Pod Your Reef

orange hairy slug?

jmoss88

my sw tank has been set up for 4 months now. last week I had a look and see an orange mass right next to one of my corals, the coral is withdrawn and looks like it is dying now and the orange thing has now been moving over the live rock. can someone identify it for me please. also is it dangerous to keep with coral?post-89780-0-92566200-1448388246_thumb.jpg

Might be cruel but take it put it in a pan with water and turn a burner on. Watch it react to the different heat tempetures before it dies.

AAAAARGH ... NOOOOO! ;-(

It is a Nudibranch of some type, however, that one could go either way as to whether it is a pest. Hard to tell from the picture. I will say that most often, the more appendages on the back the less likely they are reef safe. That said it looks like those on his back look as though they would be used for filter feeding. Dunno

This might help you find out.

http://www.nudibranch.com.au/colour_white.htm

Looks about right... which sucks because it says that they are coral predators. I'd say pull him just to be sure. Maybe kill it in a more humane way than Pieman suggested.

OOOOOr... since you have actually identified what it is & something it eats consider homing it with some throwaway softies in your sump or in a pest tank setup. Not meaning to be too far into the "all life is precious" camp, just stating an option. It's really cool looking.

But in all honestly it's a toss-up...personally I'm fascinated by nudibranch/sea slugs. But if you have nowhere to put it & it's eating something you care about then dispose of it as humanely as possible.

fishfreak0114

Aww I wish I got one of those, that's super neat I hope you rehome it. I mean, that thing looks so neat I would buy soft coral just to feed it.

Archived