SaltCritters.com

Oceanbox designs SOB sump review

aquarium

I have wanted a sump for some time now for my 10 gallon tank. A sump is a bit excessive in a tank of this size, but my tank is slightly overstocked and my ultimate goals are for longevity and stability. I do not have room for a traditional sump as my tank is not on a traditional stand. Also my dad is absolutely paranoid about leaks (which is no bad thing) and would probably complain mightily at the thought of having an overflow, and piping and having the sump below the main tank. I thought about a modified aquaclear filter, but there would not be room for a fuge and media racks and space for a heater.

Enter the stand on back sump. I really like this concept, it acts as a sump for those that are not able to have a large one, and is set up like a giant HOB, except that it is custom fitted to your tank to stand behind it.

Construction/design

Overall this product is very well constructed. The total water volume is around four gallons. The water is first pumped out of the tank and flows into the skimmer chamber. I don’t currently have a skimmer in there but plan for an aquatic life 115. There is room in there for both my heater and the skimmer. Next comes the media racks, the water flows down through the three racks. There is an emergency slot that allows the water to flow over the media racks and straight into the fuge if the racks become clogged. In the first rack, I have filter floss. It is right on top and very easy to change. On the bottom I am running purigen. It is a bit of a pain to reach down to the bottom rack, but this does not have to be done very often. The middle rack is vacant for now, but in the event I need to run a little carbon or something, it’s available. The water then enters the fuge. In here I have a deep sand bed as well as some live rock rubble and chaeto. The back of the sump is clear, so I have a small led light shining in from the back to keep the chaeto happy. The water exits through an overflow that dumps back into the tank. I have some control over how the water enters the tank.

Pictures: I don’t have any of my own from before setup, but these were sent to me prior to shipping and are of the same sump

post-85154-0-61317500-1448369898_thumb.jpg

post-85154-0-73711400-1448369902_thumb.jpg

Overall it's been a great experience working with Oceanbox, and I would gladly do it again.

Beautiful! Pictures of it runnng?

Sure! give me a minute to take them and upload

Hi I have the 12 long like Mr.Reefer. He's making light max stands for me. Are the trays in the media rack removable to get to the bottom?

Yes, each sits on little support rails, and can be lifted up

Pardon the crappy pics, I don't have a nice camera, so when I want nice pics, I borrow one.

post-85154-0-31634100-1448372872_thumb.jpg

Top down, looks like the filter floss needs changing ;)

post-85154-0-39976500-1448372873_thumb.jpg

First skimmer chamber and media racks

post-85154-0-69587200-1448372874_thumb.jpg

Refugium

I have wanted a sump for some time now for my 10 gallon tank. A sump is a bit excessive in a tank of this size, but my tank is slightly overstocked and my ultimate goals are for longevity and stability. I do not have room for a traditional sump as my tank is not on a traditional stand. Also my dad is absolutely paranoid about leaks (which is no bad thing) and would probably complain mightily at the thought of having an overflow, and piping and having the sump below the main tank. I thought about a modified aquaclear filter, but there would not be room for a fuge and media racks and space for a heater.

Enter the stand on back sump. I really like this concept, it acts as a sump for those that are not able to have a large one, and is set up like a giant HOB, except that it is custom fitted to your tank to stand behind it.

Construction/design

Overall this product is very well constructed. The total water volume is around four gallons. The water is first pumped out of the tank and flows into the skimmer chamber. I don’t currently have a skimmer in there but plan for an aquatic life 115. There is room in there for both my heater and the skimmer. Next comes the media racks, the water flows down through the three racks. There is an emergency slot that allows the water to flow over the media racks and straight into the fuge if the racks become clogged. In the first rack, I have filter floss. It is right on top and very easy to change. On the bottom I am running purigen. It is a bit of a pain to reach down to the bottom rack, but this does not have to be done very often. The middle rack is vacant for now, but in the event I need to run a little carbon or something, it’s available. The water then enters the fuge. In here I have a deep sand bed as well as some live rock rubble and chaeto. The back of the sump is clear, so I have a small led light shining in from the back to keep the chaeto happy. The water exits through an overflow that dumps back into the tank. I have some control over how the water enters the tank.

Pictures: I don’t have any of my own from before setup, but these were sent to me prior to shipping and are of the same sump

attachicon.gifsump1.jpg

attachicon.gifsump2.jpg

Overall it's been a great experience working with Oceanbox, and I would gladly do it again.

Thank you for the excellent write up! Looks like it's running well for you, would love to see full tank shot with this setup.

I should have better pics of this sump and even a short running video but didn't have a chance to post them up being too busy with custom builds.

Archived