SaltCritters.com

Ideal Tools for coral fragging

spinycheek

What are the tools you all use the most and which ones do you wish you had?

I've personally never found a use for some of the standard fragging tools and pretty much just use wire cutters and scissors.

Single edge razor works for Zoas and Montipora. I like my Dremel for cutting up duncan coral.

I wish I had one of those band saws to frag encrusting corals.

Ecotech Glue is great.

fishfreak0114

I've just used this little crafting exacting knife I bought at dollarama, and tweezers. I wish I had a better knife though, one made for aquarium use because the blades with the knife I use rust pretty quick

dremel, bone cutters, razor blade, hammer and chisel if it will get the job done.. yea a band saw would be nice lol

dollar tree or harbor freight glue here, and the cheapest plugs on ebay

fishfreak0114

I do hate the rusty blades, stainless steel my a**

So true, I've had my long aquarium tweezer things for 3 months and they already have rust spots all over them. Definitely not stainless lol

Unfortunately even hi-grade surgical steel doesn't fair well in salt water conditions with out careful cleaning and drying after use. Most 'stainless' steel aquarium equipment is lo-grade cheap stuff for affordability.

As for fraging, there isn't much I've come across I can't frag with a hammer (chisel if there's a specific bit I want off), wire cutters, hacksaw with fine tooth blade and decent craft knife.

Archived