Coral Vue Hydros

Salt Mixes - will need a new one soon-ish

Sunstar

Has anyone actually kept SPS long term on a tank with RCSP and their ridiculously high alk?

Yes I have. I've been using RSCP for a few years now and my SPSA have not had any problems. I like to keep my Alk at around 8.5 or so. When I do a water change it does spike to 9.5 so I don't dose Alk for a couple of days as I let the Alk drop by itself. No problems so far.

• 1 month later...
reefernanoman

I just bought a 200G bucket of IO. I'm going back to IO from RSCP and see what happens. I do dose anyways(twice a week). I just can't justify paying $72 for a 175G bucket of RSCP for my 28G and 10G tanks. It felt better to pay $43.29 for 200G. I have a small bucket that I will be using to store the opened bag. From what I have read, there's not much difference between RSPC and IO. Before switching, I did notice growth out of my SPS by just using IO in the past.

I used ESV B-Ionic salt in the past and REALLY liked it, not sure if I'll go back to that in the future or not.

I noticed that Kent salt has really good reviews on Dr's Foster & Smith & I like the price a little better.

I use Red Sea Coral Pro and really like it. It mixes fast and I'm happy with the results.

Isn't the alk somethin silly like 11-12 with the "pro"? LOL

I always found RED SEA Coral pro needed longer mixing times or it precipitated its calcium and caused water chemistry issues...

I didn't like it compared to reef crystals or tropic marin...

Is that the white stuff I have read about? People say they get some white hard to remove build up on their equipment. I mix mine for something like 24 hours before use

Yes. It clings to hoses as well... You cant dump aquarium salt into water you need to add it scoop by scoop mixing until dissolved between every scoop... If aquarium salt gets added too fast you can spike the alkalinity locally and it becomes hard to solubilize the calcium because it forms calcium carbonate.. Same thing with two part dosing you should add each phase with time inbetween never back to back or at the same time.

Archived