Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trav's JBJ 45RL - 1 Year Old!

Travis

Red Sea Pro Kits FTW

I'll sell you my Hannas if you aren't worried about consistency....

I actually would take them, but I'm north of the border and after you factor in shipping and the poor exchange rate, it would cost me two billion dollars!

I stopped off at a LFS on my way home last night, and I told him I was looking for the hanna kit and he actually told me to get salifert instead even though he had both. He said the hanna kit wasn't worth the cost. If the owner wanted me to spend less money at his store, then I will take his word for it...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salifert or Elos IMHO. I have Hanna checkers and they aren't worth it. My Elos kits are consistent.

Thanks Ben, you just reinforced my decision. :) I'm sure Red Sea is just as good. ;)

jedimasterben

Thanks Ben, you just reinforced my decision. :) I'm sure Red Sea is just as good. ;)

I switched from Red Sea to Elos, actually :lol:

Thanks

Decided to ditch the damsel tank idea. It's too hard to souce healthy damsels. The tuxedo came in doa....

Drained the tank to catch the two damsels that I had and they are now in my wife's tank happy as can be getting along great with her other fish.

Working on an acrylic top for my tank so I can keep fish that are known to jump. Will post pics as it progresses.

Acrylic Top inspired by Smiz.

top-1.png

Removable front pannel.

top-2.png

Going to get some video of the mill when I'm machining it.

• 4 weeks later...

Mini update

Tank still looks like two rocks with colored twigs on it. I was getting decent growth but lacking great color. The bulb combo I had was back to front, B+ C+ P+ B+. I switched out the P+ with a giesmann true actinic. Color looked better but growth stopped all together. 2 months and my alk hasn't dropped a bit. It was dropping .4 dkh every day before the bulb swap. Today I got in another B+ to swap with the actinic. Hoping to increase the total par, while maintaining good coloration. Just swapped that out today. No doubt that the actinic have much better color, just wasn't enough par, or should I say pur, to promote growth on a 4 bulb fixture. So we'll see how 3 B+ and 1 C+ do going forward.

Here's a zoomed in fts from today. Got in a nice fat yellow eye Kole tang in from Divers Den yesterday.

7f1228ac957faa637a123690d838c7d3.jpg

Current fish stock list.

Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse

Yellow head Pearly jaw fish

1 red spot cardinal fish

• 3 weeks later...

Your setosa looking a lot better! Although do you find the colour fadingg a bit? Mine is not as intense as when I first got it.

No I don't think it has really faded. I think the system it was in prior to mine may have had higher nitrates though. It's more fluorescent now than when I first got it.

a little late on this build but WOW! love the customization of the metal stuff! Sooooo clean

Thanks!

UPGRADES!!

So I sold my tunze skimmer, it was just too tight fitting in the rear chamber, basically preventing proper water flow. I replaced it with a CadLights Pls 50 elite. Love this thing!! After some adjustment and break in, this skimmer is doing great.

Also, I replaced my IM ATO with some float switches from autotopoff.com and I picked up a breakout box for my Apex. I've got the lower switch turning the ATO pump off and on while the upper will shut the ATO pump off if the lower happens to ever get stuck on. Now my favorite part, I set up a virtual outlet as a timer for the ATO outlet. Essentially, if the reservoir runs out of water, the virtual outlet timer will run out of time, turning the pump off and it will send me a text message letting me know the reservoir is empty!

I also had ordered a pair of media baskets from InTank. Really can't beat these, sooooo much easier to replace the filter floss now.

Here's a quick pick of the rear chamber as it is now.

b5f71e2da4aeaa1eff00d0e0b51ecce2.jpg

reefernanoman

Mini update

Tank still looks like two rocks with colored twigs on it. I was getting decent growth but lacking great color. The bulb combo I had was back to front, B+ C+ P+ B+. I switched out the P+ with a giesmann true actinic. Color looked better but growth stopped all together. 2 months and my alk hasn't dropped a bit. It was dropping .4 dkh every day before the bulb swap. Today I got in another B+ to swap with the actinic. Hoping to increase the total par, while maintaining good coloration. Just swapped that out today. No doubt that the actinic have much better color, just wasn't enough par, or should I say pur, to promote growth on a 4 bulb fixture. So we'll see how 3 B+ and 1 C+ do going forward.

Here's a zoomed in fts from today. Got in a nice fat yellow eye Kole tang in from Divers Den yesterday.

7f1228ac957faa637a123690d838c7d3.jpg

Current fish stock list.

Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse

Yellow head Pearly jaw fish

1 red spot cardinal fish

Nice update. Is that a Kessil AP700 on top of your tank?

Archived