Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trav's JBJ 45RL - 1 Year Old!

Travis

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cowabunga-reefer

The tank is looking really nice so far. Good luck with the damsels. I'm actually having a problem with mine right now. I have a 4 stripe(my first fish), three blue, and a talbot. The blues and the talbot are super aggressive. They have killed a couple other fish I've had in the tank..a maroon clown and just yesterday a purple dottyback

The tank is looking really nice so far. Good luck with the damsels. I'm actually having a problem with mine right now. I have a 4 stripe(my first fish), three blue, and a talbot. The blues and the talbot are super aggressive. They have killed a couple other fish I've had in the tank..a maroon clown and just yesterday a purple dottyback

Yep that's why this will be a damsel only tank.

jedimasterben

Yes, that is what happens when you try and mix Dascyllus, Pomacentrus, and Chrysiptera damsels. ;)

Are Ocellate Damsels too aggressive to house with other Damsels? They have a ton of color on them

That's the only thing I'm worried about with them. They are a Pomacentrus species, which generally sticks them into the "more often aggressive than not" category. Probably not as nasty as any Dascyllus damsel, but if you happen to win the fish lottery you can get one that is a giant dickbag. :)

Can some one read this... Feeling color blind today lol.

a39b7a2604a6af1ff03e5ea88bc83999.jpg

I am not familiar with that test kit but if nitrates are 10-20 I would look into more water changes

Yeh I agree with you Harry. Making water now. Obviously the tank isn't ready for coral if it can't complete the processing of no3 into nitrogen gas. But 10-20 is a heck of a lot better than when I started 160+ A few more months and it'll be there. I've been doing 5 gallon water changes every Saturday and testing before I do them. I think I'm low enough now that I can start dosing Nopox.

Small victories this morning :D

I started dosing Red Sea no3 po4 X 1 week ago today. I tested last Saturday, Wednesday, and today.

no3 last Saturday was at 40ppm. Today it is at 15ppm

b5e603bf9b9ef60b07fba8ff66bbc64d.jpg

po4 started at 0.20ppm. Today it is 0.00ppm

17a324dca67462293a34b7d3c85aeeb6.jpg

To note, after the first test last Saturday, I did a 10% water change. Doing another today.

Wow looks awesome man....love what youve done so far.

Man thats badass! Your organization is awesome and I LOVE your stand. I want it! haha

Thanks peeps :P

Nice. When are planning on ordering? I would give the tank much more time under normal conditions (with light!) before trying acros

No time soon lol. And not all at once. I'm going to start with montiporas and work my way up to acropora over some time.

Ok so I wanted to see what stopping dosing nopox would do.

Before stopping 3 days ago my no3 was ~7ppm (Red Sea) and my po4 was 0ppm (Hanna Low Range).

Today I ran the tests again and the results are no3 ~15ppm and po4 0ppm

Here is my history of tests since starting nopox, including today's results.

38d2222115273c8f871fcfb5e0c74b54.jpg

c2018aab5a77b3796b884727667b3ac5.jpg

What can I conclude? Nopox works? But. When po4 is undetectable, no3 can no longer be lowered via nopox.

I have a large enough container to mix up 1/3 of my system volume. Going to give that a shot to lower the nitrates to an acceptable level. Once that is achieved, I will once again begin to dose nopox to maintain the no3 levels as it has proven to be able to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Arriving Wednesday. Picked these up from the WWC live sale over on R2R.

Grizzly Adams Acropora

WWC%20Grizzly%20Adams%20Acropora.jpg

WWC Moonshine Acropora

WWC%20Moonshine%20Acropora.jpg

WWC Killer Bee Acropora

WWC%20Killer%20Bee%20Acropora.jpg

WWC Radioactive Slimer Acropora

WWC%20Radioactive%20Slimer%20Acropora.jp

Orange Psammocora

Orange%20Psammocora.jpg

Tubbs Stellata Montipora

Tubbs%20Stellata%20Montipora.jpg

I've missed the start of this build, nice work. How are you liking the hydorfill?

The WWC pieces look like a good start. They're hardy, and the acro frag would be a good test.

NoPox needs both nitrates and phosphates to work to reduce both. You figured that out already. A way to increase phosphates is feeding more (but gradually) or dosing Neophos from Brightwell.

Moar pictures of the kitty please :flower:

I've missed the start of this build, nice work. How are you liking the hydorfill?

The WWC pieces look like a good start. They're hardy, and the acro frag would be a good test.

NoPox needs both nitrates and phosphates to work to reduce both. You figured that out already. A way to increase phosphates is feeding more (but gradually) or dosing Neophos from Brightwell.

Moar pictures of the kitty please :flower:

You mean this kitty? :D

4b1737b7b0dfd3fc10c2d76f5fcff6bb.jpg

No complaints with the Hydrofill. Both the sensors and the pump do what they are supposed to do.

Archived