Pod Your Reef

1mm flatworms, good or bad?

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Just decided to look at the small creatures on my glass and saw the usual copepods, etc. then I noticed these. They are approximately 1mm long brownish translucent. They move relatively quick and turn a lot. I see them on the glass rocks, etc. there are lots. They don't seem to be hurting anything, but I've never seen planaria in real life, so I have no clue whether these guys are good or bad. My guess is these have been here for months since i havent added anything since August. So my question...keep or kill? Please excuse how dirty my glass is in that spot. I hope the picture helps. Thanks in advance :)

image_zpsidosvvgu.png

I have these in my tank, they are harmless in small numbers, but can grow explosiveley and devastate a tank potentially. just google "reef flatworm" and see some horror story pictures. In small quantites they are nothing to worry about though. The brown color comes from symbiotic zooxanthellae, and they are partially photosynthetic. They also eat small particles of food and detritus, so be careful not to overfeed your tank.

Hope this helps

fishfreak0114

I have these in my tank, they are harmless in small numbers, but can grow explosiveley and devastate a tank potentially. just google "reef flatworm" and see some horror story pictures. In small quantites they are nothing to worry about though. The brown color comes from symbiotic zooxanthellae, and they are partially photosynthetic. They also eat small particles of food and detritus, so be careful not to overfeed your tank.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for that quick reply, I'll make sure not to over feed. If their numbers get out of control, should I use flatworm eXit? They are pretty fun to watch though (I find everything interesting lol)

Nothing a friendly wrasse can't handle

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks so much for that quick reply, I'll make sure not to over feed. If their numbers get out of control, should I use flatworm eXit? They are pretty fun to watch though (I find everything interesting lol)

Never had a problem with mine, so I have never considered flatworm exit. I sometimes watch them under the magnifying glass too, I once observed one under the microscope, they are very cool critters.​

fishfreak0114

Never had a problem with mine, so I have never considered flatworm exit. I sometimes watch them under the magnifying glass too, I once observed one under the microscope, they are very cool critters.​

It would be neat to look at one under a microscope, I might just have to do that

I had those guys and still may have them? Never caused a problem other than me worrying about how to kill them. FW Exit did not work for me, they are not Planaria. . Lugol's dip didn't kill them either, helped knock them off the frag and they would cruise around in the dip.

A blue Damsel made quick work of them though, would pick them right off the glass

Yea I had these guys too. Millions of them everywhere. Tiny as hell. Flatworm exit triple doses didn't work. Lol. Target mandarin has murdered them. Wondering if they will return if I rehome the mandarin.

Archived