ReefCleaners.org

Have you ever seen a maroon lightening clown?

Hammerstone

I just saw one online and it's amazing looking!!! 500.00 but now on sale for like 399.00. Imagine if that fish didn't make it. My god. It sure is unique and beautiful.

I have to admit, if I were rich, which I am not, but if I was I would buy some of these fish probably. My husband would probably put a stop on my funds lol. But there still is incredible beauty and personality that is affordable. Thank God for our little space of ocean and our friends in the sea. I swear that clowns are dogs trapped in a fishes body lol.

jedimasterben

You must not have had the clownfish for very long lol. Clownfish may look and act all cute now, but as they age, especially in pairs, they can be nasty little bastards. My female bites me wlanytime I put my hand in the tank and has killed every clownfish I've tried to pair her with, including a maroon.

I've had the female for well over a year and the male for well over six months. Bob, the female tried to kill Babe, the male immediately and I put her in a net quickly for time out. The male stayed by her side the entire time. About five-10 min later I let her out and they've been paired ever since. She shows me her teeth and guards her nest and her mate. She has killed many CUCs for fun, territoriality. It's a 30 gallon tank and I think they will stay alone. I think she'd kill anyone else I put in with her. She hasn't bit me yet lol. I still am in love with them. Their like puppy dogs that bite and kill things hahahahhaha.

Would you buy a hundred dollar fish?

I have about a dozen times.

There is a local breeder here in town that sells the lightning Maroons for under $200

You must not have had the clownfish for very long lol. Clownfish may look and act all cute now, but as they age, especially in pairs, they can be nasty little bastards. My female bites me wlanytime I put my hand in the tank and has killed every clownfish I've tried to pair her with, including a maroon.

does she draw blood with her bites? Mine will show off and bite rocks and stuff lol. I have to have my arm in the tank to the elbow to feed my Suns and right now my arm means food is coming lol.

personifier angelfish, wrought-iron butterfly fish

Gem Tang

Why so much money for ugly (IMO) fish!!

Would you buy a hundred dollar fish?

Most I've spent on a fish so far was $60!!

Why so much money for ugly (IMO) fish!!

Most I've spent on a fish so far was $60!!

Lots of rich people in this hobby who like to collect "rare" fish.

Personatus angels are one of my favorite. This species is actually being captive-bred now so we can expect over the next few years the price should come down as long as nothing happens. How much depends on the breeder, they may not rear all of the fry. Keeping the price high could be in their best interest as they can put that money back into furthering captive-bred fish.

Gem tangs aren't rare either, it's the shipping and distribution practice that makes them expensive. IIRC you can only order one gem tang per shipment and they come from Mauritius so shipping is extremely expensive.

Not sure on the wrought-iron butterfly, I believe it's just a sought after deepwater specimen. Deepwater usually means $$$ because it's very dangerous and takes a skilled diver to not only dive at the depth, but safely catch and bring the fish up alive.

There are some really cool fish that're way out of my budget, I just try not to look at them. (I fail all the time ;))

personatus2.jpg

Here is a pair of Genicanthus Personatus, often called the Masked Angelfish. These are from the genus Genicanthus which are planktivores in the wild, making them ideal reef inhabitants.

Wild pairs can go for up to $30,000, generally sold to the Asian market. I'm not sure what the first batch of captive-bred juveniles sold for.

personatus2.jpg

Here is a pair of Genicanthus Personatus, often called the Masked Angelfish. These are from the genus Genicanthus which are planktivores in the wild, making them ideal reef inhabitants.

Wild pairs can go for up to $30,000, generally sold to the Asian market. I'm not sure what the first batch of captive-bred juveniles sold for.

omg, how beAutiful!!'

rLJLcgqb.jpg

opwbctZb.jpg

xnGTcqgb.jpg

;)

eye candy!!!

Clownfish are such horrible jerks, otherwise I'd probably get a lighting, my husband really likes them. We go over to the breeders house sometimes so get to see them plenty, that's enough for me. We had a normal maroon for our first fish but lost her in a move and she was typical pita clown. There's a lot of expensive saltwater fish, these guys are easy to breed in captivity, not like a rare deepwater fish. There's some angelfish and triggers I always drool over that are so spendy.

I see them all the time because the breeder lives like 10 min from me. So I see them at his house on meetings.. and he donated one that's on display at our LFS.... and there will be some pristine F2's at the frag swap tomorrow that are cheaper than anywhere online I've seen (very tempting). They are lovely fish.

My husband likes white stripes better :) He is just a normal clownfish sort of guy.

I see them all the time because the breeder lives like 10 min from me. So I see them at his house on meetings.. and he donated one that's on display at our LFS.... and there will be some pristine F2's at the frag swap tomorrow that are cheaper than anywhere online I've seen (very tempting). They are lovely fish.

My husband likes white stripes better :) He is just a normal clownfish sort of guy.

Naked clowns are freaking adorable too. :wub:

Archived