Cultivated Reef

dying cheato

PieMan2k

We ordered 2 bags of cheato from two different suppliers and have had them for about 3 weeks. Some has started to die and it is affecting the rest of the cheato. Any reason why or what could be causing this?

We ordered 2 bags of cheato from two different suppliers and have had them for about 3 weeks. Some has started to die and it is affecting the rest of the cheato. Any reason why or what could be causing this?

is it getting enough light, flow, nutrients? What does it look like when dying? Is it breaking apart?

is it getting enough light, flow, nutrients? What does it look like when dying? Is it breaking apart?

I'm not there right now but it's described as breaking appart, it's getting to the pump and it's getting in the display. The lights are fine we have a fuge light over it designed to grow macros and it's on ftom 10pm to 6 or 7 am

I'm not there right now but it's described as breaking appart, it's getting to the pump and it's getting in the display. The lights are fine we have a fuge light over it designed to grow macros and it's on ftom 10pm to 6 or 7 am

If it is breaking apart, it most likely isn't getting enough nutrients or light. Probably nutrients. How often does your dad feed? Do you know what the water parameters are? Or you might have too much chaeto shoved in one place. it likes to tumble, needs room to grow. So maybe the light isn't getting down to the bottom parts and that is what is dying/breaking apart.

If it is breaking apart, it most likely isn't getting enough nutrients or light. Probably nutrients. How often does your dad feed? Do you know what the water parameters are? Or you might have too much chaeto shoved in one place. it likes to tumble, needs room to grow. So maybe the light isn't getting down to the bottom parts and that is what is dying/breaking apart.

I will have to ask him to do a test of the water. If anything is low the nitrite or nitrate would be low correct?

I will have to ask him to do a test of the water. If anything is low the nitrite or nitrate would be low correct?

Well, you don't want any nitrites. But chaeto is going to use nitrates to grow.

Well, you don't want any nitrites. But chaeto is going to use nitrates to grow.

I knew one was toxic, i didn't know which one tho. Should have test results tonight

Edit: we do have a boipellet and CFO reactor could that be stripping the nitrates?

CFO or GFO?

If you have biopellets, GFO AND Chaeto that is a ton of nutrient export. Very likely that the water is simply stripped of nutrients and that is causing the chaeto to die.

Do you have any algae growing in tank? Does your glass get film algae building up on it?

I can't grow chaeto either. It did the same thing. I run a GFO reactor and oversized skimmer. It simply can't compete in a system like that, IME. It doesn't matter though, as the only benefit at this point would be for pod refuge. :) IMO/E of course.

Archived