Top Shelf Aquatics

Addicted Reefer 20 Long (57 Corals & Counting)

bryanthelp

Definitely not coralline. Coralline appears as round patches, and doesn't look like red dusting. Even if you added a rock covered with coralline it won't spread until the tank breaks in and become stable. What you see is red algae, which is perfectly normal for new tanks. Just keep up with maintenance.

From your description does this markup near my seed rock seem accurate?

2015-12-14%2000_zpsa1n7qjjs.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say you are spot on with the red slime algae in that pic.

An example of how coralline most commonly grows. It is hard unlike red slime, so if you scrub it with something like a tooth brush it shouldn't come off to easily, unlike red slime.

coralline.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Yeah those had to be mq readings. Let me get this straight, you ordered two black boxes to put over your 20l. I use two over my 75g with full coverage corner to corner. Your kenya tree is probably sun burnt man! I'd remove the optics and run one light. You can grow sps like montipora on the sandbed using just one of these over such a shallow tank.

I would say you are spot on with the red slime algae in that pic.

An example of how coralline most commonly grows. It is hard unlike red slime, so if you scrub it with something like a tooth brush it shouldn't come off to easily, unlike red slime.

coralline.jpg

Thanks

Yeah those had to be mq readings. Let me get this straight, you ordered two black boxes to put over your 20l. I use two over my 75g with full coverage corner to corner. Your kenya tree is probably sun burnt man! I'd remove the optics and run one light. You can grow sps like montipora on the sandbed using just one of these over such a shallow tank.

Haven't added the black boxes yet. Working on the mount right now. The light is going to cover my reef and freshwater tank for now. I have a larger project that I will be using these lights for eventually.

Ok! I get plenty of coverage over my 20l aio using only one. Two would bring everything to a boil!

Thanks for the advice. Glad to know that I won't have any stocking limits when it comes to my lighting.

gulfsurfer101

None, you made a good decision. Now just give it time and let your tank do it's thing. Remember it's going to get ugly before it comes to life. The first months are crazy. Enjoy it bit dont go buying that 300 clam and anemone just yet.

Test today

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

KH/Alk 13.1

Calcium 480

Salinity 1.026

Not dosing at all. Why would my KH/Alk be this high? Also how much air should be in tube with tip attached? (Salifert test)

I use Salifert. Had to have my LFS check my first results due to worrying over that air! It is almost .1 air

Thanks, still not sure why KH/Alk was high. I did a 25% waterchange today with Red Sea coral pro. I will do another test tomorrow morning.

gulfsurfer101

I've never used it but I've heard red sea coral pro is way high in alk! This may be why your getting such a high reading. Salifert had always been a solid test. The standard really.

I've never used it but I've heard red sea coral pro is way high in alk! This may be why your getting such a high reading. Salifert had always been a solid test. The standard really.

This is my first time using Red Sea before I had been using instant ocean reef salt.
gulfsurfer101

I'm saying that your 25% wc using rsp is probably what had driven up your alk. It's not the first time I've heard that people using that salt have had very high alk.

• 3 months later...

Filter changes,

Now using two AC70's

1: Refugium with rubble rock, chaetomorpha, and 6500k clip on.

2: GAC, Phosguard, Purigen, and Filter floss.

Stock

Fish: 2 Blk Ocellaris Clownfish, and a Six line wrasse.

Invertebrates: BTA, 8 Astrea snails, brittle star, and a fire shrimp.

Coral:

Zoa/Paly:

Green button polyps

Eagle Eyes

Green Bay packers

Radioactive

Kedd Reds

King Midas

Rastas

Blu/red Zoa

Date Nights

Blu Hornets

LA Lakers

Candy Apple Reds

Bam Bams

LPS:

Red/blue chalice

Radioactive Hammer

Teal Tip Hammer

Purple/blue hammer

Green/Purple two tone hammer

Green/purple frogspawn

Blue tip frogspawn

Purple Octospawn

Gold hammer

White tip purple torch

Pink Trachy

Purple/neon blasto

Red Acans

Teal favia

Orange/Red/Green Fungia Plate

Neon green Helmet Plate

Duncan

Mushrooms:

Orange Yuma

Ironman 2

SPS:

Red digi

2 Green Monti Cap

Green/Blue Bird of Paradise

Seasons Greeting Monti

NPS:

Black Sun Coral

Softy:

Pink Kenya tree

GSP

Tank looks like its coming along nicely! Wow that clown made a great recovery too. I used to use Red sea coral pro for about 6 months and also noticed high Alk like you are. I figured why overpay for salt that doesn't keep my parameters stable so I switched to reef crystals. Haven't noticed any alk swings anymore and reef crystals doesn't leave the brown residue in the mix bucket like RSCP always did.

Tank looks like its coming along nicely! Wow that clown made a great recovery too. I used to use Red sea coral pro for about 6 months and also noticed high Alk like you are. I figured why overpay for salt that doesn't keep my parameters stable so I switched to reef crystals. Haven't noticed any alk swings anymore and reef crystals doesn't leave the brown residue in the mix bucket like RSCP always did.

Thanks, I was worried about him but he is a trooper. I'm considering switching to reef crystals after I run out of Red Sea Blue Bucket. I like that the salt isn't high in ALK but I do have to dose more.

how do you like the lights looking to get one for my 20 long

I love the lights, but if I would have known about https://sbreeflights.com/. I would have ordered from Mike (owner of SB Reef Lights). The Mars Aqua has a yellow tint from using 7500k led's. Mike's lights use 395nm,420nm, and 20k/14k whites. This provides a better overall spectrum.

Alternate view of the tank with more whites. I just increased light period, combined with overfeeding a recovering NPS sun coral. I am having a little algae growth.

2078C2A5-F0CC-4D1B-AED9-3FB21D84E480_zps

Recovering NPS Sun Coral, Very Small Polyps and takes nearly 2 hours to open to this point. Feeding Mysis every 3 days.

3D837C17-B8F8-469A-8D13-6B40B0003A8A_zps

Archived