Coral Vue Hydros

dosing red sea NO3-PO4:X during cycle

Odobenus rosmarus

Odobenus rosmarus

I noticed that red sea sells a cycling kit of some sorts and that it includes NO3-PO4:X so I thought that I would try dosing it while I'm cycling my tank. I did some calculation on how much I should be dosing and I'll post that in a little bit.

So the reason I wanted to try this is because I'm trying to cycle my 4.3 gallon cube tank as fast as possible without using any bacterial additives. I have been throwing in a few pellets of fish food to "phantom feed" the tank and cause an ammonia spike while dosing nopox to theoretically supply food to the denitrifying bacteria. The reason I'm using nopox is because I had it from my last tank lol and after doing some research I believe it will help with the cycling process.

I thought that I should be using the minimum recommended dosage because my tank is literally only sand, rock, and saltwater right now. Here is what I'm doing.

1mL / 25gal / week x 4.3gal = 0.172ml / week

0.172ml / week x 20 drops/ mL = 3.44drops / week

3.44drops / week x 1week / 7days = 0.49drops / day or 1 drop every other day

I will begin testing today or tomorrow and over the course of a week or so, see if this has any affect along with the phantom feeding. Hopefully this will actually speed up the curing of my rock and cycling of my tank!

Oh right, one question for anyone interested in this thread: I have my tank beside a window so it gets some sunlight throughout the day. I read that algae will compete with the beneficial bacteria colonizing my rock and sand so that I shouldn't have the tank lit/near a window. Should I move the tank or is having some sunlight fine?

That part was false about the competing, it's ok to have sunlight and algae I use it too but I prevent all algae manually so again sunlight and algae in my tank are not connected. The no pox is also unrelated to tank bacteria the cycle simply persists and it would take meds to stop it

Curious if the rocks you are cycling have coralline on them, or is the rock barren and dry rock you are cycling

Was it live rock or dead rock

Archived