ReefCleaners.org

How to switch Out leds to new LEDs ocean revive

Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

What's up guys so I want to switch all the LEDs in my ocean revive s206 to just a straight all blue fixture

What do I need to know to do this

Is there anything you guys Can help me with this process as I never done this before

I want to add

9 Royal Blue 450nm 5 Blue 470nm 4 Violet 420nm

This is what it looks like in the inside

D1CB77ED-915D-43F7-B2B2-AFB55A13DCAA_zps

Desolder the leads and hope they didn't epoxy or solder down the thermal slug. If it's thermal paste its an easy thing to switch chips out.

Why go all blue if you don't mind me asking?

Spiderguardnano

I run a all blue tank for straight Zoas no need for the other spectrums as I paired it with a halide so all the other led aren't being used I rather just switch to all blue and have it for thy purpose

Will this be hard or risky?

6A768F8E-659C-4AC1-9C07-2B1ADEDD0D5D_zps

If it's paste with the leads being the only thing holding the diodes down its a breeze otherwise you might find it to be difficult/impossible.

jedimasterben

IMHO, I wouldn't bother if you're using it over zoanthids. Most that are only colorful under blue light have a pretty low tolerance for light, and using just the blue channel with the halide is probably getting right up to or over their saturation points.

It's super easy, I used a pair of hemostats to gently pull up on the led while desoldering. It's more than likely not an adhesive thermal compound, every one I have messed with was just paste. Make sure you clean the board good and use fresh thermal compound when you reinstall. Easiest way I found was to apply a small dab to the board (it doesn't take much), solder one lead in place, then push down on the white part of the led with tweezers to get it to come down nice and tight to the board, then while holding it down solder the second lead in place. I haven't had one fail yet. Also, take note of the polarity of the led, one lead should have a tiny minus symbol stamped into it.

Archived