pelphrey

reefernanoman

Full tank shot just because!

IMG_3778_zpsisjrmvwz.jpg

Eshopps Nano Cube Sump!

IMG_3779_zpsstqwwmb5.jpg

Reef lighting up the house!

IMG_3773_zpssuupgcya.jpg

Great job! I use Kessils over my two tanks and love them.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a very poor picture, but I decided on Sunday during my water change I would cut up some coral and use some of the frag plugs I've had for awhile. I used a little to much glue, next time I'll use less. I have multiple colonies of zoa's that are doing well so I plan to start cutting them up a little at a time. So far the two plugs are looking good after a few days!

First%20Frag_zpswkdumvav.jpg

It's been a few months since I've added any fish to my 27 Gallon Cube Reef Tank. I went to my LFS to give them some dry goods I no longer needed, we all know where this goes from here! Afterwards I was looking around and they had 4-5 Firefish and I knew that at least one would work in my tank. So I had them feed the fish for me, I watched them for a few minutes then made my selection. The Firefish is always front and center and has been a great addition to my reef tank!

The Chaetomorpha I got from 915MANG in January/February has started to take off!

Out of the USPS Box and bag, 5 ml syringe for comparison -

Cheato1_zpsyfv9s54o.jpg

Small compared to the MA887 -

Cheato2_zps3peqavue.jpg

Add to the Sump -

Cheato3_zpsosk0oj8n.jpg

Chaeto as of now -

IMG_4265_zpsxrhiwmsi.jpg

IMG_4264_zpseomxhnt6.jpg

IMG_4263_zpswuqpie6l.jpg

I am using the CREE 5000k LED Bulb over my refugium with a small lamp clamp both of these from Home Depot. Intially I removed the shroud from the socket, this turned out to be a bad idea. With such a small sump (Eshopps Cube Sump) the light was hitting my skimmer.

Chaeto4_zpsez13cyfv.jpg

I wanted to do a "raw" video since I haven't done one in awhile. No editing & no voice over. Just me talking about my cube reef tank, going over some issues and talking about the equipment. Nothing new and nothing special.

IMG_4271_zpspg32kzhm.jpg
IMG_4272_zpsou4uzny7.jpg
IMG_4273_zpsrm1bonar.jpg
IMG_4274_zpsokokqxiv.jpg
First go at fragging -
IMG_4277_zps0il8wxbs.jpg
IMG_4278_zpsfyre4tjs.jpg
Pond Matrix -
IMG_4279_zps9hdsklc8.jpg
BRS Mini Reactor with GFO/Carbon -
IMG_4280_zpsjmfiymm8.jpg
IMG_4281_zpseqw30guf.jpg
IMG_4282_zpsrry8yjs9.jpg
IMG_4295_zpskd2kfv7j.jpg

Nice video and pics. Everything looks like its doing very well. The algae doesn't look too bad. Good job!

Nice video and pics. Everything looks like its doing very well. The algae doesn't look too bad. Good job!

Thank you! It really isn't all that bad, but since I know it is there I want it gone! haha

Well the time has come. I started ordering some of the pieces I will be using on my tank upgrade. I got a bucket of Pond Matrix, a Spectrapure Booster pump for my RODI, the Super Reef Octopus SRO-2000INT Skimmer and some Red Sea test kits. The test kits will provide much needed information on my water quality and what coral I can keep. Eventually I would like to try some SPS coral. The SRO-2000 skimmer will allow me to stock heavy on the fish side & the booster pump will prolong my RODI filters and allow me to make water faster and more effectively. The tank I am looking to get will be in the 100-120 gallon range. I plan to use a 40 breeder as a sump with 3 sections. First section will be the drain/skimmer section, middle section will be a refugium and the last section will be my ATO/return section!

I decided I wanted to try fragging some of my zoanthids, I have a few different coloration's in my tank. First off PLEASE do your research, there have been numerous reports about how TOXIC this coral is, especially when cutting it. It was a very simple process, I did wear rubber gloves and eye protection... Please do so if you plan to cut ANY coral. Over all all of the heads that I cut are growing well and bounced back wonderfully.
I also decided it was time to trim my chaetomorpha as it was outgrowing my refugium. I decided I would take this to my LFS. I ended up trading 3 healthy bags for some frozen food.

Wasn't really looking for to buy anything else for the cube, yesterday a local guy had the Vortech MP10QD he was getting rid of (His tank cracked) and said he would give me everything he had for the tank if I bought the pump.

IMG_4459_zpsjyogz9pk.jpg

IMG_4456_zps56d92ksg.jpg

The Kent supps are over half full. One purple up is almost empty and the 2nd one is brand new. I've never used any of these, not sure if I will. I'll have to research! Also got some fish food that I currently use.

IMG_4458_zpslhtitvtp.jpg

IMG_4460_zpsh9sssa3v.jpg

Wet side wasn't cleaned when the pump was taken offline. I dropped it in some vinegar last night!

IMG_4461_zpshgos1thy.jpg

IMG_4464_zpsbyvll5df.jpg

IMG_4465_zpslyslvf0r.jpg

Since I am in the process of upgrading tanks I decided to finally install the BADFISH AIO 20 Long kit I bought awhile back. The plan it to take move everything from my cube over to the 20 and part out the cube to fund the upgrade.

Black Silicone -

IMG_4548_zpsjtaenjoq.jpg

IMG_4549_zpsjwinrqe3.jpg

IMG_4550_zpsxogsj9p9.jpg

Not so good iPhone pictures with gel filter -

IMG_4553_zps4zkz5kjy.jpg

IMG_4554_zpsqyetfpkd.jpg

IMG_4556_zpsbbxytwf2.jpg

IMG_4557_zpsyvrmnzif.jpg

IMG_4558_zps0iwdplx6.jpg

IMG_4559_zpssoi1emxf.jpg

I scored a Vortech MP10 QD for a really nice price last week. I did soak the wetside in vinegar and cleaned it up before I installed it on my tank. Along with the MP10 I got everything the guy has left from his tank (His tank cracked). Bag of sand, bag of salt,, purple up, kent marine supplements and some fish food. I traded the bag of salt into my LFS and went ahead and picked up a Orchid Dottyback, why not I had store credit!

I finally put together the BADFISH AIO kit. It is a very nice AIO kit for 20 long aquariums. I will be moving everything from my cube over to the 20 long. After the move I will be parting out my cube and some equipment to fund the upgrade I am working on. I've built a stand before so I decided I would do it again for the 20 long. I failed this time around, I ended up gluing some pieces together in a rush and had to trash the stand. I am still trying to come up with a stand.

Last I picked up 2 Ocean Revive T247's. I really wanted to go with Kessil's but at the moment this is something I can't afford. I'll have to figure out which tank I am going with, either a 4x2x2 120 gallon or a 5x2x2 150 gallon. If I go the larger tank I will be getting another T247. I may opt to go with 2 T247's and keep my Kessil A160 and add another. Who knows!

Scrapped the 2x4 stand.. Went to PetSmart last night and they had a stand on clearance for $55, I knew I should have stopped by PetSmart before I bought the 2x4's last weekend. Stand was put together last night, I have some plumbing pieces coming from BRS once those pieces are in the move will begin.

IMG_4578_zpswn815yog.jpg

10 minutes in the reef tank. The cube has been an amazing first reef tank, it was very fun to build. The build process of one of the best parts for me when it comes to setting up a new tank. For most of us there comes a time when we want more.. We want a bigger tank, more coral, more fish and larger fish. Everything in the cube is doing well, and I am hoping to get it all transferred to the 20 long very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is an update on the 20 gallon Badfish AIO (All In One) kit. I decided against rebuilding the 2x4 stand or building another 2x4 stand. I popped into Petsmart to check out the stands that they had and got lucky! They had the perfect stand on clearance for $55. I knew I couldn't build a stand and wrap it nicely for the price of the Top Fin stand so I picked it up.
I also received 2 Jebao RW15's that I will be using for flow on the "Tank Upgrade". I picked them up used for a price that couldn't be beat. I wanted some Vortechs but right now I can't justify spending the money on those pumps.
Since I am using a sump on the 27 gallon cube I am using a Home Depot Clamp light and LED bulb over the refugium. I do not want to use that same light on the fuge in the 20 gallon. I got a great deal on the JBJ Nano GLO refugium light!
All of the fish tank project's have been delayed due to summer and projects going on around the house. I hope I get my new tank ordered this year, it may have to wait until 2017. The good thing is that will allow me time to save more money and I should have all of the hardware I need by then!

[MEDIA=youtube]

[/MEDIA]
After not even a year I am both happy and sad to say that the 27 gallon cube has been taken down. Sometime in the near future I would like to upgrade to a bigger tank and to offset some of those costs I have moved my livestock into a 20 gallon that I installed the Badfish AIO kit on.

The cube was my first reef tank build and I couldn't be any happier with the way that it turned out. I learned a lot with this tank. The tank is a standard Marineland 27 gallon cube with the stand I picked up from Petsmart. I drilled the back for two 1" drains to use the herbie method. I originally used a 5.5 gallon tank as a sump. I wanted more water volume so I upgrade to the Eshopps Nano Cube Refugium sump. This sump is awesome!

The transfer begins -

IMG_4905_zpsidrurbvm.jpg

IMG_4907_zpsgdn4gmga.jpg

IMG_4909_zpspskwb18n.jpg

IMG_4912_zps75dotspu.jpg

IMG_4913_zpsdx6fbjfa.jpg

IMG_4914_zps21pleugj.jpg

IMG_4915_zps57fdfyjp.jpg

IMG_4916_zpsb1hs4dmm.jpg

IMG_4917_zpsrymhh2vd.jpg

The rock work in the 20 is temporary. I wanted to get everything in the tank and get the tank running. I'll give it a week or 2 to adjust and redo all of the rock work. Since I am not longer running a skimmer or reactor on the 20 (Not at the moment anyway) I plan to do more frequent water changes. Somewhere in the 1-2 gallons every few days ballpark.

IMG_4931_zpswiabwnlc.jpg

IMG_4908_zpsyh6hm1s3.jpg

JBJ NANO Glo refugium light

IMG_4925_zps8ggxmtyy.jpg

I haven't decided if I want to start another thread for the 20 long or if I want to continue to build onto this thread. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

In this video I document the process of me taking down the 27 gallon cube and moving everything into the BADFISH 20 gallon long AIO. It took a couple of hours to complete this task and I am thankful that I did this for a few different reasons. Reason number 1 is I am now able to clean the cube and some of my equipment and get it sold. The second and most important reason is that I learned a lot during this process. I now have a better understanding on what it takes to move a tank, even if this is just a nano tank. Moving from one tank into another wasn't all that bad, the worst part was getting the cube cleaned and moved into the garage.

I still have the cube and it is for sale! I will miss the cube as it was my first full reef tank build and easily the most in depth build I have ever done myself. I now look at the cube as a stepping stone as I learned a lot through out the build. I learned that you can truly fit an amazing amount of equipment into a small cabinet! I also learned what I would like to have in the future.

Please continue this journey with me and lets see where I go in this hobby in the future! I do appreciate everyone following along on this build - providing input and generally asking questions. I will have a full in depth review of the Eshopps NANO Cube Refugium sump in few day!

Archived