Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stocking Help for 10 gal

aaron186

I am wondering if it is safe to add a clown to my 10 gallon reef that I have had running for about 2 months. I just added yellow watchman today. My tank is pretty invert heavy right now. If it is safe to add a clown? is it safe to add a pair? or perhaps something else? I have read the nano fish guide already and I know it says 2-3 fish in a 10gal. I just want to check that my tank isn't overstocked with inverts to make adding more bioload a poor choice.

Tank Specs:

10 gal standard rimmed tank with glass lid

current orbit marine led 18in

HOB AC 30 running floss and chemipure blue

Hydor 240 nano powerhead

Eheim 50w heater

10 lbs live sand, 12 lbs live rock

SG 1.025

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate all currently 0ppm using API test kit

Maintenance Schedule:

Weekly 1-2 gal water changes

Dose Seachem Aquavito Fuel day before water change (to avoid overdosing - will change once more established and experienced)

Fish:

1 small yellow watchman goby (hoping he will pair with my pistol)

Inverts:

1 Skunk Cleaner

1 Fire Shrimp

3 sexy shrimp (might have lost 1 - have only seen 2 for about a week)

1 randal pistol shrimp (I hear him once a day - which is 1 more time than I have seen him)

1 emerald crab

2 pom pom crabs - (haven't seen those expensive bastards since I added them)

4 hermits with lots of empty bigger shells

8-10 snails of various species

Corals:

10 frags of various designer zoas (rasta, sunny d, fire ice, pipe, gorilla nipples etc)

1 neon blue green ricordea mushroom frag

1 green/brown mushroom frag

1 blue mushroom frag

2 frags of hammers (might trade one for a torch)

1 plate coral

2 acan frags

1 favia frag

1 candy cane frag

1 small montipora frag

Picture to come when lights go back on

Since you just added the goby I'd maybe give it a few weeks because of the new bioload but other than that you should be fine. You may want to add a skimmer unless your very strict on your heavy water changes. Sounds like you have a nice tank tho. Good luck on your goby and pistol shrimp!

Thanks. Ill post pics shortly. I had planned on waiting a few weeks before adding anything. I did a lot of research into a skimmer and I don't think I am going to use one. I have a 10 gal tank with glass lid with plastic lip that has 2 inches of clearance for the skimmer lid. All of the in tank skimmers are a min of 3.5 inches wide and won't fit with my lid. Not to mention the space they will take over. Have been toying with idea of getting an AC110 with in tank basket and putting a nano skimmer inside of it - expensive. Or a HOB skimmer but have read mixed reviews. I have been good about my water changes so far

Given what I have in there now (lots of inverts and yellow watchman) how often and how much should I feed my tank?

very seldom actually, cut your pumps to feed the YWG and inverts 2-3 times a week, with a mixed diet of herbivore and "meaty" nutrient dense pellets. My YWG prefers hakari herbivore blend of micro pellets. A mixed diet is always important to herbivores and omnivores as they can develop life threatening diseases from not eating enough veggies.

as for a pair of clowns, its honestly up to you.

Do you want to change the water more often?

Do you want a skimmer?

Will you mind the aggression the YWG is going to show to the pair of clowns?

If you are set on a pair, then get a pair. I honestly believe that you might benefit from owning a mame skimmer if you get a pair of clowns.... Its more expensive but honestly for fish heavy nano setups its great!

Its all about husbandry and making decisions that cater to your lifestyle.

- my 2cents

happy reefing

A few comments. First is the Pom pom crabs. I have one that I got as a hitcher in my rock and he's cool. He hides all day, but if you want to see them, shine a flashlight in the tank and you will catch them on a rock edge doing tai chi.

Second, you're pretty much limited to goby, blenny, clownfish for 10 gallon fish. I had a pair of clowns in my 8, but they got velvet and died :(. I now have no fish until Christmas to rid tank of velvet and I will get a new pair. I'm doing an 11 gallon tank after Christmas.

Third, in the new tank, I am going with a tunze 9001 protein skimmer in the tank. Lots of great reviews, a little over $100, and supposedly effective and quiet with a small size. No air stones to replace like the mame. I would recommend the skimmer if you are going to add clowns or other fish to the tank. Clowns are pigs, but they're great.

Good luck.

Archived