SaltCritters.com

Peaceful Caribbean fish

melson

Hey guys,

I've looked and looked and in my research I can't seem to find a suitable Caribbean fish for my tank. The goal is biotope so a species from the Atlantic is required.

I currently have an 8g with a Yellow-head Jawfish, Pederson shrimp, hermits and two porcelain crabs.

I have caves and hiding spots but my porcelain crabs love to hide in them.

I'd prefer a fish that will roam the tank. Peaceful and reef safe. Here are my options:

-Chalk bass

-Royal Gramma

-Masked Goby

-Pygmy Angel (Centropyge argi)

-Cardinal fish

All of them seem risky. Anyone have any other suggestions? Or can anyone recommend the above as a safe bet? There's always the neon goby but I wonder about it's compatibility with a jawfish.

Any help would be appreciated!

jedimasterben

How do all of them seem risky? They're all peaceful. I would only recommend the masked goby for your 8 gallon, though, the rest are too large and too active.

Why would a neon goby, a peaceful cleaning fish, be incompatible with a jawfish?

My research has said they all enjoy consuming ornamental shrimp.

I've heard masked gobies don't live long.

Something that hangs around the sand (neon goby) might clash a little.

I kept sexy shrimp with a royal gramma and a cardinal and never had problems. The fish were too obsessed with eating out of the water column and never paid any attention to them. Your experience may vary.

Neon gobies don't share the same area as the Jawfish. They also don't spend a ton of time swimming out in the water column either though. Mine spends a lot of time perched on my cleaning magnet, until he sees me near the tank, then he swims about hoping for food.

I'd consider any basslet (eg Swissguard), bass (eg chalk, tobacco, harlequin), gramma (eg royal, black cap) as fish to consider. Yes, your shrimp may or may not get munched. A Pygmy aka Cherub angel is another option, but it might nip at SPS. Though if you are going for a biotope tank, you are unlikely to have SPS.

I have a Caribbean biotope tank -- check out my sig for the link. In it I have a neon goby, pearly jawfish, swissguard basslet, and royal gramma.

Archived