inTank Media Baskets

Gooburz Deep Blue 80 Breeder Build! 27 Nov, lots of PICS!

Gooburz

jedimasterben

Thank you! Let me start off by saying this was and has been my dream tank, didn't know Deep Blue made this thing of beauty but when I learned it 1 month before deployment my mind was made up. Thankfully due to a REALLY busy mission and crappy port calls I was able to save up some major $$bank$$ and made this possible. I am VERY understocked right now on fish but that will be fixed soon enough but like I always do I'll be taking it slow.

No baffles in the sump and no micro bubbles either coming into the display so that's a huge plus. I have a HUGE amount of room in the middle of it which I'm going to make a custom egg crate box and do a nice big Chaeto grow out. Skimmer is still breaking in so hopefully it will be rocking within a few days.

Right now the Bubble Mag 7 is in like 10" of water so I hope that is enough, I've read some stories that those skimmers like deeper waters so we'll see. It's acting like a new skimmer with the bubble level really low since the tank is SUPER clean right now with a VERY light bio-load. Now I gotta get on the hunt for the egg crate, hopefully Home Depot has it and then find some Chaeto and get my POD population growing.

As far as fish I was looking to do either 1-2 larger fish or a school of fish, my wife likes the idea of a school of fish and I was debating between Cardinals or going Chromis fish. She likes the Chromis the most so I'll try to add 4-6 of them in the near future.

Awesome that you're getting no bubbles in the display, that would be really shitty. My thoughts are on the skimmer, though, if the water level is allowed to fluctuate at all it will basically stop skimming. :/

• Like 1

Awesome that you're getting no bubbles in the display, that would be really shitty. My thoughts are on the skimmer, though, if the water level is allowed to fluctuate at all it will basically stop skimming. :/

I'm kinda realizing that right now, debating on returning it and getting something else. Suggestions?

I'm kinda realizing that right now, debating on returning it and getting something else. Suggestions?

Make a single baffle lol

Theres a few members here that cut acrylic.. You just need a square :)

I'd hit up oceanbox designs. He can cut some baffles that are almost drop and play. (might need some siliconing)

Make a single baffle lol

Theres a few members here that cut acrylic.. You just need a square :)

I'd hit up oceanbox designs. He can cut some baffles that are almost drop and play. (might need some siliconing)

lol I don't want baffles in my sump, I love the no baffle sump design. My issue is getting this skimmer to start producing skim. It is in about 10-11 inches of water which is fine to run a deep sump (more water volume is good) but it just won't get skim pushed all the way up the tube, it just bubbles a inch above the water line. Only thing I can think of is to take it out and vinegar soak it for a few hours, rinse it and then see if that works.

lol I don't want baffles in my sump, I love the no baffle sump design. My issue is getting this skimmer to start producing skim. It is in about 10-11 inches of water which is fine to run a deep sump (more water volume is good) but it just won't get skim pushed all the way up the tube, it just bubbles a inch above the water line. Only thing I can think of is to take it out and vinegar soak it for a few hours, rinse it and then see if that works.

It might not have run in yet. Also your tank is probably still very clean and there won't be much in the way of DOC to remove yet.

As for the fluctuating water level messing with the skimmer, you'll also find another issue with such a large volume of water is top up control with evaporation. You'll loose several litres of water with out much of a drop in water level, so you may find your salinity bounces around a bit.

The fix would be a small tank/box at your desired sump water level with your return pump in it. This will allow you to keep a constant sump water level. So getting a 12x18x10 tank (just random numbers I don't know what a small standard tank size is but there must be one that's about 10 inches tall) and just sitting it in the front or back corner of the sump on the return side will instantly solve your issues and you can just monitor and top up/fit your ATO in the little tank to compensate for evaporation. No need to drain the sump to silicon baffles and wait 2 days for it to cure before refilling.

If your not happy with the BM and want to change it, look into recirculating skimmers, the drain exit on most units sets the water level in the skimmer as most can be used external to the sump and fluctuating water levels don't effect them. I'm supper happy with my Hydor performer.

• Like 1

Lack of baffles is fine as long as you have a reliable topoff system to maintain the proper water level. New skimmers will take up to a week to "break in" (build up a slime coat on the inside of the tube). Until then the surface tension of the bubbles will be broken by the clean plastic. Wait out the week and see if things get better.

Lack of baffles is fine as long as you have a reliable topoff system to maintain the proper water level. New skimmers will take up to a week to "break in" (build up a slime coat on the inside of the tube). Until then the surface tension of the bubbles will be broken by the clean plastic. Wait out the week and see if things get better.

I gotta keep in mind it's only been running for literally 24 hours, I'm not patient with some things haha. Yes the tank is super clean and I do have the Tunze 3155 ATO and it has kept the tank spot on, took it for a test run and it's awesome, no complaints hands down. I keep a 5 gallon for a reservoir which I would expect to last a week maybe.

I think tomorrow I'm going to still give it a good vinegar bath and then set it backup. Right now I do have a really small bio load as well so I'll just be patient for another week. Tomorrow I'll be adding 3-4 cardinal fish to the tank for a small schooling fish which should help with the bio load.

It might not have run in yet. Also your tank is probably still very clean and there won't be much in the way of DOC to remove yet.

As for the fluctuating water level messing with the skimmer, you'll also find another issue with such a large volume of water is top up control with evaporation. You'll loose several litres of water with out much of a drop in water level, so you may find your salinity bounces around a bit.

The fix would be a small tank/box at your desired sump water level with your return pump in it. This will allow you to keep a constant sump water level. So getting a 12x18x10 tank (just random numbers I don't know what a small standard tank size is but there must be one that's about 10 inches tall) and just sitting it in the front or back corner of the sump on the return side will instantly solve your issues and you can just monitor and top up/fit your ATO in the little tank to compensate for evaporation. No need to drain the sump to silicon baffles and wait 2 days for it to cure before refilling.

If your not happy with the BM and want to change it, look into recirculating skimmers, the drain exit on most units sets the water level in the skimmer as most can be used external to the sump and fluctuating water levels don't effect them. I'm supper happy with my Hydor performer.

Oh and water level isn't fluctuating at all, I've checked it about a dozen times in the past 24 hours haha. That isn't a bad idea with putting a standard tank inside the sump but I don't want to mess with another pump. The Tunze will keep the tank leveled off just fine. I just need to give it more time to break in. Some of the reviews have said it seems to take a little longer than some skimmers so I can live with that, but all have been positive with the Curve line.

Oh and water level isn't fluctuating at all, I've checked it about a dozen times in the past 24 hours haha. That isn't a bad idea with putting a standard tank inside the sump but I don't want to mess with another pump. The Tunze will keep the tank leveled off just fine. I just need to give it more time to break in. Some of the reviews have said it seems to take a little longer than some skimmers so I can live with that, but all have been positive with the Curve line.

No other pump involved. Just put your current return pump in the second little tank as well as your ATO sensor and then all evaporation will show and be corrected in the return pump chamber (little tank) like you'd see in a normal baffled sump.

• Like 1

No other pump involved. Just put your current return pump in the second little tank as well as your ATO sensor and then all evaporation will show and be corrected in the return pump chamber (little tank) like you'd see in a normal baffled sump.

Go figure, I go down a few hours later to grab another beer and the skimmer appears to be tuned in and pulling good skim... Cracks me up, and I actually had to take a few gallons out of the sump and it really seems to be dialed in now

• Like 1

Hahahaha. Always the way.

My understanding is BM skimmers need 8-9 inches of water, I see a lot of people say they have to run them deeper. If you raise the water level in the sump again for what ever reason, put the skimmer on a stand to keep it at the water height you have now.

Would seriously recommend doing something to setup a return chamber smaller than the entire sump in the long run. But hey if it's working for you and doesn't cause any issues go with it.

Hahahaha. Always the way.

My understanding is BM skimmers need 8-9 inches of water, I see a lot of people say they have to run them deeper. If you raise the water level in the sump again for what ever reason, put the skimmer on a stand to keep it at the water height you have now.

Would seriously recommend doing something to setup a return chamber smaller than the entire sump in the long run. But hey if it's working for you and doesn't cause any issues go with it.

yeah I'm in the process of looking to do a single baffle for the skimmer to make things easier in the long run. I've seen a lot of designs using acrylic so I'm going to do my own to give me another project to work on. Figure in about a month or so when the sump needs a good cleaning and I have to drain it I'll put in the sump then. Run the tank 24 hours without the sump so it can cure then let it rip!

yeah I'm in the process of looking to do a single baffle for the skimmer to make things easier in the long run. I've seen a lot of designs using acrylic so I'm going to do my own to give me another project to work on. Figure in about a month or so when the sump needs a good cleaning and I have to drain it I'll put in the sump then. Run the tank 24 hours without the sump so it can cure then let it rip!

Good plan, I was going to suggest putting the skimmer in a little tank/box with your primary drain going into it then it overflowing into your main sump, however I thought about it for a second and figured putting the return pump in the little tank would be far more effective for top up control etc and have the same overall affect. But yeah I've seen people run a skimmer in it's own tank inside a sump as it's recirculating the water in the little tank faster supposedly making for a more efficient skim? I'm not convinced, but would also solve the water fluctuation issues.

• Like 1

Tank already cleared up for the end of the evening, shocked it cleared up as fast as it did.

20151121_200231.jpg

20151122_001258.jpg

Really need a better camera, all I got is my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

Looking good. Don't sweat it about the cell phone man. You do know that the note 5 can take pics in RAW right? Download the Adobe Lightroom app(its free) and you are most of the way to a DSLR for free!

Stand looks great and tank is looking awesome too! I like the minimal rock design you have going on. :)

Yeah I don't want to clutter it with rock, I'm going to put a few small pieces in the sump with Chaeto within the next week. And thank you btw!

Looking good. Don't sweat it about the cell phone man. You do know that the note 5 can take pics in RAW right? Download the Adobe Lightroom app(its free) and you are most of the way to a DSLR for free!

I'll have to check out that app and see if it helps, thanks!

Need some cheato? Or do you have line?

Maybe think.about other macros?

I need to get some Cheato this week, hopefully tomorrow if all goes well. I'm exhausted so I need to get to bed so I can get things rolling tomorrow.

More pics to come!

So the skimmer seems to be almost broken in and was able to lower my water level in the sump. Added a little school of Cardinal fish today as well and they are semi retarded hahaha. We'll see how they are when I feed them tomorrow or this evening but they are exploring.

20151122_143909.jpg

UGH the pic is so horrible but that's my phone.

20151124_135434.jpg

Love the orange coloring on my open brain, it grew to twice the size while I was deployed and is loving the new Reef Breeders light

20151122_221020.jpg

• Like 5

Nice! I have one cardinal. I've noticed that it reuses to eat pellets, only frozen. Dunno why.

Yeah I had one before that didn't eat flake food or pellets so for the past year I only feed frozen foods and they all go crazy for Mysis shrimp.

That tank is very sexy. I love the dimensions.

I wake up everday now loving this tank more than my 20L and 40B. Skimmer is finally breaking in now and things are going very smoothly for now.

• Like 1