Pod Your Reef

Gooburz Deep Blue 80 Breeder Build! 27 Nov, lots of PICS!

Gooburz

Glad you finally got a skimmer that worked out for you. The bubble magus never quite worked out for me either.

yeah I was very sad it didn't work out but at least I was able to sell it and not lose money really.

I wanted to put cheato in an egg crate box just like you did, but i was told it tends to come out and clog the skimmer intake. have you had this happen?

Have not had a single problem with the cheato, I mix and turn it a few times a week and have not had a single issue with it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Your tank is looking great, nice addition of the mp40 and vertex skimmer! I run two mp40s on mine at 60% each, which is why my sand doesn't stay put! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been awhile since my last update but I recently added a Diamond Goby and this amazing Pistol shrimp that I've never seen anything close too in color. I'm just amazed at the color, well ya'll will see below.

I'm about to frag half of my MASSIVE Frogspawn that must be well over 60 heads easily, it's taking up too much room in the tank. But here are the pics of my Shrimp. I'll try to get some FTS soon!

In the bag at the store

20160814_115149.jpg

In the acclimation bucket, man the fire orange/yellow and the bright purple claws!!! So excited!

20160814_121829.jpg

• Like 8

Wow beautiful pistol shrimp, I have a bunch in my tank that came in on my live rock and finally saw one that made it into my overflow the other day.... clear with a neon green claw, kind of boring ahah. I believe mine are symbiotic with sponges and not the kind that pair up with shrimp gobies.

• Like 2

That's one of the best-looking Pistols I have ever seen so far - nice catch!

I couldn't believe nobody had bought it after it being there for a month!

That pistols an insane color! :wub: Never seen one like that before

The owner of the store who is a friend said he's never seen one like that in 20 years in the hobby.

Wow beautiful pistol shrimp, I have a bunch in my tank that came in on my live rock and finally saw one that made it into my overflow the other day.... clear with a neon green claw, kind of boring ahah. I believe mine are symbiotic with sponges and not the kind that pair up with shrimp gobies.

I have a smaller one in my desktop tank that is the simple tan/brown and I still love him, they are really cool creatures.

what he said! That is the coolest pistol shrimp I have every seen. Nice score

Thank you, best find I've found so far!

• Like 1

The messy sump but it works like a champ!

20160715_200137.jpg

Side view

FB_IMG_1467649837113.jpg

And my small Deep Blue desktop cube, Older pic.

20160512_143619.jpg

It's a bullseye pistol, am I correct? I've never seen other colored pistols on sale at my local LFS except for candycanes and yellow-striped ones.

Yes you are correct, and the owner is trying to get more but I guess they are not easy to come by....But I'm stoked I was able to snag him and he's/she's been doing awesome in the tank. Wish it would pair with my Goby already

I heard that they usually pair with YWG though. At least, that's what I'm reading online.

Typically they will pair with multiple gobies but it's like getting a clown to host with something, it's hit or miss or takes awhile. Right now I have a Diamond goby so maybe they will pair up eventually.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Typically they will pair with multiple gobies but it's like getting a clown to host with something, it's hit or miss or takes awhile. Right now I have a Diamond goby so maybe they will pair up eventually.

I bought a hi-fin goby and candycane pistol about two weeks back which a pair in the LFS. The goby died within few days due to unknown causes and I got a replacement goby (same species) and they paired up in less than a minute (seriously). I allowed them to have free roam in a QT tank so they could find each other easily. I've observed the goby 'bring' food to the shrimp like a little puppy dog. Kinda cute, actually.

Hopefully yours will pair up soon. :happy:

Just reread your post again - I think Diamond gobies are non-shrimp pairing gobies, if I'm not mistaken. They're primarily sandsifters. Shrimp gobies are like Wheeler's, Randall's, black cap, dracula, hi-fin, tangaroa, pink bar, brown banded etc. An exception is YWG, which can pair with pistols. Maybe that's why the goby is not pairing up with the pistol (wrong species match)?

Just throwing an idea out there - hope I don't offend you.

• Like 1

I bought a hi-fin goby and candycane pistol about two weeks back which a pair in the LFS. The goby died within few days due to unknown causes and I got a replacement goby (same species) and they paired up in less than a minute (seriously). I allowed them to have free roam in a QT tank so they could find each other easily. I've observed the goby 'bring' food to the shrimp like a little puppy dog. Kinda cute, actually.

Hopefully yours will pair up soon. :happy:

Just reread your post again - I think Diamond gobies are non-shrimp pairing gobies, if I'm not mistaken. They're primarily sandsifters. Shrimp gobies are like Wheeler's, Randall's, black cap, dracula, hi-fin, tangaroa, pink bar, brown banded etc. An exception is YWG, which can pair with pistols. Maybe that's why the goby is not pairing up with the pistol (wrong species match)?

Just throwing an idea out there - hope I don't offend you.

NO not offended at all, it wouldn't suprise me if there were gobies that wouldn't host, makes sense. That just means I get to get another fish! lol. I'll be on the look out for another Goby.

I do love what the Diamond has done to my sand bed, between him and my sand sifting starfish I'm thrilled how clean the sand bed is!

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

NO not offended at all, it wouldn't suprise me if there were gobies that wouldn't host, makes sense. That just means I get to get another fish! lol. I'll be on the look out for another Goby.

I do love what the Diamond has done to my sand bed, between him and my sand sifting starfish I'm thrilled how clean the sand bed is!

That's good. Be sure to share a pic of your new shrimp goby when you get him. :happy:

That's good. Be sure to share a pic of your new shrimp goby when you get him. :happy:

I will once I find one that I like, I'm in no rush knowing the Diamond Goby is doing well and the Pistol Shrimp is good

• Like 1

It's a bullseye pistol, am I correct? I've never seen other colored pistols on sale at my local LFS except for candycanes and yellow-striped ones.

You are correct on the Bullseye Pistol, and the owner is still trying to get some more in

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I made a DIY filter sock drainer that I found the build plan thing on here. Went to Home Depot, got the 4 inch tubing, the topper and bottom piece and few holes a filter floss later....well it's 24 hours and working like a champ still. Might add a few more holes or a couple slits even to improve water flow even more.

Fresh made, tested with the sink water to see how the flow worked.

20161016_122241.jpg

Installed and running smoothly.

20161016_123223.jpg

Top down looking inside it, may be a bit too much filter floss but that's easy to change!

20161016_123437.jpg

And of course a couple FTS of the tank

20161012_182503.jpg

20161012_182455.jpg

Sorry for the long pause with the updates

OH I almost forgot my top down pic, it's a few months old but I forgot to upload it here!

20160703_145313_2.jpg

• Like 2

Cracking up, all I hear multiple times a night is "snap, crack, snap, crack" from my Pistol Shrimp defending his territory which is appearantly the whole left side of the tank. He has an amazing tunnel system for the 3 rocks on that side. Keeps the fish on their toes

• 2 weeks later...