ReefCleaners.org

Pistol shrimp hidden

aaron186

I recently set up a 10 gal reef. My stocking goals were a goby/pistol pair and clown fish and various other inverts. I have added all my coral frags and other inverts and the only left is the pair and the clown. I went to my LFS yesterday. They had a pistol shrimp (randal/red band) but did not have watchman in stock. Have had a hard time finding a pistol so I bought it. Since placing it in the tank I haven't seen it yet. I can't even figure out where he is burrowed. If I add a goby will he be able to find him? I really only want a goby if ill be able to pair it. Otherwise I think there are more interesting fish I could add (I only want 2 fish)

Wouldn't stress over not being able to see the pistol shrimp. Specially if he doesn't have a Goby to be paired with. It will take a good period of time for your pistol to be more used to the vibrations of onlookers. Mine stays hidden normally, but after 2 years, I see him once or twice a day now, but originally he was a ghost.

Yes, they will find each other. It might take a while. You can put the gobie in a plastic cup it try and get it, in the cup over the shrimps hole.. I tried that and the gobie escaped before I could get it over the hole. That said, mine it took about an hour to find the shrimp. When I introduced my male Yasha a couple months later, he found the female and the shrimp in about 2 hours.

I hear my pistol more frequently than I see him. Except at feeding time. He usually makes an appearance long enough to grab a tidbit of food then dives back into the burrow with it.

will he be able to find my goby when i get him this week?

Like the others mentioned, The goby will find the shrimp. But, during this process, please keep your tank covered if not already. I'm up late at night, and walking around, the vibrations of me walking by my tank spooked my yasha goby into jumping out of the tank. Had a fish stick in the morning. This was 18 months ago or more, I never got another one.

Archived