Cultivated Reef

Jim's 3gal vase, Again

fullmonti

Started up a vase I had a few years back. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/264508-jims-3gal-vase/

Wanted to keep it simple this time so just went with a Aqua Clear 30 HOB. Also gives more room in the display area. Just started it cycling yesterday so will be a while before it looks like anything but thought I'd go ahead & show as I go.

Glued some dry rock up

IMG_1505_zpsowahh357.jpg

IMG_1504_zpsxhwt6u6u.jpg

Main rock

IMG_1506_zpsjipv40pm.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsgsk7sxar.jpg

Rock to hide the overflow

IMG_1512%20S_zpss9h8czaz.jpg

Right side

IMG_1513%20S_zpslrz061kt.jpg

Front

IMG_1514%20S_zpsp1chqrij.jpg

Left side

IMG_1517%20S_zpsqfkp2ici.jpg

Top showing overflow

Not very exciting at this point but just a start. Will post more when it gets some life in it.

Good to be back in salt water again, it's been a while. I am in the very early stage of putting a 54 corner tank together for a Ritteri nem, clowns & some other fish. more on that when there is some thing to show.

If you want to check it out my other tank is very, very, very different!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/133898-jims-display-paludarium-my-first.html

Thanks

Jim

Started up a vase I had a few years back. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/264508-jims-3gal-vase/

Wanted to keep it simple this time so just went with a Aqua Clear 30 HOB. Also gives more room in the display area. Just started it cycling yesterday so will be a while before it looks like anything but thought I'd go ahead & show as I go.

Glued some dry rock up

IMG_1505_zpsowahh357.jpg

IMG_1504_zpsxhwt6u6u.jpg

Main rock

IMG_1506_zpsjipv40pm.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsgsk7sxar.jpg

Rock to hide the overflow

IMG_1512%20S_zpss9h8czaz.jpg

Right side

IMG_1513%20S_zpslrz061kt.jpg

Front

IMG_1514%20S_zpsp1chqrij.jpg

Left side

IMG_1517%20S_zpsqfkp2ici.jpg

Top showing overflow

Not very exciting at this point but just a start. Will post more when it gets some life in it.

Good to be back in salt water again, it's been a while. I am in the very early stage of putting a 54 corner tank together for a Ritteri nem, clowns & some other fish. more on that when there is some thing to show.

If you want to check it out my other tank is very, very, very different!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/133898-jims-display-paludarium-my-first.html

Thanks

Jim

Cool little setup. I really like that in tank surface skimmer you built. Come up with that yourself?

Yes I made a larger version for an overflow on a frag tank in the past. Seemed like as good a way as any for a really small overflow.

• 2 months later...

So much for keeping it simple.

The rocks fit in the tank but were so big there really wasn't enough room around them. I found a 12" X 12" cylinder vase & thought the one inch all the way around would help. I can't believe how much difference it makes. The 10x12 held 3 gallons the 12x12 holds 4.5 & the extra room is just as surprising. When I saw that I began to think that little filter was just too little. I didn't want to redo the overflow & liked how the Aqua Clear hooked up to overflow & returned water into the tank. Long story short I ended up buying another AC 30 & cut the front off it & glued that to a larger filter box I made. This HOB filter holds 1 gal.

IMG_1794_zpszbccaqtq.jpg

IMG_1793_zpsnsj3x4sk.jpg

IMG_1795_zpsazrua2jq.jpg

Used a MJ600 for the return because it is about the same flow as the AC 30 (the overflow wouldn't handle more flow). The chamber were the pump is also houses the heater & a Mame airpower skimmer. Sadly I still had to put a small pump in the tank to get enough circulation.

I'm using a LeterMeter I have used before for ATO. The one down side to that little overflow is it has a very small reservoir it overflows into so this is just about the only way to do an ATO anyway.

IMG_1802_zpsnxodn9tn.jpg

There is actually enough room for some kind of micro algae & make a refugium in there too, if I can find a small enough light for it.

For now at least this little tank sits in my filter room/mudroom.

IMG_1798_zps2hla8d2s.jpg

IMG_1806_zpsnpmpekwa.jpg

I am setting up a 54 corner tank & the tank in back of this tank is a 30 breeder that is the refugium for the 54, the 18" cube below is the sump for the 54 & the tank in below in the back is the filter for very large paludarium (terrarium with a water feature) There will be a build thread for the 54 in the next week or two.

All these photos are just cellphone photos for now. I will be getting some more coral next week from LA & will take some good shots after they are in. There is a Blue Damsel (he never stops moving!) & a Wheelers Shrimp Goby with the biggest Tiger Snapping shrimp I have ever seen (he never stops moving sand!) The reason I went ahead with a skimmer is between two fish & NPS corals that get fed A Lot this little tank is pretty over stocked so more water & a skimmer seemed worth the trouble & expense.

That's it for now. I really like this little tank!

Jim

P. S. one thing I hate about little tanks, the ratio of how many gallons per cords!

I can't see the pictures either.

If you have them on photo bucket and you move their location (like to a different album) it will change the image address. Thats what could have happened here.

Photobuket is down for maintenance right now. Just my luck, post a bunch of new stuff & photobuket goes down the next morning. Their website says they will be back up soon, what ever soon is.

Awesome!! Where did you get your 12"X12" cylinder? I've been looking forever, and all I could find is a 10"X10" cylinder from eLive.

Found them at a wholesale glass & pottery place (mail order), Could get one for $50 or four for $104 both plus shipping. I got four because I wanted to do another one later but I could sell one or two for what I have in them $35 each plus shipping, still in their original packing just need the right size box to put them in. They also have 10x16, 10x20, 10x24 & 10x30. here is a link

http://www.glassandpotteryvase.com/products.php?cat=7&pg=3

I wouldn't mind having one of the 10x16 but they come in a four pack too. All the other 10x sold in packs of two. The 12x12 is very nice quality glass BTW.

Some livestock photos. All with strobe so colors on some are not as nice as with the reef light but much better quality other than color.

4.5%20tank%201_zpswvozmxqz.jpg

I am so happy with this yellow sun coral. This is only the second night in the tank & looks this happy (LA is the best!). I will get some photos later with the reef light & you will see how much prettier the brain coral is.

4.5%20tank_zpsurjh0prj.jpg

Remember I said I had the biggest pistol shrimp I ever saw?

4.5%20tank%202_zpsqezfcm4l.jpg

Have two dendros, this is the bigger of the two, both are happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new photos

4.5%206_zpsuh19wum8.jpg

Ended up making a taller version of the filter box with a cover & decided to do a refugium.

4.5%201_zpsdjwy9lnz.jpg

Day time with reef light

4.5%204%20comp_zpswatpjvz7.jpg

Night time with flash

4.5%205_zpspe5klhl2.jpg

Day time reef light. The little bubble tip was a hitchhiker that came in the bag with a coral. It was so small I couldn't even tell what it was at first. It has tripled in size in about a month. It's not very pretty but hope that will come with time?

That's it for now

Jim

Really glad to see you back with another pico! :)

It looks great too! How far away from the water do you have the Kessil? I'm kinda surprised it's not burning corals!

Thanks glad to be back.

The light is about one foot away. It hasn't been on full but maybe 80%. Algae has started growing so I've been trying it turned down some. Our local club has a PAR meter but haven't gotten around to finding who has it to check exactly how bright it is. Guess I'll be doing that.

• 3 months later...

Tank is doing fine but the NPS were a bit big to start with & are getting bigger. In fact the sun coral spawned a while back & there are little baby ones all over the tank now. I think the hitchhiker anemone is trying to split. It started to move a little & killed my little duncan coral before I got to move it. The every next day it moved back & became elongated. Then it started moving down the side of the rock out of the light.

All things considered, mostly needing more room & how much I feed the NPS. I'm going to move the live stock into a 12" cube & made a bigger HOB filter & skimmer for it. I will start a new thread when I do but will post a link to it here. Before that I will post a video of the cylinder tank.

Thanks All

Jim

• 5 months later...

I did move everything into a 12"

spown%201_zpsuxue00vl.jpg

I ended up setting up a 18" cube & will move all this & some more I have in a small holding tank into the 18"er when it is cycled good.

Here is a link to that build

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/378042-jims-18-cube-tank/

One thing that is in the holding tank is a little Golden Dwarf Moray Eel I just got from LA. Been wanting one of them for years. Cute as he can be, named him Maury

Archived