ReefCleaners.org

16oz Saltwater pico start

Audi4k

Documentation of my attempt to make a fully functioning pico ecosystem fully closed.

I plan to fully silicone the jar shut once I get it to a sustainable system.

I also plan to document this on here (because it seems like an appropriate place ;) ) and because I want to hear the take on this from other people! Thanks all, enjoy reading the posts I hope.

Tonight I began :D hello determined. I have gotten the lid (thank you Amazon), the sand (from an established aquarium), algae, and a shell. Those and the saltwater have been put into the jar and closed up for the moment, I want to progress through this slowly, establishing a good spot for the algae and learning how to effect it's growth as to not have too much or too little.

I live in Colorado, and it's winter, which means that my mini tank will kill anything that goes into it unless it likes living at 60 degrees F. (Or less!) so I have gotten a small, flat Betta tank heater for 68 degrees and siliconed it to the bottom.

My ultimate goal is to make this work, but also to make it clean looking. Will post pics once the silicone is dry.

Thus far:

-live sand

-established water (correct parameters)

-algae

-shell

-apparently a pulsing Xenia road tripped with the sand- wasn't planning on animals yet!!! XD

-Solar powered lid with plastic wrap underneath (to protect and temporary seal).

Things are going well, the Xenia that hitchhiked in has opened up! And is pulsing 1-2times a min. My heater is far to large for the tank, had it plugged in during the day and the temps on the tank were above my 80 degree mark on the temp sticker! Heater will be unplugged during the day and plugged in at night when room temps are 60's. All is well!

Those beta heaters are always on. You could put it on a timer so it only turns on when you want it to. If you get it down right, you would have minimal fluctuation.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived