Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

firefish are taking a beating from the dottyback. they been hiding all morning and came out to feed but tails all shredded. i regret getting dottyback. i took a risk but was hoping he wont be an asshole in a big tank. i was wrong =(. gonna try and catch him but he hids alot in the rocks....

Well damn. Hope you catch him. Trade out for a royal gramma- much more docile.

i chose the dottyback over the royal gramma cuz i heard the gramma can be even more aggressive! so many mistakes...

jedimasterben

Royal grammas actually are the less aggressive ones - most of the confusion comes from a dottyback that has the same coloration and similar shape and is nasty as hell. While I can't say that there aren't any asshole legit grammas, they are for the most part pretty docile and will stick to a little cave that they'll live in.

• Like 1

Vacation pictures look great - sorry to hear about the anthias - what was the final outcome and did you get the skimmer fixed/replaced?

All my bartlett anthias are gone now. Really not sure what happened. I am guessing maybe the trio I recently got had internal parasites? They were from a fresh shipment at the LFS.

Skimmer is still noisy. I am trying to sell it locally and once I do, I will get a new one. Although MD has 10% off right now and I am tempted to get one now.

contemplating an IM 25 with tonga branches....saw a long shallow tank at the LFS yesterday with tonga branches and really dig the look....

Do it so I can follow along for ideas for mine!

• Like 1

i chose the dottyback over the royal gramma cuz i heard the gramma can be even more aggressive! so many mistakes...

I went to AP today and picked up a lyretail and the last gramma :) My dottyback was trying to mess with the lyretail, but nothing bad. Surprisingly the Midas blenny was a much bigger jerk chasing the lyretail around until it hid between the back wall and the Mag float. My bartlett was actually running interference swimming between the dottyback and the lyretail. It was pretty funny to watch. The gramma is in a different tank and found a hole in the rock and just hid there all day.

• Like 1

I went to AP today and picked up a lyretail and the last gramma :) My dottyback was trying to mess with the lyretail, but nothing bad. Surprisingly the Midas blenny was a much bigger jerk chasing the lyretail around until it hid between the back wall and the Mag float. My bartlett was actually running interference swimming between the dottyback and the lyretail. It was pretty funny to watch. The gramma is in a different tank and found a hole in the rock and just hid there all day.

they had two gramma when I was there. Did you get any corals??

Do it so I can follow along for ideas for mine!

hahaha...still debating with myself over it....

No corals this time, not much room for any right now. Working on my parts list for my next tank, going with the XL425 so I went down there for the anthias, gramma, and to get a price on the skimmer I want. They sold one gramma before I got there and held the other for me. Should be ordering the tank mid-July, but going to go slow with this build and will start stocking it after we take a vacation in mid-October. Giving the pukani rock a muriatic acid bath tomorrow and then going to let that cycle for the next few months in the garage.

• Like 1

I had a tube anemone just like yours! Beautiful but it kept moving itself close to corals and they have a potent sting. I finally had to sell mine. I think a tank with a big open sand bed filled with them and like a rock arch with other corals would be awesome. Hmm if I ever change my tank up that would be an option:)

• Like 1

No corals this time, not much room for any right now. Working on my parts list for my next tank, going with the XL425 so I went down there for the anthias, gramma, and to get a price on the skimmer I want. They sold one gramma before I got there and held the other for me. Should be ordering the tank mid-July, but going to go slow with this build and will start stocking it after we take a vacation in mid-October. Giving the pukani rock a muriatic acid bath tomorrow and then going to let that cycle for the next few months in the garage.

awesome you are getting a 425XL. can't wait to see it up later this year.

I had a tube anemone just like yours! Beautiful but it kept moving itself close to corals and they have a potent sting. I finally had to sell mine. I think a tank with a big open sand bed filled with them and like a rock arch with other corals would be awesome. Hmm if I ever change my tank up that would be an option:)

I didn't know they can move!! I hope mine will be ok in the corner right now. at night, the tentacles get reallly long.

contemplating an IM 25 with tonga branches....saw a long shallow tank at the LFS yesterday with tonga branches and really dig the look....

Take a picture next time, I love tonga scapes.

• Like 1

haha...no faith.

Haha well the 12g is gone so there's only one solution... But seriously even if you don't get it I love the reefer:) oh and what you've shown of your house lol

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I need to do the floss on top of the sponge, my sponge is absolutely filthy from the Refugium goop and crud that goes over. I wonder if I can just buy another sponge for cheap!

I need to do the floss on top of the sponge, my sponge is absolutely filthy from the Refugium goop and crud that goes over. I wonder if I can just buy another sponge for cheap!

I am using some of the floss you sent me...hahah. I washed the black sponge a few times already but it's impossible to get all the detritus out.

I didn't know they can move!! I hope mine will be ok in the corner right now. at night, the tentacles get reallly long.

Yep it would flip directions in its tube and by the time I pulled it out its tube was probably a foot long! At one time it actually came out in a spot that had to be in the middle of its tube it was crazy.

• Like 1