SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

HarryPotter

*Skimmer*

This is how its running currently. Awesomeness.

IMG_5897_zpszi7i4hmp.jpg

And in my sump. Ignore the apex breakout box and airline tubing LOL its a work in progress!

IMG_5889_zpsynqmpdwu.jpg

• Like 3
ninjamyst

Big water change today and cleaned the skimmer cup. Put it on the lowest setting and went out for dinner. Came back to water on the floor again. Took the whole skimmer out and ordered the Aquamaxx Q2 from MarineDepot. I really want to keep using a skimmer with DC pump but all the brands look like knockoffs of each other. At least the Aquamaxx bubble plate looks different. Its also nice MarineDepot backs Aquamaxx and carries replacement parts. 3rd skimmer for this tank. Hope it is the last.

Last time I ordered from MarineDepot, it took almost a week to get here. Hope this time is faster since I am going out of town soon and want the skimmer broken in before I leave.

• Like 1

I guess you're running the skimmer as high as you can?

For me it was the fact the SRO XP 2000 INT had an overpowered pump and only a neck extender allowed it to settle down. This leaves me just enough space to get the cup out, otherwise I would have had to change skimmers.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I guess you're running the skimmer as high as you can?

For me it was the fact the SRO XP 2000 INT had an overpowered pump and only a neck extender allowed it to settle down. This leaves me just enough space to get the cup out, otherwise I would have had to change skimmers.

What I had to end up doing with mine was install a ball valve between the output of the pump and the skimmer body, just like with old AC return pumps to slow their flow down.

• Like 2

This is how its running currently. Awesomeness.

IMG_5897_zpszi7i4hmp.jpg

And in my sump. Ignore the apex breakout box and airline tubing LOL its a work in progress!

IMG_5889_zpsynqmpdwu.jpg

sumps are supposed to be a cluster f?c{

• Like 1
teenyreef

Good luck with the new skimmer. As a guy who will have a sump...some day...I really appreciate hearing about all the things not to do and the expensive stuff not to buy :D

• Like 3
ninjamyst

Skimmer came today. The venturi intake was broken. !@#!@#!. Not cool. Now I dont know if the integrity of other parts of the skimmer is also compromised from whatever abuse broke the venturi intake. Gonna ask for a full refund.

The only positive is that the order arrived much faster than last time I ordered from MarineDepot. Hoping they will issue me a full refund.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Geez, you seriously need a break! Just not right all these things happening. I feel for ya. I'm frustrated for you. :rant:

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I've had 20+ orders with BRS, they're been awesome. Free shipping on every order, super good packaging, and 10% back in points!

• Like 1
ninjamyst

Got 3 bartlett anthias last weekend and they are not doing so well. They look beat up and never come out to eat. I wonder if my male Lyretail is beating the crap out of them. If they dont make it, I may just sell the male Lyretail and swear off anthias. I love them so much though.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

OH Jesus Ninja! What else??? Damn it you need a serious break. This is how I felt with my 60 shallow. Ruby red rogonets dined, dino, cyano, the tank won.

• Like 1

Also, it's so much bigger than I expected so when it does overflow, water doesnt just drip back into the sump, it hits the back of the stand and slides down under the sump...

that must smell awesome when it does that :P

You are not having good skimmer or anthias luck :( I'm sorry ninja.

I had been contemplating anthias because they are so beautiful but it seems they aren't as hardy :(

• Like 1
phillyclownfish

Got 3 bartlett anthias last weekend and they are not doing so well. They look beat up and never come out to eat. I wonder if my male Lyretail is beating the crap out of them. If they dont make it, I may just sell the male Lyretail and swear off anthias. I love them so much though.

Sorry to hear that. Wanted to get these but obviously the risks are there...Looking to get another tang though. Hopefully this one comes a bit more healthy.

• Like 1

OH Jesus Ninja! What else??? Damn it you need a serious break. This is how I felt with my 60 shallow. Ruby red rogonets dined, dino, cyano, the tank won.

yea, pretty sure one died already. haven't seen it in days. oooh well. I am off to the caribbean on Saturday for 5 days. Who knows what I will come home to.....my sister will be house sitting for me and she never owned a fish tank before.....

that must smell awesome when it does that :P

You are not having good skimmer or anthias luck :( I'm sorry ninja.

I had been contemplating anthias because they are so beautiful but it seems they aren't as hardy :(

Yea, it sucks when it overflows. Now I empty the skimmer cup every 1 - 2 days so even if it does overflow, it is not filled with rotten spoiled egg crap. My original trio was doing great for a month...sigh.

Sorry to hear that. Wanted to get these but obviously the risks are there...Looking to get another tang though. Hopefully this one comes a bit more healthy.

Tangs are great. I am tempted to get another one too but none of the ones that fit into this tank interests me.

• Like 2

I am off to the caribbean on Saturday for 5 days. Who knows what I will come home to...

BF's dad is "watching" my tanks for me while we are gone next week. And by "watching" I mean he is gonna peek into the room and say, "yup, those are fish tanks...." :scarry:

• Like 5

yea, pretty sure one died already. haven't seen it in days. oooh well. I am off to the caribbean on Saturday for 5 days. Who knows what I will come home to.....my sister will be house sitting for me and she never owned a fish tank before.....

Yea, it sucks when it overflows. Now I empty the skimmer cup every 1 - 2 days so even if it does overflow, it is not filled with rotten spoiled egg crap. My original trio was doing great for a month...sigh.

Tangs are great. I am tempted to get another one too but none of the ones that fit into this tank interests me.

Yeah, they were doing great for a while! :( Thats so frustrating. Maybe you just haven't gotten the right trio yet :)

• Like 1

Have a great trip, I hope things go better while you are gone. It's so frustrating to be worried about what's going on while you're gone!

• Like 1

BF's dad is "watching" my tanks for me while we are gone next week. And by "watching" I mean he is gonna peek into the room and say, "yup, those are fish tanks...." :scarry:

hahahah. is he at least gonna feed the fish? I am gonna have to teach my sister how to put the Gyre into feed mode...she will probably screw it up still.

Yeah, they were doing great for a while! :( Thats so frustrating. Maybe you just haven't gotten the right trio yet :)

hahaha....maybe i will try one last time =P

Have a great trip, I hope things go better while you are gone. It's so frustrating to be worried about what's going on while you're gone!

Thanks! I am very excited for the trip =).

• Like 3

hahahah. is he at least gonna feed the fish? I am gonna have to teach my sister how to put the Gyre into feed mode...she will probably screw it up still.

Nope, I only feed once or twice a week as it is. I plan to feed them the 3 days in a row leading up to vacation and hope for the best!!

Nope, I only feed once or twice a week as it is. I plan to feed them the 3 days in a row leading up to vacation and hope for the best!!

you only feed your fish once or twice a week????? I am sending PETA after you....hahahaha

• Like 2