Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

came home today to a dead bartlett anthias on the sandbed. =*(. i bet the male beat the crap out of it. it was looking fine yesterday and eating like usual. same thing happened when I lost one of the female lyretails. the second one died shortly after. i was just about to go get more this weekend. sigh. should have done it last weekend.

Aww. I'm sorry, Ninja :(

Hey how's the violet cespitularia doing???

did you get some???? it's doing good now. the color isn't as quite vibrant as the pic on their website but i am hoping it will get better. it is very different than my previous xenias. the stalks are a lot longer, and it looks more like a tree. pretty cool.

• Like 2

came home today to a dead bartlett anthias on the sandbed. =*(. i bet the male beat the crap out of it. it was looking fine yesterday and eating like usual. same thing happened when I lost one of the female lyretails. the second one died shortly after. i was just about to go get more this weekend. sigh. should have done it last weekend.

Are you sure it was female? I've read online that bartletts, more so than any other anthias, have a tendency to turn all male. It falls in line with my experience too. I started off with 2 female bartletts. One day, I found the other dead and to my surprise, it had turned to a male as well. Really unfortunate as the colors on bartletts are beautiful. Now I have a lone bartlett with 3 lyretails... Been debating on adding a pair of female bartletts but I'm afraid it'll turn out the same.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was female? I've read online that bartletts, more so than any other anthias, have a tendency to turn all male. It falls in line with my experience too. I started off with 2 female bartletts. One day, I found the other dead and to my surprise, it had turned to a male as well. Really unfortunate as the colors on bartletts are beautiful. Now I have a lone bartlett with 3 lyretails... Been debating on adding a pair of female bartletts but I'm afraid it'll turn out the same.

how do you tell male vs female? mine are pretty small and body is light pink with a small stripe of yellow on top. The remaining one I assume is starting to turn male as the yellow strip is getting more vibrant and bigger.

how do you tell male vs female? mine are pretty small and body is light pink with a small stripe of yellow on top. The remaining one I assume is starting to turn male as the yellow strip is getting more vibrant and bigger.

The male barltett will also have the elongated front dorsal spine, similar to how a lyretail male as one. If you can get the remaining bartlett to display its dorsal, you could figure it out. I use a mirror to trick mine into elongating its dorsal.

With the dead bartlett, I had the luxury of being able to manually manipulate the dorsal and examine it. I do think it's much more difficult to identify if bartletts are male or not since other than the front dorsal, the color changes are much subtler.

You can see on Chris' photo (not mine, check out his algae farm elos build. The guy is an anthias hoarder) the dorsal.

fish_bartletts_zps8626b6ee.jpg

• Like 4
reefernanoman

Cleared out my sandbed and moved a few things around

New FTS

26646941085_630218c77a_c.jpg

Rics get their little corner

26373575870_093f9098c6_c.jpg

Nems are doing great and stopped moving.

26373566690_e0efcb92e4_c.jpg

Setosa top down

26553662142_7b3373d731_c.jpg44

Monti caps top down

26646932895_35a827bd4f_c.jpg

Really really nice!

• Like 2

If you choose to do another set of anthias, you should get the ventralis. They look amazing. I would like one, but I'd have to give up my established anthias.. not enough room.

after i found out how much they cost, i passed =P.

Really really nice!

thanks!

• Like 3

did you get some???? it's doing good now. the color isn't as quite vibrant as the pic on their website but i am hoping it will get better. it is very different than my previous xenias. the stalks are a lot longer, and it looks more like a tree. pretty cool.

I've had the DFS blue cespitularia for a while and also have the vargas. I didn't get the CR one. But I like it! Definitely different than xenia and definitely looks tree-like. It seems to show more color in lower light for me.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Y U scrape back of tank but not overflow box? The overflow box is also glass :P

Looks awesome as usual! I love all the height variety... Makes me want to screw with my rocks again lol

• Like 1

I've had the DFS blue cespitularia for a while and also have the vargas. I didn't get the CR one. But I like it! Definitely different than xenia and definitely looks tree-like. It seems to show more color in lower light for me.

I will have to move mine then. It's directly under the light.

More pics please. :)

Will do =).

Y U scrape back of tank but not overflow box? The overflow box is also glass :P

Looks awesome as usual! I love all the height variety... Makes me want to screw with my rocks again lol

how??? i am too lazy to put my hand in there and do it and the tunze magnet can't get there

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I will have to move mine then. It's directly under the light.

Will do =).

how??? i am too lazy to put my hand in there and do it and the tunze magnet can't get there

Lol i just use a razor for all my scraping needs
  • Like 1
ninjamyst

stupid skimmer overflowed again last night and left a small puddle of water in front of the tank. also means underneath the sump is totally soaked. 3rd time this happened. time for a new skimmer.

HarryPotter

stupid skimmer overflowed again last night and left a small puddle of water in front of the tank. also means underneath the sump is totally soaked. 3rd time this happened. time for a new skimmer.

AquaMax CO1... It works awesomely. Can't hear at all with the stand door closed.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

have you experienced the same issues as discussed in this thread?

http://www.3reef.com/threads/aquamaxx-cones-co-1-review.155025/

• Collection cup hard to clean
  • Air silencer filling with water in 9.5" water (probably not an issue for us)
  • Producing mostly wet skimmate

I have mine raised on 1 layer of eggcrate.

Skimmer cup easy to clean. There's 1 small area in the cup that I use a paintbrush for because I'm OCD

Skimmate adjustable; currently running super dry.

I'll get some photos and a video for you later.

• Like 2