ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec 3 Pico Reef

Tuffryu

That salt is so high in KH, be careful! :) I prefer blue bucket and larger water changes. KH for blue bucket is around 8.

Thanks markalot. Yea, the high KH is why I want to use it. I'm finding it tough to keep up and I don't do large water changes because the swing is too dramatic. 8 seems a low, my tank has done much better at 9-10.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks markalot. Yea, the high KH is why I want to use it. I'm finding it tough to keep up and I don't do large water changes because the swing is too dramatic. 8 seems a low, my tank has done much better at 9-10.

I can see that, like dosing but with new water. I prefer to run at 7 to 7.5 for the acros but nothing wrong running higher if it works.

Got some new stuff.

First this refractometer by Agriculture Solutions. Yes yes, I've been doing salinity checks with a cheap ass Instant Ocean Hydrometer all this time :(

Great quality product, to say the least and based on the reviews it's pretty accurate. Did a quick check to find the tank at 1.024.

27523897445_10acc8d3fd_h.jpg

Next, the acrylic frag mount came in. Love this damn thing Teeny! So nicely made. Sorry for the shitty pic, but the lights went off for the night. Problem is I don't have any plugs lol, so I'll just either glue them to rocks or just stick them into the holes directly.

27523896965_d5592d01b3_h.jpg

Finally some testing - around 10pm. The Kh levels suck. I've bumped up dosing by 2ml - totaling 12ml a day now. This will probably need to be adjusted as I start water changes with coral pro.

27247375450_05f6f5b226_h.jpg

Last shot of the tank before the dismantling of corals.

27425461562_d3673643e8_h.jpg

Summer time is here, and man Seattle is already in the high 70s and low 80s. Keep them tanks cool folks!

Thomas1221

Nice tanks man! I just caught up on your thread and there is some good info here. Just started a spec v and I want to do an sps dominant tank, so I really like yours. Really interested in seeing how the tank transfer goes.

Nice tanks man! I just caught up on your thread and there is some good info here. Just started a spec v and I want to do an sps dominant tank, so I really like yours. Really interested in seeing how the tank transfer goes.

Hey Thomas, thanks for the comments dude. Yea this isn't the first time doing a transfer so I feel confident. Good luck with the spec v.

SPS is the only way to go.

Thomas1221

What kind of filtration are you planning to use? Are you going to drill the new tank? If I read correctly the height of the new tank was only 7in? That seems like it may be hard to aquascaping.

What kind of filtration are you planning to use? Are you going to drill the new tank? If I read correctly the height of the new tank was only 7in? That seems like it may be hard to aquascaping.

No drilling. I'm planning to use the Aquaclear 20 HOB that I am currently using on my eheim tank. The only thing I use in the HOB is chemipure blue and floss.

The tank is 7 inches high correct. Do some searching for the ADA 60f and you'll be amazed at the aquascaping ppl are doing in these tanks.

Probably one of my faves here.

Another good one here.

• 2 weeks later...

It just can't be Friday enough. Happy Friday!!!!

Nothing new to report other than some new equipment that I've been buying to prep for the new tank.

- Ecotech MP10

- Sunsun 603b canister

- ADA lily pipes

Still at it. Removing frags and glueing them to rubble.

(my other birdsnest)

27697276026_01a8c39160_h.jpg

Old pic of when I first bought this frag - approx 6 months ago. Always good to see growth.

27697275916_11ce4379ee_h.jpg

Happy Father's Day everyone!

So my HOB Aquaclear filter finally died. I turned it off to feed, and when I plugged it back in it just stopped. Took it apart and washed it inside and out with no avail. I can hear the pump turning on, but that's about it. Sucks.

Luckily, I had the Sunsun canister I purchased off Craigslist for a mere $15 and decided now would be the time to put into use. I had to give it a big vinegar bath as it was filthy so I left it running in the garage for a few hours. The cool part was the guy who sold the canister to me also gave me lily pipes to go with it! Both in and outlet pipes at that.

27165832823_77630765ac_h.jpg

This is the first time using a canister so I wanted to make sure how to operate it LOL. It's pretty basic, straight-forward. Inside went floss and chemipure.

27702395761_f812de4ddc_h.jpg

Lily pipes are nice I must admit. He had these on a betta tank lol.

27165832333_e4d1048de2_h.jpg

This should be good in the interim. I hate the fact that this is yet another thing that needs to sit around the tank and the f***ing green hoses are an eye sore. Atleast the thing is fairly small compared to others and the flow is awesome.

27702794061_0e59485f37_h.jpg

The acros seem to like the flow.

27777201625_7d9fbe2111_h.jpg

The orange setosa is growing well and looking kinda grotesque. Probably my favorite coral of all. Will have to frag him pretty soon.

27702795111_de5958bb7a_h.jpg

Unfortunately, the tank looks like a train wreck, but atleast everything is growing. I've started doing water changes with Coral Pro to acclimate everyone.

27777200625_d63ee04ca6_h.jpg

Acro frags encrusting at the base is always a good sign.

27777198975_ea7981209b_h.jpg

Hope to start the new tank next month. We'll see how far I get on the kitchen backsplash first :(

Happy Sunday folks!

I just keep buying shit - no idea why.

Actually I take that back, when I go to the LFS and come across frags that are too good to pass up, I just buy and figure out what to do with them later.

Got 3 frags yesterday. The blurry out of focus one in front is a Hydnophora. The one behind it looks like a purple acro, and behind it is a duncan. Such a steal for $10 each. Will take some better shots tonight when lights are on.

(morning shot - natural sunlight)

27620280700_7831fa438e_h.jpg

The tank is a hot mess, but I kinda like it.

I think I enjoy the fragging aspect more than owning a display tank. May consider a separate frag tank down the road.

27286234724_c8989828b6_h.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

Boring post. Water testing. White wine.

I think I may need to look into the PH. Seems a bit low for a test @5:45pm.

27664531490_f45f08e883_h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started the ADA today. Woohhooooo!

Might start the transfers later this evening or tomorrow.

I have it sitting on top of the fireplace. It's a pretty big area that's a waste of space so it made sense to set it up here.

27613614393_29b46686ef_h.jpg

Water in, salt in, heater on, pump on.

That damn MP10 is fukckin awesome. OMG it is sooo powerful beyond belief.

27948506830_c745744090_h.jpg

I was on vaca for about a week and half. Came back to a tank that was in great condition. I am almost convinced I have a bullet proof tank :) lol J/K

It was actually a wreck. Before my trip, I did a water change. That went fine, but I totally forgot to plug the ATO and wavemaker back on! Yea it wasn't good. I came home to a tank that was 1/4 short of water. The splashing from the return pump in low water was all over the place as was salt, and the tall monti and acro on the eggcrate were out of the water because of the evap. Brilliant reef keeper here LMAO.

After plugging things back in and cussing to myself for a good hour, I added top off and acropower. Didn't lose anything which is the best news.

27948507860_485d16a22c_h.jpg

I got some of this stuff as well. Added a small pinch to the tank. We'll see what it does.

27613615553_66045acf27_h.jpg

Not sure if I'll get to the transfer today as I'm already on my 3rd gin and tonic, but will try to do some stuff - atleast the crappy stuff like GSP and polyps.

I plan to create a new thread in the members area so keep a look out for my ADA thread. The tank itself on it's own is so gorgeous.

HarryPotter

Thats awesome! Hey it doesn't get hot above the fireplace? Dont want to boil any fish!

Looking forward to the new thread

Thats awesome! Hey it doesn't get hot above the fireplace? Dont want to boil any fish!

Looking forward to the new thread

Hey Harry,

it doesn't get too hot there primarily because it never gets used lol. Will start posting stuff pretty soon if I don't kill everything during the move.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived