Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spec III Lighting Question, First post!

brahma04

Hello all, this is my first reef tank and post! I have been drudging through information for WEEKS gathering up much needed info on nano/pico reefs and I'm up for the challenge. This isn't my first tank, but it is my first SW.

I am having some trouble picking out a LED light for this small tank for a few reasons:

1. This tank needs to have a very sleek look, almost like the light came with the tank.Spec III = 8.7" x 10.8" x 11.8"

2. Would like to meet medium level light requirements.

3. I don't have $200+ dollars to spend on a nano box like I'd love to own!

4. Would really love to have option for daylight and nightlights not just ON/OFF (this is what my freshwater Lighting is lacking when it comes to working with a timer.. :tears: )

Here are two lights in question:

1. The 8 watt Skkye 14k light http://innovative-marine.com/skkye-light/clamp-8.html

Will this light fit properly over the spec III? It looked quite long for the Spec III when i saw it in my LFS. Has anyone tried bending this lights arm to position it? I believe this has two power cords to work with timers of both the blue and white leds, correct me if i'm wrong.

2. NanoTR 7.5watt 12k light http://aquatop.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tr.html#

Will this be enough light? and does it fit over the tanks dimensions properly?

I'm not stuck on either of these lights as they are just two examples. My tank is a week into its cycle, so far so good. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :D

EDIT: So i went with Number 1. I will keep you updated on the growth and overall thoughts on this light/tank combo.

What's your tank? Is it a cube or a rectangle and what is the water volume?

it's a spec III so 2.6 gallons with dimensions of 8.7 x 10.8 x 11.8 inches. Very small.

The 2nd light should be good for most LPS and softies. Wouldn't try sps under any of the lights, if that's what you want might want to save for a nanobox. Also you can get a par 18, 20, 30, or 38 for your tank.

I'd say either a par bulb would be good enough,but I would personally do with a DIY light if it were me. I could be crazy,but I was running a Coral Compulsion on my 8"x8" cube,and I had to take the optics out I believe they were 60* because it wouldn't even touch the corners of the tank at about 6-7" over the waters surface and I couldn't keep sps colored up even 7"-8" below the light.

But with a tank about 12" long,I would maybe do 3 clusters consisting of royal blue,cool blue and warm white and maybe a a hyper violet between each cluster.

Light cost would be:

10"x3.5" heatsink-$20 shipped

*2x SemiLED Hyper Violets- $8

*3x SemiLED Royal Blue- $4.20 or *3x Luxeon Royal Blue- $7.50

*3x Luxeon Cool Blue- $8.25

*3x SemiLED Neutral White- $4.20 or *3x Luxeon Neutral Whites- $7.50

*2x Meanwell LDD Drivers- $12

*1x 75w 24v PSU w/ Power Cord- $19

*1x Typhon Controller- $45

1x Coralux 2up LDD Board-$8.53 Shipped

Everything with a * is from StevesLEDs and is $113 shipped,so about $122 for everything shipped. Not bad for a fully controllable 2 channel light and will have no problem growing softies,lps and maybe some lower light sps like montipora's and maybe birdnest's.

Thanks all to who replied,

But with a tank about 12" long,I would maybe do 3 clusters consisting of royal blue,cool blue and warm white and maybe a a hyper violet between each cluster.

Light cost would be:

10"x3.5" heatsink-$20 shipped

*2x SemiLED Hyper Violets- $8

*3x SemiLED Royal Blue- $4.20 or *3x Luxeon Royal Blue- $7.50

*3x Luxeon Cool Blue- $8.25

*3x SemiLED Neutral White- $4.20 or *3x Luxeon Neutral Whites- $7.50

*2x Meanwell LDD Drivers- $12

*1x 75w 24v PSU w/ Power Cord- $19

*1x Typhon Controller- $45

1x Coralux 2up LDD Board-$8.53 Shipped

Everything with a * is from StevesLEDs and is $113 shipped,so about $122 for everything shipped. Not bad for a fully controllable 2 channel light and will have no problem growing softies,lps and maybe some lower light sps like montipora's and maybe birdnest's.

Reefkid88 how hard is this to complete? I'm pretty handy but I'm not an electrician nor do i want to burn my house down trying to be one! If its something that's almost plug and play, I'd be down to do this.

So I went out and purchased the The 8 watt Skkye 14k light, I don't have anything but my CUC in the tank as of now. I am planning on putting richordia, LPS and shrooms in with a POSSIBLE Fire fish and my cleaner shrimp(Which I'm thinking this was my first/second mistake i have made, is this tank too small for him?)

I am planning on starting a post for this tank and build as i learn from others as well as my own mistakes. Thanks for the help!

Edit: oh and the Skkye 14k fits perfectly on this tank, i just hope its enough light for my needs! (i might add a 3watt solar flare)

Damn halo!! That is what I've essentially been looking for! Does it matter that its geared towards freshwater? The 'reef link' for that light is a regular nanobox mini right?

Hello all, this is my first reef tank and post! I have been drudging through information for WEEKS gathering up much needed info on nano/pico reefs and I'm up for the challenge. This isn't my first tank, but it is my first SW.

I am having some trouble picking out a LED light for this small tank for a few reasons:

1. This tank needs to have a very sleek look, almost like the light came with the tank.

2. Would like to meet medium level light requirements.

3. I don't have $200+ dollars to spend on a nano box like I'd love to own!

4. Would really love to have option for daylight and nightlights not just ON/OFF (this is what my freshwater Lighting is lacking when it comes to working with a timer.. :tears: )

Here are two lights in question:

1. The 8 watt Skkye 14k light http://innovative-marine.com/skkye-light/clamp-8.html

Will this light fit properly over the spec III? It looked quite long for the Spec III when i saw it in my LFS. Has anyone tried bending this lights arm to position it? I believe this has two power cords to work with timers of both the blue and white leds, correct me if i'm wrong.

2. NanoTR 7.5watt 12k light http://aquatop.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tr.html#

Will this be enough light? and does it fit over the tanks dimensions properly?

I'm not stuck on either of these lights as they are just two examples. My tank is a week into its cycle, so far so good. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :D

If you want a NanoBox unit I can make a ECO for you. 199.95. Simple on/off Tide with a 18K color.

-Dave

Archived