Cultivated Reef

Is this too much stone?

rekt

Hey guys I'm new the the saltwater world but I've been doing planted tanks for many years. I just recently purchased a Fluval m40 and I was wondering if 20lbs is too much stone for such a small tank? For those that arnt familiar with the m40. It's a 14 gallon tank but after I put in the sand and aprox 20lbs of stone it only holds 10 gallons of water. I'm also concerned with the top Rock causing lighting issues in the back side of the tank. All comments and advice is appreciated.

post-89644-0-49265800-1446970217_thumb.jpg

post-89644-0-92623900-1446970440_thumb.jpg

Hi. Welcome to NR.

Through experience I have found that it works out better to leave a few inches or more between the rock and the glass on all sides. This gives you room to clean the glass or get your hands in there and also leaves room for the corals to grow.

I also see what you mean about that top rock making lots of shade. Although it looks nice, I vote for a redo. :P

Thanks for the reply. Deep down I know a redo would be best but I was hoping some of you experts would tell me otherwise. I like the way it looks right now but I don't know it it will work with zoas and anemones. Seem like not enough light. I've tried adjusting it but the back side is still dark. Btw I'm using a Aqua illumination fixture. Would raising the fixture higher help?

righttirefire

Hi. Welcome to NR.

Through experience I have found that it works out better to leave a few inches or more between the rock and the glass on all sides. This gives you room to clean the glass or get your hands in there and also leaves room for the corals to grow.

I also see what you mean about that top rock making lots of shade. Although it looks nice, I vote for a redo. :P

I support room around rock for flow and cleaning. I like to leave enough room to siphon the sand bed and clean the glass. As for rock weight, porosity is key. Dense rock weighing 20# not much help. Porous rock 20# will overfill a tank. Whatever you like is key. You look at it

i like the little alcoves of negative space, much life can thrive in them. also if your par is high, the overhangs allow you to place lower light corals front and center but tucked in the shade.

and as far as space to clean... remember you may put corals on the snad bed too, so need space for rock->coral->empty->glass.

with your current structure, you will need a powerhead for better flow pattern.

I like it. I do understand though about leaving space sound the rocks for cleaning. I have to reach me arm in with a razor blade because my rocks are too close. Might as well take care of that before it becomes an issue ?

Yep, tuck in the edges so as to allow for glass scraping... otherwise break the biggest rock into pieces and restart... now's the time to make the scape just as you'd like it.

Archived