Cultivated Reef

Temperature rising at night?

HarryPotter

Why would the temperature of my tank be rising t night?

During the day ambient is 78 and the tank is 78. But at night ambient is 74 and the tank is 80.

My temperature controller uses the fan only at night to cool the tank down.... so what's happening? I might do a full clean out of the pumps for the first time to see if they're contributing to the issue. But why only at night?

No draft across the tank? Do you close anything up around the tank at night that would stop it being able to cool? I notice loads less evaporation in my system when the front room door is shut keeping the room warmer in winter. Still just as warm in summer, but the tank looses 2 litres a day summer time compared to less than one winter time with the door shut to keep the room at the same sort of summer temps.

No draft across the tank? Do you close anything up around the tank at night that would stop it being able to cool? I notice loads less evaporation in my system when the front room door is shut keeping the room warmer in winter. Still just as warm in summer, but the tank looses 2 litres a day summer time compared to less than one winter time with the door shut to keep the room at the same sort of summer temps.

No, the tank has a mesh top and is never "Closed". Room fan remains on 24/7, so I have no idea!

I bet your AC runs less often at night than during the day.

If you had a humidistat in the room I would venture that while the ambient temperature is lower, the humidity is higher. Higher humidity = less evaporation = less cooling.

I bet your AC runs less often at night than during the day.

If you had a humidistat in the room I would venture that while the ambient temperature is lower, the humidity is higher. Higher humidity = less evaporation = less cooling.

Thats a great idea...

I just ordered this. It records daily high and low humidity, daily high and low temperature, etc. All for $10... Not bad! :o

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446910628&sr=8-1&keywords=humidistat

Archived