SaltCritters.com

Caught peppermint shrimp eating an acan

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

Yes, the polyp may have been sick or dead. And of course all kinds of shrimp are sold as "peppermint shrimp." No one knows. I tend to give shrimps and crabs the benefit of the doubt. But this little guy has won a free one-way trip into the refugium. Ironically, my emerald crab, which I have been following around like a store detective, has been a model citizen. Cleans all day, and the only time it touches a coral is when it sits in them.

Partially Submerged

Yup. I love them for their aiptasia eating ability, but given that aiptasia belong to the same class as corals and anemones, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

I always had to make sure I fed mine, usually some pellets. Mine stripped one of my favorite green birdsnests. Threw him into a pot of gumbo.

I've used them to eat some aiptasia that I can't get to, but as soon as the aiptasia is gone, so are the peppermints. Yeah, if they're not well fed, then everything is fair game to them.

Partially Submerged

Well, they seem very happy in the refugium. They are grazing on the filter sponge, and they are welcome to do that for as long as they live. Should I ever have aiptasia again, I will grant them a quick vacation in the tank.

reefernanoman

Peppermint shrimp have eaten all kinds of corals on me. And yes, they were "peppermint shrimp". Those little bastards will never be inside my tanks.

I always had to make sure I fed mine, usually some pellets. Mine stripped one of my favorite green birdsnests. Threw him into a pot of gumbo.

Even if you feed them directly, they can go crazy all of a sudden.

Archived