SaltCritters.com

Firefish

NanoReefer27

Hey guys, new to the saltwater aquarium hobby and also this forum. Had a question about Firefish and I guess just fish in general. Just purchased a Firefish 3 days ago and he is doing pretty well, except he will not eat the pellets. He comes out when I feed and he will eat one and then spit it out. I do not think it is pellet size since my pellets are quite small. Anyway I was wondering, if I keep feeding pellets and he gets hungry enough, won't he just eat it after a while ot will he actually just not eat it even if he is hungry? Would be a pain to have to mix up 2 different foods for my Clownfish and my one Firefish. Thanks!

I have a bunch of different foods both frozen and flake. Haven't really tried pellets. I have a firefish too. The favorite flakes have been these brine shrimp flakes and tetra marine flakes come next. Frozen makes them swim around like they are going 90 mph. I feed mysis and brine. I thaw the cubes in a little bit of tank water, thaw and feed. I have more fish food in my freezer than people food. I have some unopened that I haven't even tried yet. I loved cyclop eze but can't find it anymore. I got a substitute but they are just too small just like baby brine shrimp, too small. I just use variety, the spice of life.

Is the clown fish snatching up all the food before he even gets to it? If he's a new comer, I've seen them eat and then spit back out for like a week before actually eating. I'd say get different kinds of food on hand and cycle through them. He'll start eating at one point and it's good to provide different kind of food for their health too.

Pick up some frozen food if you can. Mine won't eat flakes or pellets since the flakes float on top and the pellets sink. Mine only seem to go for food floating in the water column. They DEVOUR LRS reef frenzy along with all of my other fish.

I have tried a few things, he will not even give the topwater a look so I try to make the pellets sink cause that's the only way he has ever even put one in his mouth. I guess I will try frozen then for now and then try a transition to pellets or flakes

I have tried a few things, he will not even give the topwater a look so I try to make the pellets sink cause that's the only way he has ever even put one in his mouth. I guess I will try frozen then for now and then try a transition to pellets or flakes

Sounds like yours behave similar to mine. The frozen floats around all over in the middle of the water column. Let us know if they go for that!

The fish probably isn't used to the pellets. It smells good so he tastes it but isn't quite sure what it is. Most wild caught fish will act like this. I feed them mysis or brine shrimp to start and slowly mix in pellets or flakes until they start eating the flakes and pellets

I used to use pellets and flake food awhile back but never again. I only feed my tank frozen brine shrimp for a year now and they go crazy for them, once in awhile I get the live ones and it's a feeding frenzy! Just make sure with the frozen stuff you let it thaw and then rinse it, you don't want that nasty cube water in your tank.

Archived