Pod Your Reef

What the HELL is going on....

Dreichler

So I've had this Crocea for a solid 3 months now, and all the sudden it has like a "tear" or a "gap" in the mantle... I dose my tank 4 times a week the Phyto and the clam eats it up... I don't know how long its had this gap or tear whatever it is, if its even anything to worry about, but i just noticed it while feeding my tank... I have a Picasso pair, a yellow tang, and a blue hippo tang...

post-88706-0-52385100-1446667456_thumb.jpg

post-88706-0-00966500-1446667475_thumb.jpg

post-88706-0-29024500-1446667485_thumb.jpg

So I've had this Crocea for a solid 3 months now, and all the sudden it has like a "tear" or a "gap" in the mantle... I dose my tank 4 times a week the Phyto and the clam eats it up... I don't know how long its had this gap or tear whatever it is, if its even anything to worry about, but i just noticed it while feeding my tank... I have a Picasso pair, a yellow tang, and a blue hippo tang...

what do you mean the clam eats the phyto up? are you dosing right against it? also not to be nit picky but a hippo tang in anything less than 100 gallons is asking for trouble. can you give us more info about the tank as well

Looks like pinched mantle. Read up and take action quickly. First step is an extended freshwater dip (read first link).

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/303365-pinched-mantle-disease/

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pinched-mantle-disease-id-and-treatment-options.98140/

If you have an African cichlid tank use water from that - or you can run to your LFS and grab some water from one of their cichlid tanks IME it has a higher pH so it's less of a shock to marine fish/inverts. You can buffer up but taking water from the cichlid tanks is quicker.

Not pinched mantle.

I would suspect one of the tangs took a bite. Very odd spot for that though...

Also, phyto is likely doing nothing for the clam. If you want a great reference on why pickup James Fatheree's book ;)

Not pinched mantle.

Also, phyto is likely doing nothing for the clam. If you want a great reference on why pickup James Fatheree's book ;)

Yeah you're probably right - everything looks different at 1:30am... I was wiring up a new DIY ATO :)

It was the underside shot that really had me worried...

Looking at it now the mantle does seem to be extended normal just missing a chunk. Still - I would watch it very closely for a while. Did you add anything new recently? Also still read up on the links for pinched mantle and other clam afflictions.

what do you mean the clam eats the phyto up? are you dosing right against it? also not to be nit picky but a hippo tang in anything less than 100 gallons is asking for trouble. can you give us more info about the tank as well

Not pinched mantle.

Yeah you're probably right - everything looks different at 1:30am... I was wiring up a new DIY ATO :)

It was the underside shot that really had me worried...

Looking at it now the mantle does seem to be extended normal just missing a chunk. Still - I would watch it very closely for a while. Did you add anything new recently? Also still read up on the links for pinched mantle and other clam afflictions.

Nothing new added to the tank, i don't directly feed the clam the phyto, i will squirt maybe 0.5 mL about 7 inches above it, and by the time it reaches the clam, its just almost gone, looks like RO by the time it reaches the clam, I know that having a blue hippo in a 45 is too small, but i don't plan on having him for more than the next 8 months or so, he's about an inch right now, when i go to college in the summer I'm going to break down the tank.... quick question so i don't have to start a new post, for my JBJ 45, is it worth getting a wavemaker? If so, which one, and wouldn't it decrease the amount of flow since they aren't both running constantly at the same time...

for my JBJ 45, is it worth getting a wavemaker? If so, which one, and wouldn't it decrease the amount of flow since they aren't both running constantly at the same time...

No, don't get a wave maker. It will cut your flow/filteration in half.

A powerhead is a better choice- a MP10 ($$$) or Jebao RW4 ($$)

i tried a powerhead and i can never seem to place them in the right place... I'm pretty sure you have the JBJ 45 right? If so, can you post a pic of how you have your pumps angled and where your powerhead is? Have you upgraded anything from stock?

i tried a powerhead and i can never seem to place them in the right place... I'm pretty sure you have the JBJ 45 right? If so, can you post a pic of how you have your pumps angled and where your powerhead is? Have you upgraded anything from stock?

Yes, I have a RL-45 with lots of SPS and such. Both of my return pumps are upgraded to Cobalt 1200's, and I have a MP40 in there for flow.

The MP40 is a bit overkill; I don't use it above 40%. A MP10 would be sufficient

i was under the impression that both of those are wave makers, either way my rw4 works great and save on money,

Nothing new added to the tank, i don't directly feed the clam the phyto, i will squirt maybe 0.5 mL about 7 inches above it, and by the time it reaches the clam, its just almost gone, looks like RO by the time it reaches the clam, I know that having a blue hippo in a 45 is too small, but i don't plan on having him for more than the next 8 months or so, he's about an inch right now, when i go to college in the summer I'm going to break down the tank.... quick question so i don't have to start a new post, for my JBJ 45, is it worth getting a wavemaker? If so, which one, and wouldn't it decrease the amount of flow since they aren't both running constantly at the same time...

ive had some bad experiences with adding phyto, it nearly killed my war coral several times. what brand do you use?

i was under the impression that both of those are wave makers, either way my rw4 works great and save on money,

ive had some bad experiences with adding phyto, it nearly killed my war coral several times. what brand do you use?

i use phyto feast by reef nutrition, was told thats the phyto with the best proven results

Update? How's the clam doing? Were you able to find out if something was picking at it?

no, still the same, the gap hasn't changed size, and haven't ever seen anything pick at it, maybe its just a natural flaw...

• 6 months later...
mystersyster

They are.

IronChefItaly

Looks like a tear in the mantle to me - most definitely not pinched mantle. I would focus less on feeding it and more on providing the basic water parameters and system stability. Is it possible any hermit crabs are giving it a tough time? When the clam recedes try and look at the tips of the shell for new growth. If the clam is under stress it will be growing slowly therefore algae will have enough time to settle in, otherwise a healthy clam will always have a flawless white rim. Double thermometers, an auto top off, frequent water changes and a means of maintaining calcium and alkalinity is a good start to stability.

Archived