inTank Media Baskets

Need some flow reccomendations for my custom 80g

nickyz

I just put in an order for a custom build 80g tank dimensions 48"x16"x24"L I currently have a mp10 but I know it isnt going to fit on my tank due to the 1/2" glass thickness. I was debating wether I should purchase a Gyre-XL or if I should go with a mp40wqd and supplement with a few koralias or something similar? Anyone have experience and would care to shed some light on their insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Nick

Not sure of what you are looking to spend but I am presently surprised with the power of the Jebao WP series. Amazon sells the WP-25 for $45 each. Two of those would be more than enough flow. Worth a look.

I use two gyres, operated with the apex to mix up flow. I love these pumps, great circulation and coral movement without that direct blasting from overpowered PH/wavemakers with a more direct flow. keeps my detritus more elevated to get into the overflow. I sold my ecotech pumps and haven't regretted it, not to say ecotech makes a bad product.

If your going Jebao, go with the new RW range. They push water more like a Vortec for a fraction of the price. I would be tempted to over size and run them at less power on the controller.

I had 2 RW-4's in my 75g 3X2X2, but it's peninsula and with the pumps both on the back wall they just didn't have the clout, opposite ends I'm sure they would have been sufficient. I've upgraded to a RW-15. I'm running it at 1/2 on the controller so should be pushing around the same as my RW-4's did on full, but the way it moves water is amazing. It's about 3 inches off the waters surface and it lifts sand particles into the water column below it some 18 inches down. I'm sort of running it like a gyre, it's high but not central pointing slightly down across my scape through a gap between the high points. It has cleared all the dead spots I had with the 2 RW-4's and I had been running a no name 5000lph pump where the RW-15 is now to supplement the 4's and even at half power on the 15 is more flow than all 3 pumps prior.

Archived