Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Let me see your brains!

billdeluz

I have a super old picture of my first ever brain coral, but its such a bad picture I am embarrassed to share it! It was such a beautiful coral, one of my favorites. Had an appetite like no other but it ate soooo slow. I always turned the pumps back on before it was finished :rolleyes:

I have a super old picture of my first ever brain coral, but its such a bad picture I am embarrassed to share it! It was such a beautiful coral, one of my favorites. Had an appetite like no other but it ate soooo slow. I always turned the pumps back on before it was finished :rolleyes:

let's see don't be shy

Well, don't say I didn't warn ya, haha. Picture quality is awful, but I am sure you guys can already tell the true color (really bright red, and fluorescent green)

20131130_151607_zps2a801fe5.jpg

sweet i guess we are the only ones with brains lol

Well, don't say I didn't warn ya, haha. Picture quality is awful, but I am sure you guys can already tell the true color (really bright red, and fluorescent green)

20131130_151607_zps2a801fe5.jpg

You can just sit them on the sand? Are they nice, easy? Photo or no or do you feed them.

Sand is a great place for them. Some people tell me the edges on rocks can rip their flesh, however I see some people here with their brains in the rocks.

The brain I posted was my first brain I got years ago. I personally had to move it around a bit to find a good spot. Flow and lighting were too strong for it so I had to place it all the way at one corner of the tank under my mp10.

At night the feeders go out and you can feed it. Mine took way to long to though and I eventually stopped offering food.

I love all of them and yours inspired me to post

Thanks! I wasn't sure what you meant and just wanted to clarify as it can look totally different depending on the conditions. I think that is the main reason that I love it so much. Depending on lighting it can look very different, whether it is hungry and has feeders out, sometimes it completely inflates into a big dome, etc. it has quite the "personality".

Edit: Here is one more pic of when it was totally inflated one morning:

17970146330_14636a75cb_b.jpg20150525_091934 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

That's so cool. I love to learn about and see all the different corals. I'm very new at corals and basically know nothing. I have studied the sun corals and ricordias and that's about it lol. My husband was calling my Suns a plant until he saw how they reacted to everything. I didn't realize just how animated they could be. I feel like they have feelings even though they don't have a brain lol. No pun intended ?

cchsoracle, that thing is a beauty. It is hard to come across pieces like that at my lfs. They usually only have one brain at a time every couple of weeks. Doesn't help that they aren't priced to sell in my opinion. My lfs is pretty pricy, yet its the only reliable one around me that I know of.

I thought technically welsos don't exist lol

I do recall now hearing something about the scientific term Wellsophyllia not being used anymore in the biology realm, but it is still used quite a bit in the aquarium hobby. If you want to be completely technical, it is actually a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

cchsoracle, that thing is a beauty. It is hard to come across pieces like that at my lfs. They usually only have one brain at a time every couple of weeks. Doesn't help that they aren't priced to sell in my opinion. My lfs is pretty pricy, yet its the only reliable one around me that I know of.

Thanks! They are pretty common here in FL. I pair 75 for this one, which is probably a steal. It is not a rainbow, but the striations through the colors is quite different than any other one that I have seen.

I do recall now hearing something about the scientific term Wellsophyllia not being used anymore in the biology realm, but it is still used quite a bit in the aquarium hobby. If you want to be completely technical, it is actually a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

Thanks! They are pretty common here in FL. I pair 75 for this one, which is probably a steal. It is not a rainbow, but the striations through the colors is quite different than any other one that I have seen.

Id pay 75 for that all day. Doesn't have to be a rainbow, I love the color combo!

I paid more than that for my five inch brain coral.. It was a great piece though. I had a "dumb dumb" of a hermit crab that used to think the brain was his bed. Didn't take long for him to be exiled to the sump hehe.

Marc.The.Shark

Here's mine, nothing fancy, but sure looks good under blues in the evening. Been with me about a year, $25 pickup along with the green/yellow plate next to it. Got'em both for $50, thought that was a deal @ LFS!

image.jpg3_3.jpg

Here's mine, nothing fancy, but sure looks good under blues in the evening. Been with me about a year, $25 pickup along with the green/yellow plate next to it. Got'em both for $50, thought that was a deal @ LFS!image.jpg3_3.jpg

Are those blastos to the left?

Like them Zs.

Nice shot!

Marc.The.Shark

Are those blastos to the left?

Like them Zs.

Nice shot!

Yeah, Blasto's from Cherry Corals, they're about 15min away! Thank's Jack, I know how hard it is to get a compliment out of you, Stella (Rachel) told me! Lol. More recent pics of the tank on my Nano-Tube thread in my sig, take a look.

Yeah, Blasto's from Cherry Corals, they're about 15min away! Thank's Jack, I know how hard it is to get a compliment out of you, Stella (Rachel) told me! Lol. More recent pics of the tank on my Nano-Tube thread in my sig, take a look.

LOL....as soon as she posts some decent pics, I'll throw her a complement.

; ^ )

Here's mine, nothing fancy, but sure looks good under blues in the evening. Been with me about a year, $25 pickup along with the green/yellow plate next to it. Got'em both for $50, thought that was a deal @ LFS!image.jpg3_3.jpg

love those blastos

Archived