Cultivated Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

Hi guys, a minor update. I went away on holidays for about 1 month and came home to the tank glass looking really dirty but all else is fine. I lost some zoas due a bacterial infection but otherwise everything is fine. After seeing how it went I started to let my tank go for about 2 weeks without a water change just to see if it could handle it and so far so good. I'll do a general cleanup of the glass and rocks soon and it should be back to normal. The tank has seen better days, but for a 1 month holiday and / weeks of neglect, it's still looking pretty good.

Re: starting immediately- I kept balance with regular water changes and dosed zeobak and stability.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, a minor update. I went away on holidays for about 1 month and came home to the tank glass looking really dirty but all else is fine. I lost some zoas due a bacterial infection but otherwise everything is fine. After seeing how it went I started to let my tank go for about 2 weeks without a water change just to see if it could handle it and so far so good. I'll do a general cleanup of the glass and rocks soon and it should be back to normal. The tank has seen better days, but for a 1 month holiday and / weeks of neglect, it's still looking pretty good.

Re: starting immediately- I kept balance with regular water changes and dosed zeobak and stability.

Hard to vacation when you know whats back at home lol. You ever considered setting up a nest camera or something to monitor the tank while your away?

• 2 months later...
Mikeymikemike

The tank has had a few weeks of neglect from more holidays. I leave every two months for about two weeks and have a 6 week holiday at the end of the year leaving the system to just water changes. Some of my zoas have been hit by a bacterial infection while others have grown out very strongly. I added a new poci colony with some crabs and green monti and things are looking better.

Stay tuned as i'm going to upgrade the system with a MAME overflow and some other goodies.

13116192_10154680776900110_2431556898928

• Like 5
Mikeymikemike

Believe me, when I came home the glass was pretty much a solid pane of algae and I spend about 1 hour cleaning every glass surface.

Mikeymikemike

The goods are coming in the mail! I'm very excited and its going to be a mission to plan it all.

Coral Box D500 skimmer

Maxspect r420r 180w light

Jebao 4 head dosing pump

Reactors

MAME overflow

I'm thinking about adding a mp10qd but they are so expensive. Right now I have a Jebao rw4 that works quite well.

Now it's time to plan a sump for this guy as the canister filter days are numbered.

-----------

One thing i should add is that the canister filter has been very good at its job. the water is always crystal clear and it does a great job of mechanical filtration. cleaning it once every few days has not been a problem as most of us spend hours around the tank daily and any excuse to do something. Levels are undetectable still for test kits and hanna checker shows 0.0013 or ULR phos. So a good water change regime is recommended still.

The tank has had a few weeks of neglect from more holidays. I leave every two months for about two weeks and have a 6 week holiday at the end of the year leaving the system to just water changes. Some of my zoas have been hit by a bacterial infection while others have grown out very strongly. I added a new poci colony with some crabs and green monti and things are looking better.

Stay tuned as i'm going to upgrade the system with a MAME overflow and some other goodies.

13116192_10154680776900110_2431556898928

As your tank has matured, it is as good as I had imagined when you first set it up. Sometimes the anticipation is better than the final product but not in your tank's case. Great job!
  • Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Thanks, this is not without a few glitches along the way, I had my 6 line wrasse jump out :( and struggled with a strange bacterial infection that wiped out a few dozen polyps of zoas. No idea to this day what it was.

There is still along way to go with this tank and I imagine it to be yet another learning curve when i upgrade the system.

• 3 weeks later...
Mikeymikemike

Update time!

So I've had some time to get the reef back in shape after the holiday and now it's time for an upgrade

I recently purchased a MAME overflow, maxspect r420r lights, coral box d500 skimmer, vectra m1 pump, jebao dc4000, jebao dc2000 and some other goodies that will make a sump for this guy and the new 120P tank.

my corals are loving the new light and as you can see, compared tot he previous lights I had, I can now mount them about 40cm above the tank. The older lights had a more even spread but the maxspect has more punch for different corals. I now run them at W30% and B70% max for now.

I'll upload a video soon.

13267976_10154728283135110_729343578244513221520_10154728283595110_2603306734485

• Like 2
rickztahone

that is insane growth! Really love this tank and is a great inspiration for my build. I love the euphellyia swaying in the flow. TFS

Mikeymikemike

I'm pretty happy with the way the tank turned out. of all the toys and tanks in my house, this one draws the most eyes when guests come over and it really gets people thinking about reefs and the complexity of the ecosystem we have at our shores

Great choice on the tank as well as the overflow and skimmer!

Any reasonw hy you didn't go with the ADA tank that already has the overflow box and drilled on the bottom?

Mikeymikemike

Great choice on the tank as well as the overflow and skimmer!

Any reasonw hy you didn't go with the ADA tank that already has the overflow box and drilled on the bottom?

That's because I'm not sure if the 120 should be a planted tank or not. I was thinking of doing another scape for next years IAPLC. I am hoping to keep Australia in the winning works again.

The mame will be used for the kitchen tank to give it a sump.