Coral Vue Hydros

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

Wow this tank is really amazing. I am honestly going to go home and re do my scape after seeing this!

Thank you, I am glad this Tank has inspired you to re-think your own scape :)

Where did you get those zoas from? I love all of them and I want to base my tank around zoas.

And what's all in your tank?

And possibly the name of that blue torch. That is my new Screensaver on my phone

Mikeymikemike

Where did you get those zoas from? I love all of them and I want to base my tank around zoas.

And what's all in your tank?

And possibly the name of that blue torch. That is my new Screensaver on my phone

I'm in Australia and we have access to some pretty cool things, but so do you in the states ;) No ideas on ID, all the torches are locally collected ones

Thank you for all the positive comments.

The nemo lights are considered medium level lighting at around 55cm from the substrate. I have mounted them about 40cm from the substrate so they give off a little bit more par.

For zoas and LPS they work well.

Pros: cheap, thin, programmable, I have set mine to 10 hours daylight and 14 hours moonlight. I modded mine to add a strip of UV.

Cons: Not the most powerful light for it's size, mounting brackets are kind of ugly, so I hung mine from the ceiling to make it look like it is floating.

11220793_10154278217370110_7006538084938

Planted tanks require just as much maintenance. But they are both equally rewarding. my ADA show tank takes about 1 hour to maintain a week now. just water changes and a trim once a month.

Nice! Can you show the mod that you did to the lights? Thx

Wow, This is so fantasticly beautiful! im cycling a tank almost like this, with lilypipes, maxspect razor and vortech mp10. Its stunning to see that your corals thrive in such early stage after cycling :) .

• Like 1

I'm in Australia and we have access to some pretty cool things, but so do you in the states ;) No ideas on ID, all the torches are locally collected ones

Sadly I'm in the us so I don't have access to an amazing coral selection like you do. So you bought all your zoas from a local company that got them from the reefs?
Mikeymikemike

Wow, This is so fantasticly beautiful! im cycling a tank almost like this, with lilypipes, maxspect razor and vortech mp10. Its stunning to see that your corals thrive in such early stage after cycling :) .

I used a based rock and substrate with no organic matter. That way there is no nutrient die-off and water parameters are really stable to begin with. I also did a bi-weekly water change to remove any nutrients and dosed zeo-bak and stability daily to build up bacteria for the cycle.

I did this knowing I have access to unlimited water if any parameters look off. testing was done bi-weekly

I do not recommend this way of starting a tank for anyone who is not sure about the method or not using a base rock.

Sadly I'm in the us so I don't have access to an amazing coral selection like you do. So you bought all your zoas from a local company that got them from the reefs?

I got them from a local frag collector who aquaculutre raises zoas and other corals as well as anemones and clown fish. This tank is made to be an environmentally friendly reef :)

live stock comes from sustainable sources. Australia has some beautiful reefs that need to be preserved.

This is the way of the future for reefing. aquaculture corals are hardier too!

• Like 3

I used a based rock and substrate with no organic matter. That way there is no nutrient die-off and water parameters are really stable to begin with. I also did a bi-weekly water change to remove any nutrients and dosed zeo-bak and stability daily to build up bacteria for the cycle.

I did this knowing I have access to unlimited water if any parameters look off. testing was done bi-weekly

I do not recommend this way of starting a tank for anyone who is not sure about the method or not using a base rock.

I got them from a local frag collector who aquaculutre raises zoas and other corals as well as anemones and clown fish. This tank is made to be an environmentally friendly reef :)

live stock comes from sustainable sources. Australia has some beautiful reefs that need to be preserved.

This is the way of the future for reefing. aquaculture corals are hardier too!

I think it's ok to go into the coral reefs and take a small amount a year. Tiny frags of stuff that won't majorly affect the reef if done right. I agree it's good to buy from aquaculture when you can but some things just can't be like what you get from the ocean.

I'm literally like blown away by this tank. Everything that you've done with it from the scape to the coral placement just amazing. Like I said this is probably my most favorite tank on this site

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Thanks JLB

I enjoy this tank very much and it has been a joy to learn about corals and their behaviour. If this tank is still running in a year, then I will be very happy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stave off green algae? I have not come across any fuzz yet, even diatoms are very limited, but I do see some green spots occur on the glass. In the planted tank scene, you can treat this with increased plants and phsphate and lower light levels. In the marine setting, I am trying to reduce nutrients and light levels.