Pod Your Reef

VIDEO: Which ATO is right for you?

Marine Depot

VIDEO: Which ATO is right for you?

In today's video, we explain how the hobby's most popular ATO systems work, from the most basic to the most advanced, to help you determine which system will best fit your tank and budget.

Already run a ATO? Please reply with the make/model and how you like it to help out other hobbyists!

Auto-Top-Off-Systems-Which-ATO-Is-Right-
Obsessed Reefer

I'm a huge fan of the Hydor Smart Level ATO. No switches to break, easily movable with the magnetic back, and super simple to setup. Has a failsafe built in to shut off after a certain amount of time it's been 'filling', if the water level never increases. I forget exactly how long, but happened to me once where the tubbing fell out of the tank, and it started pumping RO water on my floor, only spilled maybe half a gallon before it shut off.

I'm a huge fan of the Hydor Smart Level ATO. No switches to break, easily movable with the magnetic back, and super simple to setup. Has a failsafe built in to shut off after a certain amount of time it's been 'filling', if the water level never increases. I forget exactly how long, but happened to me once where the tubbing fell out of the tank, and it started pumping RO water on my floor, only spilled maybe half a gallon before it shut off.

Thank you for sharing your experience! This is precisely the sort of commentary we were hoping for. Nothing beats real-world testimonials.

phillyclownfish

How long have you had it up and running? Pros/cons?

I have the Tunze Osmolator 3155 and I would say it's the best thing I've ever purchased for my tank (38 gallon NUVO). I can't really think of any cons. In the bottom left compartment of my stand I have an ESHOPPS 5 gallon ATO Reservoir Tank.

I have had it for four months and the main pro is that when your away or on holiday you do not have to worry about your sump pump running dry!

I did not know of the reservoir tank. Feel free to send my way and I will gladly write a review along with some reef caviar. I have an order from you guys that should be here Friday with my Kessil controller.

Love 3155 Tunze Osmulator. I could never trust the nano.... the redundancy of the full version is a must in my opinion.

Great features include that it auto shuts off (will not burn up the pump!), has a strong pump, has the water high/emergency overfill switch and alarm, etc.

Definitely a must when I'm evaporating 5g a week!

...has the water high/emergency overfill switch and alarm, etc.

I like the overfill alarm more than I dislike it, although it is slightly annoying that it goes off every time my arm is in the tank! At least I know it's working. :)

I did not know of the reservoir tank. Feel free to send my way and I will gladly write a review along with some reef caviar. I have an order from you guys that should be here Friday with my Kessil controller.

Thanks for shopping with us! Kessil is my favorite LED manufacturer (although I don't own one... yet). The metal halide-like shimmer plus the results they yield make them a very attractive choice.

We only sell the 2.5 gallon reservoir. I assume there wasn't room margin-wise to turn a profit on the larger sizes, otherwise we would carry them, too. I have a 38 gallon tank and think 2.5 gallons would be too small. Part of the reason for using an ATO, other than stability, is the convenience of not having to top off the tank every day. If your reservoir has to be topped off every other day or so, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Archived