IMG_0673_zpsadhabldc.jpg

Current equipment:

SunSpect Chinese BlackBox 165w

SCA 301 skimmer

Metal shelving stand (skinned)

20L sump

Eheim Compact 2000 return

2 800 gph powerheads

Hey guys, I wanted to document my slow budget 40b build. Its been 5yrs or so since my last tank and I have a bunch of old equipment I planned to use. I got a 40b at the $1 a gallon sale and figured I would do a FOWLR with my old AC110 and hang on skimmer. I also started a 3g picotype.

After researching I was considering on running a sump but I had all the equipment to get it running sumpless now. I made a thread asking people thoughts and I have decided to take my time and purchase things slowly as I go. I know the sale is ending soon so I need to drill this thing before the sale is over. Just in case I crack it.

I have never had a sump or drilled a tank

Just ordered bulk heads and locline and they're in the mail

I purchased a metal shelving to use as a stand and I've started to skin it

So to skin the stand I decided to use magnet and cheap thin wood. I would have like to build a stand but I don't really have much equipment for wood besides a skilsaw or jigsaw. I had Lowes cut the wood.

post-25721-0-82993000-1446492581_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-31080800-1446492891_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-86050300-1446492898_thumb.jpg

post-25721-0-93508900-1446492907_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I drilled my tank! I'm not gonna lie I was scared but it all worked out. I drilled 2 for 1" drains and 1 return for 3/4. I used some scrap for a guide and it worked out. Sorry Lots of pictures!

IMG_0370_zps4sgq2ta0.jpg

I cut some cardboard as I plan my overflow box. but I'm going to adjust it since I made them before I drilled the holes.

IMG_0363_zps7jtvt015.jpg

IMG_0365_zpswkcsqg1n.jpg

I am also deciding if I want to run bare bottom and paint the bottom like I did with my 3 gallon.

P9190017_zpsrtn1ysgf.jpg

P9230028_zpsrdhc9mnb.jpg

Also what return pumps? I'm trying to keep cost down. I at looking at an Eheim Compact+ 2000. I also thought about a Quiet One 3000. It's so much cheaper but reviews are old but not so great. I read so much about how much flow should be running through the sump but I am thinking a lower flow for the fuge and supplement with pumps in the DT. Any thoughts?

Nice.

I wouldn't cut corners on the return pump. You can lose lights, heat etc for a few hours but once the water stops moving....

Bear in mind that a huge amount of gas exchange goes on when the water glugs through those pipes.

Nice.

I wouldn't cut corners on the return pump. You can lose lights, heat etc for a few hours but once the water stops moving....

Bear in mind that a huge amount of gas exchange goes on when the water glugs through those pipes.

Yeah you're right scratch the QO pump. I think the eheim 2000 should be enough but I see so many people running mag 7's with so much more flow.

I run a rio 2100 as a ruturn pump. About 400 gph considering head loss. Super reliable pump and it wont break the bank. If you want more gph get a 2500. I have 1 inch plumbing as well.

Ok well I'll do some more research on return pumps.

Today's update: I painted the stand and the back of the tank. I may add more to the stand to give it some pizazz. (not sure how to spell that). It's pizzazz Siri and google told me so.

Next on the list is to either make an overflow box and baffles for the sump. For the overflow i have to decide if I make one or purchase one. If I make one I need to decide if I use glass or acrylic.

IMG_0386_zpslkis28ja.jpg

So I've read a couple issues where a floating overflow box came off since the acrylic doesn't really bond with the glass. I'm leaning towards a glass overflow now. Anyone have an opinion on that? I was almost just going to purchase one off eBay.

• Like 1

Great idea with the stand and skinning it! is that the metal stand from lowe's that fits the 40b perfectly?

Thanks! yes it's storage shelving with the exact demensions of the 40b. After skinning it I think I could have made a stand with my little skill and few tools. I'm thinking about making a canopy as well.

Marc.The.Shark

Take a look at the Jebao DCT return pumps, super quiet & adjustable in 10 steps. They have soft start & a feeding mode & also very reasonable. I bought the 6000 for my new build & love it. Depending on the flow you're looking for a 3000 might work. My DCT6000 was < $100. I also run a Tunze 1073.020 on my current tank & the Jebao is just as quiet.

Take a look at the Jebao DCT return pumps, super quiet & adjustable in 10 steps. They have soft start & a feeding mode & also very reasonable. I bought the 6000 for my new build & love it. Depending on the flow you're looking for a 3000 might work. My DCT6000 was < $100. I also run a Tunze 1073.020 on my current tank & the Jebao is just as quiet.

Hey Marc! You're one of the reasons why this tank isn't up yet! It's because of your post in my sump vs sumpless thread.

Anyways I was originally thinking about a jebao dct4000. The price is right but I've seen some reviews where the pump failed after a while and it made me want to consider a pump with a longer track record. I don't think I saw many bad reviews for eheims. It's good to see a positive one!

• Like 1
ShadowRancher

Gotta love that Edsal racks just happen to hold a 40B perfectly! I have a couple FW 40's on the version without the holes so I can stack them, I love the minimalist look

Gotta love that Edsal racks just happen to hold a 40B perfectly! I have a couple FW 40's on the version without the holes so I can stack them, I love the minimalist look

I know! It's like they were made for each other! I thought about a 40b sump as well but I figured I might want to store some stuff under there.

Marc.The.Shark

Hey Marc! You're one of the reasons why this tank isn't up yet! It's because of your post in my sump vs sumpless thread.

Anyways I was originally thinking about a jebao dct4000. The price is right but I've seen some reviews where the pump failed after a while and it made me want to consider a pump with a longer track record. I don't think I saw many bad reviews for eheims. It's good to see a positive one!

Hahaha, sorry!! You'll be happier with the sump tho! Can't speak on longevity, but the new DCT series seemed to get better reviews than the older DC model, so we'll see. I just like the adjustability factor. With My current Tunze, I have a ball vavle to regulate flow, but after about 6 months those things get cruddy & now i can barely get it closed! Plus I needed pretty high output & the Jeabo's are quite reasonable for what you get. Hopefully I'll get 3 or 4 years out of it. I don't expect it to be a 10yr pump like the Eheim.

My current build is dragging on & on too, but I was determined to fix all the things I don't necessarily like about my current setup, so making changes as I go. Plus I'm huge into doing it myself like you. I had a lot of DIY stuff going on, actually still do, but getting close. Looks like I'm gonna have a 6 month build on my hands if I can get it set up by Christmas! Lol. Like how you made the stand too, way to think outside the box!

Marc do you have a build thread? What do you have going on? 6 months and ready by Christmas? I want water in this thing by Thanksgiving! We just moved in this year and the Mrs. wants to host! Works out too because by then, I'll be ready for Xmas corals lol.

So this weekend I will be working on the overflow and the baffles for the sump. I just need to find decent prices on the glass. Then just need to decide on a pump and start plumbing.

Started on my overflow. After calling about 3-4 local glass shops I finally found a reasonable price. I was planning to spray paint the inside black but I've recently read about issues where the paint sometimes flakes off. I also decided to sand the labels off my pvc elbows. Figured the paint would stick better as well. Just need to clean up the silicone a bit.

PB090056_zpsjqhv2mgk.jpg

PB090057_zpsyzeb9y6v.jpg

PB100061_zps5cxtwake.jpg

PB080055_zpsdf6nxc9o.jpg

I'm interested to see how the glass overflow goes. Will it have any teeth?

No teeth, I think it'll skim the surface better that way. I may add some gutter guard or something similar to keep fish out but that's it. I'm still not sure if the paint will flake.

Update:

I finished my overflow box and got it in the tank. I know its not the prettiest. I had very little experience with silicone and never really worked with glass.

PB140080_zpscrwtktf0.jpg

PB150086_zpsyvaix8bm.jpg

PB150087_zpssmaitatr.jpg

I didn't want to buy any outlets for my loc-line and decided I would try to DIY something for it. If it doesn't work then it's fine I have plenty of localize sitting around.

PB140084_zpsjtzgbc9x.jpg

PB140081_zpsk4wxwtgx.jpg

Also finished my sump. the first two baffles are 9.5" and 8" for the last two.I was considering making a built in rack for media but I found a DIY reactor I am going to try out instead.

PB100062_zpsowxwrfg7.jpg

Holds water!

PB120064_zpsxv4qebrp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated this but there is now water in the tank lol. I've been so busy with the holidays and work. I finished the plumbing and have it set up. Hopefully tonight I can get the sand and rock in there and start her up. We're also planning to get our Christmas tree today too so we will see.

PB290159_zpsmp24oltg.jpg

and the tank now as she sits..

PC020162_zpsvyfa6uch.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_0673_zpsadhabldc.jpg

we just finished our Christmas decorations and I think they turned out great! I also mounted my light. I think I need a bit more rock maybe 20lbs should do. I'm not sure if I get local live rock, project rock 2.1 or cheap simple base rock.

• 2 weeks later...

I already removed the optics from my chinese black box since I wanted better coverage and I decided to change some LEDs out so I could get some UVs in there. I purchased them from eBay. The seller on Ebay said it had some UV already but you never know if the description is accurate. I ordered 5 10k white and 5 uv. They came from China so they took a little bit but they were cheap!

PC170181_zps3xhrvekq.jpg

Only thing to watch for is the neg and pos posts on the LEDs. I didn't lol and had to redo like 3 of them.

PC170182_zpsyope1vra.jpg

I changed 4 of those yellowish whites for the UV and the red and green for 10k.

PC170186_zpsajuxzcfa.jpg

After opening it looks like it did already have some uv lights. SunSpect is the brand.

Added a bit more rock too.

PC160177_zpspoyppo9o.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the way your moving forward with this.

So many of the threads on here show how you can build a great reef with a lot of money and patience.

Your shows that with a little patience and some ingenuity, you can have have a great looking reef without breaking the bank.

Good job.

I will definitely be following this one. :)

• Like 1

I really like the way your moving forward with this.

So many of the threads on here show how you can build a great reef with a lot of money and patience.

Your shows that with a little patience and some ingenuity, you can have have a great looking reef without breaking the bank.

Good job.

I will definitely be following this one. :)

Thanks Droy! It took awhile lol. Hopefully I can throw money into it after the holidays!

This originally was going to be a FOWLR tank but I'm heading in the same direction of the TOTM. appealing Corals with some predators like lion fish. Felicia's tank is amazing and exactly what I picture in my head.