Pod Your Reef

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

That moment when you realize that your kitchen/dining room has been taken over by your project.

FUO7oRj.jpg?1

I made a lot of headway on the sump last night, it's not brand new but it's 100% better. This sump literally had calcium deposits below the half way mark.

nmLlCou.jpg?1

Love it! My dining room, foyer and kitchen have all been taken over :) I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, squamosa/Maxima hybrids??? that sounds awesome!

They're being called a few things but here's one:

cornbreds-mamosa-squamosa-maxima-hybrid-

http://74.116.0.166/petstore/Cornbred-s-Mamosa-squamosa-Maxima-Hybrid-Clam-Live-Coral_121479016064.html

That one is really expensive, I saw some at the show for 190.00 but it seems like they're at least 175 and up. I'm not sure if they're expected to stay smaller like a a maxima or just not get huge like a squamosa. Some of them have really cool colors like this one but some just look like a squamosa.

They're being called a few things but here's one:

cornbreds-mamosa-squamosa-maxima-hybrid-

http://74.116.0.166/petstore/Cornbred-s-Mamosa-squamosa-Maxima-Hybrid-Clam-Live-Coral_121479016064.html

That one is really expensive, I saw some at the show for 190.00 but it seems like they're at least 175 and up. I'm not sure if they're expected to stay smaller like a a maxima or just not get huge like a squamosa. Some of them have really cool colors this this one but some just look like a squamosa.

Wow, that's interesting! Those colors are cool.

Wow, squamosa/Maxima hybrids??? that sounds awesome!

They are. They're also twice the price. ~300-400 range

Edit: Java beat me to it.

That one is really expensive, I saw some at the show for 190.00 but it seems like they're at least 175 and up. I'm not sure if they're expected to stay smaller like a a maxima or just not get huge like a squamosa. Some of them have really cool colors like this one but some just look like a squamosa.

$190?! The ones at my LFS were $200-$250 but they were about 1 inch big. I'm not dropping that much on a 1 inch clam.

I'm eating 0003800052143_500X500.jpg

while waiting for the vinegar to work it's magic on the area between the sump baffles...what's everyone else doing?

I dunno about pumpkin flavor... but I :wub: poptarts!

They are. They're also twice the price. ~300-400 range

Edit: Java beat me to it.

$190?! The ones at my LFS were $200-$250 but they were about 1 inch big. I'm not dropping that much on a 1 inch clam.

Clammania had the hybrids at RAP for like 180 and up...but they were like 1.5 inches and the ones that were 180 looked like a normal tan squamosa. Once they're produced more consistency they'll probably be closer to what maximas and croceas are I would assume.

So, I ordered this yoga mat to use between the tank and stand and was thinking about what I want to use for the sump. I have some 3/4" styrofoam board and was just going to use that but then I realized....this mat is big enough for both the stand and sump!

So...I cleaned the hell out of the stand today as well...vinegar and some CLR on spots with a lot of rusting (not too many) then gave it a good wipe down with water. I'm, going to do some touch up primer/painting tomorrow then I decided to pick up a matte finish polyurethane to give the interior a new seal. I was going to rustoleum it but it's been raining here and it's a PITA to move things by myself so I'll just paint on the sealer

ad2dd8cd-9ddf-473a-9481-7bea4966addb_400

I was playing with the 120w razor I have too. This tank was being lit by a XR30 Radions I believe and it was a dedicated SPS tank so I think this razor would work fine for what I want to keep....for now :ninja:

Also, there's a pretty distinct waterline around the top of the tank. I've used vinegar and a brand new razor blade and I can't get rid of it. I have CLR but I really don't want to do that...anyone have an idea of how to get rid of it? It doesn't show much when it's wet but still annoys me.

This is 85 whites / 100 blues with just the leg mounts (5" I believe)

ZB3JtkT.jpg?1

This is 85 whites / 100 blues 13" off the water. Still a strong center focus but a lot more coverage (notice that the edge of the lighting is right about where the top of the tank is. Might be good to eliminate some shadowing. Also, a lot less purple on the edges....which is what I don't like about this light in general

MuwJZNf.jpg?1

Did the JB Weld repair..it's been curing for about 45 min, the instructions say it takes 1 hour to cure. I overfilled but wiped off the excess about 10 min after initially setting it...I'm pretty amazed. It looks good already and if the strength is what it claims to be I should be golden.

Thanks to @braaap and @ndrobey for the JB Weld recommendation

rRpy1BF.jpg?1

M0aHrVp.jpg?1

Are you serious?! That looks great.

Yeah, came out pretty good. CAD Lights got back to me about doing a lower internal eurobrace. I'd kinda expected it to be not worth it too expensive...and well, it's not, so it looks like I'm gonna get that done and pick up new cabinet hinges from them.

Jason also said that he has the hard plumbing for the drain, waiting to get more info on what the parts consist of but I may just do that then order some SCH80 stuff from BRS for the return.

Yeah, came out pretty good. CAD Lights got back to me about doing a lower internal eurobrace. I'd kinda expected it to be not worth it too expensive...and well, it's not, so it looks like I'm gonna get that done and pick up new cabinet hinges from them.

Jason also said that he has the hard plumbing for the drain, waiting to get more info on what the parts consist of but I may just do that then order some SCH80 stuff from BRS for the return.

Take a picture with Jason. I need to put a face to the name. He's my favorite over there.

So, I ordered this yoga mat to use between the tank and stand and was thinking about what I want to use for the sump. I have some 3/4" styrofoam board and was just going to use that but then I realized....this mat is big enough for both the stand and sump!

Score! That's awesome!!!!!

I was playing with the 120w razor I have too. This tank was being lit by a XR30 Radions I believe and it was a dedicated SPS tank so I think this razor would work fine for what I want to keep....for now :ninja:

Also, there's a pretty distinct waterline around the top of the tank. I've used vinegar and a brand new razor blade and I can't get rid of it. I have CLR but I really don't want to do that...anyone have an idea of how to get rid of it? It doesn't show much when it's wet but still annoys me.

This is 85 whites / 100 blues with just the leg mounts (5" I believe)

ZB3JtkT.jpg?1

This is 85 whites / 100 blues 13" off the water. Still a strong center focus but a lot more coverage (notice that the edge of the lighting is right about where the top of the tank is. Might be good to eliminate some shadowing. Also, a lot less purple on the edges....which is what I don't like about this light in general

MuwJZNf.jpg?1

Wow, it does make a difference!!! I have a Razor nano over my 12L and I was wondering how to tone down the purple. Well, not wondering any longer as I sold the light, just need to get stuff transferred out so I can ship it!!!!

Did the JB Weld repair..it's been curing for about 45 min, the instructions say it takes 1 hour to cure. I overfilled but wiped off the excess about 10 min after initially setting it...I'm pretty amazed. It looks good already and if the strength is what it claims to be I should be golden.

rRpy1BF.jpg?1

M0aHrVp.jpg?1

Wow, Java. you can't even tell there was a chip! you did an awesome job with that.

rRpy1BF.jpg?1

M0aHrVp.jpg?1

Glad it worked out. I've done it a few times now. I used an entire tube on my QT tank about 3 months but I didn't scrape it off as it is in my furnace room haha

Are you serious?! That looks great.

Ain't that stuff awesome?!

Wrapping things up with CAD Lights....not going to do the eurobracing. The quote they gave me was to just reinforce the corner but would be a huge eyesore...the full eurobracing is would be not worth it expensive so going to stand down on this -_-

I will be ordering new hinges for the sand and the plumbing for the drain. Going to have to order the return plumbing from BRS.

Edit: Anyone have suggestions on how to clean the waterline from the top of the tank? I've tried scrubbing with vinegar and have taken a brand new razor blade to it but can't get it clean. It kind of disappears when it's wet but afraid to using anything like CLR on the inside of the tank.

Try a Mr Clean magic eraser - be sure it's the original and none of the fancy scented ones with additives.

OOHH, forgot about those. I will get some tonight.

You on a plane yet?

I got the waterhog mat today for under the stand....it's not the dimensions described and it's too narrow for the whole stand to rest on top <_<

I think I may just go with something like this

41nq7Ty2PnL.jpg

Archived