Pod Your Reef

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

Nice collection! how high are your radion's?

Thanks, I'm not using Radions. Currently using a ReefBreeders 24" on 95 Blues and 85 Whites during the peak with 120 optics.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice plate collection Java. All you need is a pink one. :flower:

Thank you...he has one and if it's there next go around I'm probably going to get it, lol.

• 2 months later...
JavaJacketOC

I'm so over cyano....over the past couple months I noticed I started getting Red Cyano. Although I don't completely know the root cause, I was feeding my fish every day and feeding Coral every over day. I had a spike in Phosphate that reached about 0.2 on the Hanna checker so after getting that under control I started to try and address the root cause.

• Reduced fish feedings to every other day and feeding small amounts at a time to make sure it was all consumed
  • Started wet skimming
  • Reduced coral feedings to twice a week (Target feeding then running the pumps for about 30 min before turning on the return again)
  • Adjusted pumps to provide more consistent flow throughout the tank vs. wave or random modes.

It came back

• Treated with Chemiclean twice (followed instructions, I figured I have about 70 gallons net) and I didn't notice the biggest reduction in Cyano until the second treatment.
  • Added about 10 dwarf blue legs hermits
  • Started dosing Microbacter7 (3 cupfuls per day and have been for about a week)
  • Changed from Phosguard to GFO (Phosphates went from 0.04 to 0.00 over a few days, not ideal but ok for now until cyano is gone for good)

It came back

I don't really want to treat with Chemiclean again and I'm really only getting small amounts on my sand so I'm going to do a 3 day black out....I'm over this shit.

I picked these little gems up about a week ago. I have no idea what kinda of fairy wrasses they are, they were just labeled "Flame Wrasses". Highly doubtful they're actually Hawaiian Flames but they're only about 2" and look like females/juveniles. The larger one has already established dominance so it'll be nice to see what they look like mature. If anyone else saw them come in and was able to get an ID I'd love to hear it!

They look very red in the picture but they're actually a nice soft pink, tail is a faint yellow, they have orange on the top of the eye and 2 orange bands going side to side in their head, 1 a little in front of the middle of the eye and one behind them, you can see it on the lower fish.

eestg3r.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

UV sterilizer has done wonders on my tank.

I've thought about it, might be something I do down the road. I would need a smaller sump so I could get it all in the cabinet.

I was able to get rid of cyano with MB7 mixed with coral snow . 3mls of both mixed and put aside for 2 days then dosed a couple ml a day. I may have mentioned it already. Rehypes formula.

The fish look very cute, nice to see an update from ya.

JavaJacketOC

I was able to get rid of cyano with MB7 mixed with coral snow . 3mls of both mixed and put aside for 2 days then dosed a couple ml a day. I may have mentioned it already. Rehypes formula.

The fish look very cute, nice to see an update from ya.

I've been using Ben's "coral snow" and I did mix a couple times but but didn't let them sit for 2 days. Maybe I'll try mixing the 2 and letting it sit if the 3 days blackout doesn't work.

I'll get some updated pics this weekend. I saw someone make a ghetto attachment for their phone using a solo cup, totally going to do it so I can get some updated shots. I've seen some nice growth from my sticks in the last couple months and am participating in a grow out and color competition locally, should get be in the mood to start taking pics again.

Thanks about the fish, couldn't resist :)

I found that flow is the biggest help in the past when I had cyano. A good two day black out as well.

Any who keep your head up!

-Dave

JavaJacketOC

I found that flow is the biggest help in the past when I had cyano. A good two day black out as well.

Any who keep your head up!

-Dave

Thank you sir, I'm debating on getting a gyre or a "Cross Flow" but I really do have a lot of flow in the areas where the cyano is present,..might have just gotten a really nasty strain of it.

I'm hoping that Saturday's at 8pm I'm going to whip the towels off of the tank and reveal a crystal clear tank with massively grown out coral colonies fingerscrossed lol

JavaJacketOC

3 day no lights complete....30 min after lights were turned on it's starting to come back on the sand :eek:

Guess I'll let the microbacter7 sit in the calcium carbonate mix for 2 days and hope it works for me.

JavaJacketOC

Some updates pics, hard to get the right colors on some. Colors are a little pale after coming off the 3 day no lights.

Red Planet

P3h6Iqf.jpg?2

Blue Hammer

4gmmKwe.jpg?2

Bowbanki

8JfBo36.jpg?2

Plate alley

Zc3zzYr.jpg?2

Highlighter green Tenuis

y5ZJZHO.jpg?3

Tri Color Tort

1c9IAiC.jpg?2

From 01/04/2016

yMEkvW3.jpg?2

JavaJacketOC

Quite the collection you got going on now.......like that blue hammer!

Thanks, it really is one of my favorite pieces...grew it from 1 head and it's about 8 now. Moving toward more SPS but I can't let this hammer go. Plates either :)

hope you can get rid of the cyano

Thank you, I'm starting to think what I'm left with is not actually cyano, it's looking like heavy diatoms. I was talking with a local reefer who said that some of the supplements I've been dosing could be causing it, specifically the Iron and Potassium. I need to do a little more digging on this but the growth is relatively low at this point so just going to watch it.

I did the MicroBacter7/Snow combo before heading out of town for work, hoping it did some work on whatever is growing on my sand. Luckily it's not growing on any of my rockwork.

Thanks, it really is one of my favorite pieces...grew it from 1 head and it's about 8 now. Moving toward more SPS but I can't let this hammer go. Plates either :)

Thank you, I'm starting to think what I'm left with is not actually cyano, it's looking like heavy diatoms. I was talking with a local reefer who said that some of the supplements I've been dosing could be causing it, specifically the Iron and Potassium. I need to do a little more digging on this but the growth is relatively low at this point so just going to watch it.

I did the MicroBacter7/Snow combo before heading out of town for work, hoping it did some work on whatever is growing on my sand. Luckily it's not growing on any of my rockwork.

So when you say "blue"........how blue are we talking?

You know if you ever need to get rid of it.....to make room for more SPS.......I'm only a PM away :^ )

ReefWeeds

In my 12 long, I had some seriously disgusting diatoms. I thought it was cyano at first, then I thought it was dinos. I ended up taking a water sample to a friend to look at under his microscope because I was FREAKING I had dinos. Just gooey diatoms. I added in a ton of dwarf ceriths and some banded trochus and they took care of it - plus I also think they just cycled out on their own once they consumed the silicates.

JavaJacketOC

So when you say "blue"........how blue are we talking?

You know if you ever need to get rid of it.....to make room for more SPS.......I'm only a PM away :^ )

The picture is pretty close to the blue it shows in person, maybe a little less intense. The tips are like an aqua blue, one of the older pictures in this thread show a bit more of the true color.

Edit: Here's the older picture: r9lKjAE.jpg

In my 12 long, I had some seriously disgusting diatoms. I thought it was cyano at first, then I thought it was dinos. I ended up taking a water sample to a friend to look at under his microscope because I was FREAKING I had dinos. Just gooey diatoms. I added in a ton of dwarf ceriths and some banded trochus and they took care of it - plus I also think they just cycled out on their own once they consumed the silicates.

This is comforting, I think it may be similar to what you had. I wonder if the iron supplement has some sort of silicate feeding it, not really sure. I've been dosing Brightwell Potassium (5ml), Iron (5ml), Iodine (30 drops); Replenish 2.5ml) and KoralColor (3ml)once a week into the main tank. Someone suggested I dose into the sump, not sure why that would make a difference but I plan to do that this week.

ReefWeeds

The picture is pretty close to the blue it shows in person, maybe a little less intense. The tips are like an aqua blue, one of the older pictures in this thread show a bit more of the true color.

This is comforting, I think it may be similar to what you had. I wonder if the iron supplement has some sort of silicate feeding it, not really sure. I've been dosing Brightwell Potassium (5ml), Iron (5ml), Iodine (30 drops); Trace Elements (3ml) and KoralColor (3ml)once a week into the main tank. Someone suggested I dose into the sump, not sure why that would make a difference but I plan to do that this week.

I'm dosing sodium silicate now for my NPS sponges in that tank and I haven't seen them return (I probably just jinxed myself). I'll see if I can dig up a photo to send over and you can see if they look similar!

JavaJacketOC

I'm dosing sodium silicate now for my NPS sponges in that tank and I haven't seen them return (I probably just jinxed myself). I'll see if I can dig up a photo to send over and you can see if they look similar!

I would appreciate it <3

JavaJacketOC

Dunno what happened but my 3.5" Crocea Clam was extremely retracted when I got home from work, foot was completely separated from the body and just left on the rock. She had been doing so well too in her new spot, there was noticeable shell growth in the recent weeks :(

JavaJacketOC

:( I'm sorry, Java.

Thank you, I'm really sad....liked that bish a lot.

No more clams for me probably, can't seem to keep them more than a year for some reason.

ReefWeeds

Thank you, I'm really sad....liked that bish a lot.

No more clams for me probably, can't seem to keep them more than a year for some reason.

awww :( I think a lot of people have the same problem for some reason.

JavaJacketOC

Some new pics.

Random piece I piced up from M.A.X. last month. Was told it tables so they mounted it horizontally. So far it's held a nice blue color and has started encrusting.

HfNktIC.jpg?3

Pink and Green Pocci

oLVnYaB.jpg?2

Flower Petal Monti? It's started to cup up but not hard core, not sure how this is going to look but I like it so far. Started as a frag plug size and is easily 3-4 times that size now.

aXOSr50.jpg?1

Red Dragon

aYriN9P.jpg?2

Aqua SD Blue Mammoth. Hard to get the right color in pics but it's a minty blue, also lost some color from the 3 days no lights.

lDe9OKb.jpg?2

Archived