Coral Vue Hydros

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

Doesn't look like BRS sells a SCH 80 check valve :(

What were you planning on using the check valve on? its not needed on that tank. I dont know how far from San Diego you are but Aquatic Warehouse has a huge selection of plumbing parts.

I would get better bulkheads and throw the ones away that came with the tank. That tank looks like it's drilled for a herbie style drain. I would recommend a true union ball or gate valve on the main drain. Going true union makes it a lot easier to swap it out when it fails.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were you planning on using the check valve on? its not needed on that tank. I dont know how far from San Diego you are but Aquatic Warehouse has a huge selection of plumbing parts.

I would get better bulkheads and throw the ones away that came with the tank. That tank looks like it's drilled for a herbie style drain. I would recommend a true union ball or gate valve on the main drain. Going true union makes it a lot easier to swap it out when it fails.

I don't want to swap the original overflow plumbing because it's all in really good condition. I want the check valve for the return so I can prevent back siphon, it's bad for the pumps.

My plumbing plan was to have a union connected to the drain, then have a true union ball valve somewhere before it hits the sump.

I don't want to swap the original overflow plumbing because it's all in really good condition. I want the check valve for the return so I can prevent back siphon, it's bad for the pumps.

My plumbing plan was to have a union connected to the drain, then have a true union ball valve somewhere before it hits the sump.

I have never heard that back siphon is bad for pumps. The return on the cad sit high enough that back siphon through the return will be very minimal. A schedule 80 check valve is way overkill for aquariums that is why brs dosent carry them.

I have never heard that back siphon is bad for pumps. The return on the cad sit high enough that back siphon through the return will be very minimal. A schedule 80 check valve is way overkill for aquariums that is why brs dosent carry them.

Yeah, I agree that it's overkill but honestly I'm tired of my pumps not starting 100% of the time I turn them back on and I'm not sure if it's related to back siphon (I've read that it's not ideal) or some other reason so just trying to take every precaution.. I spoke with BRS, they said that any check valve with a union will work for schedule 80.

I'm a little torn but I found a local store that sells schedule 80 stuff so I may see what they have and decide where to go from there.

Yeah, I agree that it's overkill but honestly I'm tired of my pumps not starting 100% of the time I turn them back on and I'm not sure if it's related to back siphon (I've read that it's not ideal) or some other reason so just trying to take eery precaution.. I spoke with BRS, they said that any check valve with a union will work for schedule 80.

I'm a little torn but I found a local store that sells schedule 80 stuff so I may see what they have and decide where to go from there.

i like schedule 80 for valves. They seem to last a bit longer then the schedule 40. I like gate valves better then ball valves but they can get expensive. In salt water they will all eventually fail. I see your thinking on the check valve but I think it's just not needed on your tank. I have put together several CAD tanks for people those bulkheads that cad uses are garbage. Seriously do yourself a favor and swap them out for better made bulkheads. As long as nothing was glued in your overflow you should be able to use all the plumbing

i like schedule 80 for valves. They seem to last a bit longer then the schedule 40. I like gate valves better then ball valves but they can get expensive. In salt water they will all eventually fail. I see your thinking on the check valve but I think it's just not needed on your tank. I have put together several CAD tanks for people those bulkheads that cad uses are garbage. Seriously do yourself a favor and swap them out for better made bulkheads. As long as nothing was glued in your overflow you should be able to use all the plumbing

I'll try and get a picture but the unit for the overflow is actually 1 full built unit, the durso drain is completed connected to the bulkhead. it's a 1.5" drain and feels super solid, do you know what tends to be crappy with them?

I was considering replacing the drain with a standard bulkhead but once I felt how solid the existing one was I kinda changed my mind.

It's set up with a durso? How is the 3rd hole set up? Pics please

There isn't a 3rd hole on mine :D Just a 1.5" drain and a 1" return. This tank is a few years old so I think this was their original design. I can get pics tonight but it's really just a standard Durso drain with the return line all in the overflow box.

I found a local hardware store that happens to carry schedule 80 plumbing parts but when looking at the union valves I realized that they are huge for 1.5" piping, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a union on the drain bulkhead without the union valve hitting the back of the stand, this should be fun.

Flex tubing it starting to look a lot better. <_<

You only want to use the valve on a herbie style. I was looking at the pics that Kat linked. Those were herbie style and thought you had the same thing. Since you have a durso drain the valve is not needed and could cause problems down the road since you dont have an emergency overflow drain I would not put a valve on your drain.

You only want to use the valve on a herbie style. I was looking at the pics that Kat linked. Those were herbie style and thought you had the same thing. Since you have a durso drain the valve is not needed and could cause problems down the road since you dont have an emergency overflow drain I would not put a valve on your drain.

Yeah, I think I'm over the valve...just really need a union so I can remove it from the bulkhead. I've started to think about ways of using a SCH 40 hybrid and flex tubing...maybe flex from the bulkhead outlet to a sch 4 drain setup. IDK

Not the actual but in QT now :D

Cirrhilabrus%20lubbocki.jpg

Sadly this kid didn't make it. Wasn't eating and ended up having flukes...had to do a FW dip to provide relief but didn't respond well and went belly up shortly after. :(

:(

Aww. I'm sorry, Java :(

:(

Damn.

Thanks all :grouphug: I feel really bad because I'm sure the FW dip killed it but considering that it wasn't eating and lethargic it was probably inevitable. Going to keep an eye out for an actual pair of fairy wrasses or flashers but will probably wait until the tank is up.

I should be setting up and transferring everything over in about a week...rock and sand is not quite ready but have all of my plumbing read (opted for hard plumbed drain and just going to use clear tubing with a union valve for the for the return.

There is black tubing available. Same stuff just black, photosynthetic funk should not grow in it. I have never liked the clear tubing for anything long term.

There is black tubing available. Same stuff just black, photosynthetic funk should not grow in it. I have never liked the clear tubing for anything long term.

I don't think I've see the black...I'll look for it.

The plan is to set up the new tank in the current tanks location (will be moving the current tank over a couple feet) on Saturday so I can take my time with the transfer. Coworker is going to come over and help me with the lifting but it's all on me from there. I'll have next week off for vacation so plenty of time to fiddle with it but I'm sure I'll have most everyuthing transferred b y Sunday or Monday.

Also thinking about this, seems like it would fit nicely next to the tank.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice reservoir

Thanks, trying to decide what's more important right now...reservoirs are expensive, lol

Are you heading home today?

New rock and sand are not done cycling by my co-worker is coming over today to help me move my current tank and place the new one. Hopefully no mishaps!

Archived