Top Shelf Aquatics

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

FTS: 08/23/2016

4OuIy8A.jpg?1

I'm finally upgrading!...if I can get this thing off the ground :mellow:

Reef Raft is closing it's retails store near me so I picked up one of their CAD Lights Artisan II 70 display tanks. I was considering the CAD Lights Versa 42 but I got a good deal and was able to help out a well known vendor.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a problem during transport :furious:

blIkDIK.jpg?2

Needless to say, I cried a little....I haven't had a glass tank for 10 years because of issues with cracking so for this to happen just really killed me. So far it seems like it's not a huge concern because there's no crack and the chunk that was taken out is below the other 2 panes of glass and separated by silicone but I'm waiting on a response from CAD Lights to see if they can propose a solution (possibly replacing the whole front panel of glass). Otherwise I'll be taking the advice of a couple members and use JB Weld to repair the damage.

Also, the tank was an SPS tank with a lot of dosing...I've got my work cut out as far as cleaning.

I spent about 2 hours on the sump last night, still going to have to figure out how to get the buildup cleaned out from between the baffles....this calcium deposit line was present on all of the chamber walls before I started cleaning.

AC4VmJF.jpg?1

This is the 1' return...probably 1/2" at best now, lol

Z1krmFD.jpg?1

Despite the issue and cleanning needs...I'm still really excited to get this sucker going

iHCSMyK.jpg?1

Lighting

WHO THE HELL KNOWS! Kidding, I have a MaxSpect Razor 120w (my friend's old light) and my MaxSpect Razor Nano which can all be mounted above the tank but I think I want something more like the ReefBreeder 24" or ReefBreeder 32" , It seems like both would probably work as long as I have 120 optics although the 32" would probably eliminate a lot of shadowing.

I don't like the idea of having to use the 2 lights so I'll probably start off with just the 120w Razor then go from there.

Flow

• MP10w flowing across the tank
  • RW-4 flowing front to back on 1 side (which will probably be the SPS or higher flow side)
  • Mag7 for the return
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to need to change out the stand hinges, they're all rusted and it looks like they replaced 1 of the hinges with the wrong mounting bracket which causes the right door to stick out on lower right.

I'll see if I can get replacements from CAD Lights but have looked at some hinges but am unsure of exactly which one I would need to order, I can't seem to find one that looks exactly like the ones in the stand currently. Anyone happen to know off the top of their head? I think it's these

I had a cad lights sump that had a big chip in the corner, and it wasn't an issue. Sump held water with no issues.

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus I seem to be getting is that it's not a big deal. I'm considering adding the internal lower eurobrace but I have a feeling they're going to come back with the cost of a pretty penny. Probably just going to repair the chip with the JB Weld and call it a day.

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus I seem to be getting is that it's not a big deal. I'm considering adding the internal lower eurobrace but I have a feeling they're going to come back with the cost of a pretty penny. Probably just going to repair the chip with the JB Weld and call it a day.

You should reach out to SCA Aquariums. They are located around LA. They make their tanks over in China, so I am not sure if they could help, but it is worth a shot. They did an amazing job on my new tank

I'm eating 0003800052143_500X500.jpg

while waiting for the vinegar to work it's magic on the area between the sump baffles...what's everyone else doing?

I'm eating 0003800052143_500X500.jpg

while waiting for the vinegar to work it's magic on the area between the sump baffles...what's everyone else doing?

Sitting on the couch reading N-R. Yum, those sound GOOD! Strawberry poptarts are my favorite

Sitting on the couch reading N-R. Yum, those sound GOOD! Strawberry poptarts are my favorite

OMG mine too, unfrosted? I was going to strawberry but then saw these and decided to give them a try. Not bad, they definitely remind me of Thanksgiving but not so much pumpkin pie.

OMG mine too, unfrosted? I was going to strawberry but then saw these and decided to give them a try. Not bad, they definitely remind me of Thanksgiving but not so much pumpkin pie.

YES!!! Unfrosted!!!!!!

I like the blueberry ones too, but not nearly as much as strawberry :wub:

YES!!! Unfrosted!!!!!!

I like the blueberry ones too, but not nearly as much as strawberry :wub:

I never really liked blueberry, apparently Blue Rasberry is the best flavor of all but I haven't tried it yet.

Unfrosted Cherry was always my favorite when I was growing up but I don't think they make them anymore.

First 2 chambers clean and done...not perfect but I feel accomplished and considering what I started with, I think I did a pretty good job.

My vinegar is losing it's kick though, might have to pick up another gallon tomorrow to finish the job.

mgMPt2C.jpg?1

The worst part about a new build is thinking about stocking.

But holy sh*t balls I'm gonna need this:

110215-011a.jpg

And probably this:

1102151-238.jpg

And with out a doubt this (I'll even take one of the ORA CB's even though they're apparently not as pretty):

p-90097-gold-assessor.jpg

Toaster Strudels > Pop Tarts

:^ )

No freaking way! Toaster Strudels are gross :) And are like indigestion in a little strudel package :)

The worst part about a new build is thinking about stocking.

But holy sh*t balls I'm gonna need this:

110215-011a.jpg

And probably this:

1102151-238.jpg

And with out a doubt this (I'll even take one of the ORA CB's even though they're apparently not as pretty):

p-90097-gold-assessor.jpg

Here's my word of warning. Don't buy clams from LiveAquaria! I think they're great for everything else, but those ORA clams are no good. I bought an awesome turquoise one - died within 24 hours. Bought a deresa and a small maxima with the credit. Deresa died within 2 weeks and the maxima soon after. The maxima was tiny - less than an inch so I didn't have high hopes from the beginning, but still. I lost three ORA clams within a month. After that, I thought "never another clam ever again" then when I started doing some research, I found a lot of people had the same problems with the ORA clams.

(and for sure, jury is still out whether or not it was my fault on the deresa and little maxima, but the turquoise one was gaping from the start)

Here's my word of warning. Don't buy clams from LiveAquaria! I think they're great for everything else, but those ORA clams are no good. I bought an awesome turquoise one - died within 24 hours. Bought a deresa and a small maxima with the credit. Deresa died within 2 weeks and the maxima soon after. The maxima was tiny - less than an inch so I didn't have high hopes from the beginning, but still. I lost three ORA clams within a month. After that, I thought "never another clam ever again" then when I started doing some research, I found a lot of people had the same problems with the ORA clams.

(and for sure, jury is still out whether or not it was my fault on the deresa and little maxima, but the turquoise one was gaping from the start)

She speaks the truth. Your best bet for clams is Pacific East Aquaculture.

I got a super little ORA from my LFS, for a while there it looked like it was a gonner but somehow it is still hanging there , 6 weeks later. My DR Mac clam from 3 years ago is doing great, got that as a baby too.

Or from PerfectCorals. Love their clams... WYSIWYG. MWhiteLock has 3 from there.

Harry - what is your discount code again? Do they still offer it?

What's the little guy...middle pic?

It's a Ring Tailed Cardinal Fish. I've never seen one before but I love gold stripes and other cardinals...this face pattern on this is really cool. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=284820

No freaking way! Toaster Strudels are gross :) And are like indigestion in a little strudel package :)

She speaks the truth. Your best bet for clams is Pacific East Aquaculture.

I got a super little ORA from my LFS, for a while there it looked like it was a gonner but somehow it is still hanging there , 6 weeks later. My DR Mac clam from 3 years ago is doing great, got that as a baby too.

This makes me sad...This actually clam is 2", which is the smallest I'd consider but I try and go for 2.5-3" to make sure they're over the hump. I probably won't be adding any livestock after I set this bish up for at least a few weeks to let everything stabilize anyway but I'll check Pacific East, I really want a squamosa...might consider one of the maxima/squamosa hybrids when they're not twice the price of a normal squamosa. Thanks for the heads up ladies!

Or from PerfectCorals. Love their clams... WYSIWYG. MWhiteLock has 3 from there.

I'll check them out too.

There's not a lot of clams around right now, apparently a shipment of about 500 didn't have the proper paperwork from the exporter and got held up at customs. I assume this is probably a loss of the shipment one way or another but waiting to see some new stuff start popping up.

That moment when you realize that your kitchen/dining room has been taken over by your project.

FUO7oRj.jpg?1

I made a lot of headway on the sump last night, it's not brand new but it's 100% better. This sump literally had calcium deposits below the half way mark.

nmLlCou.jpg?1

Archived