SaltCritters.com

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call on stopping all dosing to let things settle and then seeing what fuels the issue.

Reef roids caused PO4 spikes. Several of us have caught on to that. So a little pinch is all that is needed.

JavaJacketOC

Good call on stopping all dosing to let things settle and then seeing what fuels the issue.

Reef roids caused PO4 spikes. Several of us have caught on to that. So a little pinch is all that is needed.

I've been feeding coral every other day with RR, about 1/4-1/3 tsp and I seem to get a spike of phosphate spike to about .08 but I have gfo running for 6 hours during the day. This seems to be a good balance for me because it brings it down to .02-.03 within a 24 hour window. I also picked up some of that NanoV Soft Freeze Micro plankton to mix with the RR. I'm going to keep an eye on phosphate though...I get a little heavy handed sometimes with feeding, especially when I have new fish :)

<3 you again for the siphoning suggesting.

Tank looks great, man.

Thanks Jack. Did you get that snail guard for the drain put together?

I've been feeding coral every other day with RR, about 1/4-1/3 tsp and I seem to get a spike of phosphate spike to about .08 but I have gfo running for 6 hours during the day. This seems to be a good balance for me because it brings it down to .02-.03 within a 24 hour window. I also picked up some of that NanoV Soft Freeze Micro plankton to mix with the RR. I'm going to keep an eye on phosphate though...I get a little heavy handed sometimes with feeding, especially when I have new fish :)

Thanks Jack. Did you get that snail guard for the drain put together?

Uhhhh, sure.

JavaJacketOC

Uhhhh, sure.

Get into action Jackson. Don't wanna hear about Mrs. Jack beating you in the wee hours of the morning because the tank overflowed.

YW. NanoSapiens is the one who convinced me. Considering that I feed like it is going out of style also, the siphon takes out some crazy amount of crap. I haven't seen my tiger cucumber for a couple of days. It decided to go inside a cave and was sitting on rocks for a few days. I thought they were sand dwellers. /shrug

JavaJacketOC

Got bored, pic dump.

IMG_5421_zpsqnk02ynu.jpg

IMG_5420_zpsfimt39ez.jpg

IMG_5419_zpsch6moyko.jpg

IMG_5411_zpsqty4hpwj.jpg

IMG_5412_zpst8xdtybz.jpg

IMG_5414_zpsiljruixv.jpg

IMG_5415_zps2imaknp4.jpg

IMG_5410_zpsrcgxu5cv.jpg

IMG_5407_zpsyg3s3fhw.jpg

IMG_5408_zps4yctnga3.jpg

IMG_5406_zpss3sclfjm.jpg

IMG_5405_zps1v6owvpx.jpg

Bringing these over for growth comparison

And I just lost all my imgur links, will post pics later.

JavaJacketOC

Pic dump, some growth comparisons to the ones above. I'm suprised at how much some have grown in just 6 months. Putting things on a doser really seemed to get things going. Enjoy.

Miyagi Tort

Zk0kIDC.jpg

Coral Collection Cali Tort

gb30fD9.jpg

Random RR Asia Piece

nWiMyEQ.jpg

Random LFS piece. This thing was just brown and a little stick when I got it 4-5 months ago. It's not amazing but green base now with nice purple tips, has grown quickly.

1tuYQ94.jpg

Coral Collection Poci

TTgADJt.jpg?1

Random RR Asian piece

5Kp3OMx.jpg

Setosa

4xIKdcp.jpg

Alveopora

FeDUS6l.jpg

Vivid Fire Garden...this thing is encrusting on the side you can't see but it's randomly growing out the stag piece on top.

WBr4NGC.jpg

Random Piece from the last show....anyone know the species name?

rfOdImy.jpg

Random Piece from TGC...it was all green under their light but browned out when everything got pissed. Starting to come back and kinda like the rusty base with green polyps.

lpH5xIi.jpg

Aqua SD Blue Mammoth Tenuis

Ej8jvyA.jpg

Garf Bonsai like piece from TGC

Pv40Do9.jpg

Tri Color Tort...sadly it's not getting blue like it's parent colony even though it's getting a fair amount of light now.

vjazLeb.jpg

RR Asia Loripes

dWkuOPg.jpg

Red Dragon

xH5ozh3.jpg

Hipopus Clam

mz5q7qX.jpg

Random piece from the last show. The base was blue when I bought it but has since browned...the new growth is blueish white but not sure how to get the base back to blue.

Clac424.jpg

Red Planet

AkTCPbH.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest...still one of my favorites

Pt7IYb6.jpg

Random Millie from TGC

6peuG0C.jpg

Plate Runway

Gl1IE9A.jpg

Pink Lemondae

ZrAYoUo.jpg

SPS Plate side shot with some I didn't get individual pics of.

qL8PXFJ.jpg

JavaJacketOC

Very nice!

The light is blue but I'm reasonably certain that your red planet is not a red planet.

I tried to color correct using some simple editing to get it to what it looks like to the naked eye. I've questioned whether it's a red planet as well, the person I picked it up from seemed pretty certain is was red planet but who knows. Seems to grow like one and has similar polyps...maybe same species just different color variety.

I sold a frag of this to someone who had picked up a piece of red planet from Amazing Aquariums (I posed a video of his red planet on my IG several months back) and the person who bought my frag said that he'd gotten a piece from the AA red planet that changed color and ended up looking very similar to mine under radions. AA keeps his under MH and it's RED, there is no green, it is not pink, it's RED, lol.

Red planet shows a different color in different tanks but they are some combination of red (more cranberry really), pink, green.

The green can be really lime or deeper green. The pink can be a hot pink or a deeper fuscia. It's truly beautiful.

This is Zephs red planet under MH

red2_zps025d9e42.jpg

Here is my colony before my tank upgrade killed all but a nub

20150619_193433.jpg

Here is the nub growing before it got pissed off

IMG_2522.jpg

Ross' planet

cJ7ovjT.jpg

JavaJacketOC

Red planet shows a different color in different tanks but they are some combination of red (more cranberry really), pink, green.

The green can be really lime or deeper green. The pink can be a hot pink or a deeper fuscia. It's truly beautiful.

This is Zephs red planet under MH

red2_zps025d9e42.jpg

Here is my colony before my tank upgrade killed all but a nub

20150619_193433.jpg

Here is the nub growing before it got pissed off

IMG_2522.jpg

Ross' planet

cJ7ovjT.jpg

Yeah, it's probably not a red planet...maybe I'll have to refer to is as Cf Red Planet, lol

Now I gotta get my hands on an actual red planet to see what it does in my tank. :)

Outstanding Job Java

Thanks Rehype. I'm really kind of over the shielf piece that most of this is growing on because it was just so flat. I've moved some stuff around as I've started to see their growth rates in hopes that as things mature that area of the tank will have more dimension.

JavaJacketOC

Have been doing KNO3 for about 5 days now, enough to get up to 2 ppm and noticed cyano in the sump this morning Going to test nitrate before dosing tonight to see if I've got buildup. Might cut back to dosing enough for 1 ppm.

JavaJacketOC

Spectracide? Yeah that causes cyano.

Not actually using spectracide but KNO3 from greenleafaquariums.com ...two guys coral started carrying it and since I can't ever seem to get nitrates I wanted to try it. I've been dosing 60ml all at once in the evenings but might see what happens when I put it on the doser tomorrow.

I feel like my reds and greens are starting to look better just in the last week I've been using it, not sure though.

JavaJacketOC

Potassium will do that. :)

I've been keeping my potassium at 400 with brightwell for the last couple months, you think it would take that long for the result to show?

Random Piece from TGC...it was all green under their light but browned out when everything got pissed. Starting to come back and kinda like the rusty base with green polyps.

lpH5xIi.jpg

Aussie delicate?

JavaJacketOC

Aussie delicate?

I'm not sure, I'll ask next time I go. He had a lot of them and then he had some that were orangy brown with yellow polyps. He told me the species name but I forgot :(

It also has a little acro crab in it :D

I've been keeping my potassium at 400 with brightwell for the last couple months, you think it would take that long for the result to show?

I haven't measured potassium, Triton came back high - 450. 400 is the setpoint so it's probably maintaining your colors. Try a little increase. And I mean little. It's not instant, the color increase is gradual. But if you aren't seeing improvement, increase your dose.

JavaJacketOC

Just tested water

Alk 9.38 (Little high)

Cal 421

P04 .13 (wtf how did it get this high)

I reduced the amount of Alk dosed per day by 2ml, will monitor to see if it drops closer to 9

I have been running GFO for 6 hours a day, going to see how much is removed after today's 6 hour cycle then probably up it. Probably contributing tio the Cyano in the sump.

Edit: Tested Nitrate, appears to be low maybe 5 ppm but going to reduce the amount being dosed by 50% then measure again in a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived