Pod Your Reef

Filterless 10g wavemaker or no?

AMEE

I will have two koralia 240ghp. Will a wave maker help in any way or will having both powerheads running all day be better?

This is kinda a double thread but I need some help deciding what will be better for the tank filtration wise and can't find any good info.

I agree with JR!.

If you have the money wavemakers are great for random flow. My corals in my 29 did much better when I want from powerheads to the mp10. This doesn't mean you will see the same results, but I can't see any of my future tanks without a wavemaker.

Either way, as long as you have good flow and aren't blasting corals with your powerheads you should be fine. You may have to play with their positioning until you find a good spot for them. Many people keep successful tanks without wavemakers, don't feel like you NEED one. Make sure you do plenty of water changes either way.

I agree with JR!.

If you have the money wavemakers are great for random flow. My corals in my 29 did much better when I want from powerheads to the mp10. This doesn't mean you will see the same results, but I can't see any of my future tanks without a wavemaker.

Either way, as long as you have good flow and aren't blasting corals with your powerheads you should be fine. You may have to play with their positioning until you find a good spot for them. Many people keep successful tanks without wavemakers, don't feel like you NEED one. Make sure you do plenty of water changes either way.

Thanks I got a package deal with both the power heads and wavemaker so I will give it a shot. My only concern is since it's a wavemaker only one will be pushing water at a time, doesn't this reduce the the overall turnover of the water? I have a power head that's too strong right (sicce 530gph) now so I think either way the corals will be happier.

I've been doing 2.5 gallon every Sunday. Should I kick it up to 5gallon every week?

Thanks I got a package deal with both the power heads and wavemaker so I will give it a shot. My only concern is since it's a wavemaker only one will be pushing water at a time, doesn't this reduce the the overall turnover of the water? I have a power head that's too strong right (sicce 530gph) now so I think either way the corals will be happier.

I've been doing 2.5 gallon every Sunday. Should I kick it up to 5gallon every week?

If I understand what you are asking, yes, a wavemaker will sort of keep water in the same spot if it was the only thing on the tank.

Deep_water_wave.gif

Can you not run both? Maybe a timer on each so you get different types of flow?

I would just try both types of flow and see which you feel visually is a greater benefit (how your corals respond). There are many factors we can't know about the tank from your post.

Archived