ReefCleaners.org

Totes' 40 Peninsula - Work in progress

TotesMaGoat

Ever since I tore down my last tank I've been dreaming of setting up another. 4+ years later, I am finally putting together a 40 breeder. I've really liked the footprint of the breeder and have always wanted to set it up as a peninsula. I have been tank-less so long because I just haven't had the time to dedicate to a reef tank with school.I graduate and move august 16' so I have been trying to hold off until I settle, but when i saw the petco 1$/g sale I had to pick up a 40breeder :D As of right now I have 90% of what I need, just need to order some rock and do some drilling and I'll be on my way! Expect to see a wet tank within 3-4 weeks. Besides the peninsula style, I am planning on stocking this mostly as a lps tank with some zoa/rics, nem and possibly a clam, we'll see, plenty of time to decide. Not big on SPS, i like stuff that moves with the water, though some ora green birdsnests and montis may make it in the tank. Fish wise i will probably just go with 4-5 tangs. Just kidding, I'll have at least 7-8.

Here's what I have so far:

Tank: Aqueon 40Breeder with Glass-Holes 700gph overflow, single 3/4" return

Light: Tek Elite 6x39, prefer the coverage vs led

Sump: 20L w/ eheim 1260 (going to run a sock, not using a skimmer as of now may change, plenty of macro)

Flow: Jebao rw8, possibly get a 2nd or +rw4 once I see what I'm working with

Think that covers all the important components for now. Waiting for an ro booster pump plus new filters, rock will be ordered within a week or so, then will drill the tank and get things rolling. Will post some pictures when it starts looking more like a tank and less like a fire hazard

• 9 months later...

FINALLY in a position to get this thing up and going.

Rock, salt, RO/DI refill, sand, stuff to hang the light, sump light and some other fun stuff is arriving thursday. Plumbing is ready to be attached, tank should be wet by Sunday night. Some pictures of how it sits right now: The "stand" I got for it is not a looker, but it is practical solves my light hanging issue.

P1000335.jpg

P1000337.jpg

And heres why I have been so slow geting this started. Bought a new sled to chase some redfish down here on the texas coast:

P1000306.jpg

Got it up and running. Today is day 2. Tank still pretty cloudy, not much in terms of filtration to help with that, yet. Few things that I need to work on:

-This tank is in my bedroom, and it is loud. Primarily the first bend of the overflow. Any ideas? Will probably just have to put up with it or install a T in the return to reduce flow.

-One of my baffles came detached from the silicone, didnt let it set long enough. Going to rebuild it this weekend, add a first chamber w/o sand and add a skimmer (bought a new reef octopus 110INT today).

-Patience

P1000338.jpg

P1000339.jpg

P1000340.jpg

P1000345.jpg

P1000344.jpg

P1000342.jpg

Archived