Cultivated Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Hoyts are like 800 bucks, at least the recurves I saw from them. Very nice, but whoa mama $$$. Haven't seen much about PSE, but I'll look into those. What is your draw weight and what kind of bow draw do you use?

My hunting bow is a Bear Cruzer- it was a RTH purchase- with my military discount at cabelas the whole thing (bow with all accessories such as peep, sight, rest, stabilizer, release, arrows) was about 400 bucks and it was all i needed to get involved in shooting. i still love it- it's small and compact for hunting, and has a really smooth draw. its also way more adjustable than most bows, so even though my draw weight started out at like 18 pounds, i'm now pulling 40- and it will go up to 70. my mom is now using it to get started too, and it'll be a good backup in addition to hunting.

my nice target bow was provided to me at a huge discount from the bow shop that has me on staff as a shooter (thank god- way out of my price range if it hadnt been that way!). it's a PSE compound bow called the Dominator 3D. I put a Hamskea rest, a Bee Stinger stabilizer, and a TruGlo 5 pin sight on it.

im 5 ft 10- usually your draw length is close to half of your height- mine is 27.5 inches right now but i expect to keep opening up in the next year. my draw weight is 40 pounds right now.

Edit: you said bow draw, and if you meant release, I use the Wiseguy Spothogg buckle release. http://www.amazon.com/Spot-Hogg-Wise-Guy-Release/dp/B00P6M37QG

All of that is far over my head. I'm 6'1 so I assume i'll have a slightly larger draw length than you, but not by much.

I'll dig through stuff to see what is out there. Not in a hurry, and I don't need to meet a hunting season deadline as I have no interest in that itself (would love to learn to track, though).

thanks for the info on the release - that answers my question. I didn't know that's what those things were called, but I've seen a lot of people use them.

thecoralbeauty

How is everything doing?

things are good. the mysterious acro is bleaching on some tips, but it had been having it rough for a while since it got knocked down and i didn't catch it for several days. fortunately it was cheap so it if doesn't make it i won't be too upset.

Idaho Grape monti cap is touching the starburst monti cap- will they fight!?

Finally got the stupid RFA out of there. stuck it in the sump in an empty takeout soup container. it's going back to the LFS today in exchange for more reef energy probably. it had continually crawled around to sting more SPS regardless of where i blasted it with flow from. just couldn't win. i don't think i'll miss his headache much. what sort of RFA did he think he was, that he could just walk around like he owns the place, stinging things as he pleases?!

also re-arranged the jack-o-lantern and a clam or two in order to keep it from getting run over by green star polyp.

oh, and the purple stylophora is beautiful. :) i was able to get it off the frag plug to mount it really nicely on the new SPS shelf i had made last week. I can't wait till i start seeing more growth from all the SPS. the birds nest has recently taken off quite a bit- i had just the original stump in there from when daisy went through the roof on the old 20gal tank. its started to really branch beautifully.

my pearl berry is kind of a turd still. hmmm. what to do?!

just fed everything- will take lots of photos as soon as the water clears a bit. things are looking great!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Neon blue goby riding his magic carpet- seaweed for the tangs that came loose.

7CAFEA52-392D-4C29-B93D-6DCC8F5FABAF_zps

Full Tank Shots/ Different Color Casts?

E0E7606C-CD00-40B6-A30F-451BF4426161_zps

FDCBE6D1-4027-4357-B3A9-6312DE215576_zps

The Rough-Looking Acro:

6AFF3D7C-72D3-41CF-A02A-18FE131F8FFA_zps

07250302-2C96-4731-BBDB-84E28D7AF3CB_zps

(with the turd-berry in front)

F1E6C280-0C98-47A5-A9E9-3F501164A1E7_zps

Cali Tort:

A02BB504-7705-479C-B958-0A5E791AB8C0_zps

Acropora Insignis:

DF911601-F540-4D84-8FB3-7B029DB40759_zps

Purple Stylo:

47CA6294-5023-4695-99A6-AF099B80CC68_zps

F9E4CC36-638B-4FAE-9E87-2EAEA0B31875_zps

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

my pearl berry RTN'd. wish i knew why... that was always my favorite. :(

That's so crazy about your rfa. Mine was vice versa, multiple ones got stung by other things and they mainly stayed still. What did you end up getting?

yea its sad, i'll miss him.

was on a time crunch and didn't get anything else but will probably grab some reef energy. i got 30 bucks for that one RFA. :) it was a monster though.

That torch coral is amazing!!

thank you! i love it!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

New frags today. guess I shopped my feelings after losing my favorite sps- the pearlberry.

Mint Pavona:

IMG_5890_zpseflcl5ji.jpg

Monti Setosa:

IMG_5888_zpsvdqrbjtx.jpg

Green Poci:

IMG_5889%202_zpsdmysntf3.jpg

FTS for placement (with dirty glass):

FullSizeRender_zpsseski7vk.jpg

• Like 4
thecoralbeauty

Alk- 8.6

Ca- 350

Mg- 1320

will bump everything a bit- not much but a bit.

will also start dosing mg through the dosing pump instead of doing it by hand and throwing it all off. as soon as i find some tubing...

• Like 2

Alk- 8.6

Ca- 350

Mg- 1320

will bump everything a bit- not much but a bit.

will also start dosing mg through the dosing pump instead of doing it by hand and throwing it all off. as soon as i find some tubing...

I haven't dosed or tested Mg yet, I should get on that. Well actually I need to test the new tank! Just realized I have no idea what the parameters are :lol:

So a snail knocked off the setosa frag. and when i went to reglue it, it broke in two. now i have two tiny frags hah

I broke my green slimer a while back while trying to get it off of the plug it was on. Two pieces were really tiny I glued them down and now I have three good size pieces. Hope your pieces of setosa grow out quickly for you!

• Like 2

The pearlberry is a tough acro to keep. Once the tank can sustain growth in SPs, you might want to try again, it's just one of those corals that is a hit or miss. I love it too and my first frag did not make it, it arrived turd brown to begin with. I haven't bought it again to try - where would I put it ha.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

The pearlberry is a tough acro to keep. Once the tank can sustain growth in SPs, you might want to try again, it's just one of those corals that is a hit or miss. I love it too and my first frag did not make it, it arrived turd brown to begin with. I haven't bought it again to try - where would I put it ha.

well, maybe in a few months we'll both retry.. mine was a turd for quite some time but started to color up in this tank before it went kaput.

There's really not another acro like it, so yea, it may be worth re-trying. i have to give myself a timeline though. I need to see some better growth from my current SPS collection- but also will need to make sure the tank is decently matured otherwise as well. maybe i'll try in june for my birthday or something. that'll put the tank at 8 months old. maybe i should wait longer though??

• Like 1

Forgot to post these last week- The new SPS shelf rock I puttied on has been up since Friday.

1128DF6C-DBF6-4873-A77B-92357F76FB0C_zps

Very well thought out hardscape. I like it!

I've had two Pearlberry frags, and both have done well. It's just conjecture, but I've provided high light, medium flow, and higher nutrients.

well, maybe in a few months we'll both retry.. mine was a turd for quite some time but started to color up in this tank before it went kaput.

There's really not another acro like it, so yea, it may be worth re-trying. i have to give myself a timeline though. I need to see some better growth from my current SPS collection- but also will need to make sure the tank is decently matured otherwise as well. maybe i'll try in june for my birthday or something. that'll put the tank at 8 months old. maybe i should wait longer though??

If you are seeing growth in the current SPS you have then I would try the pearl again.

Very well thought out hardscape. I like it!

I've had two Pearlberry frags, and both have done well. It's just conjecture, but I've provided high light, medium flow, and higher nutrients.

That sounds about right.

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*