Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Back into aquariums 2 gallon

Shifumi

This will be neat. I think I read a post here where someone had a jar that was maxed out in rock and corals.. It could have been an older thread.

Edit: It was Brandon429's, absolutely amazing vase. Not sure if this is what you had in mind but if you need info he has plenty on his thread. Just search 9 year old 1gal pico reef.

Excited to see this little jars progress.

His vase was what got me looking into reef vases there's now several out there and a lot of them do very well I'm pretty excited , allways loved small tanks and the unique challenges and wonders they provide !

My last saltwater tank was a fluval edge 6 gallon and it was lovely until I had no more time to maintaine it due to work and I had to sell it

Hi Shifumi!

Glad to see someone else starting at the same time as me! I've been out of reefing for about 8 years due to moving back and forth from Canada/Japan. I've never stopped wanting to get things going again. I think this pico might be a great thing until I can settle down somewhere. I have some things I'd like to test out and hopefully help out the reefing community with my findings.

I set up my 2 gallon cookie jar about 4 days ago, but need some other equipment because this isn't going to work the way it is.

So far I've been trying to keep a steady temperature. I've been using a power head from a Fluval filter, but it's generating way too much heat in the jar (83f+) My room temperature is 74f. I have a Rio 50 and Rio 180 coming on Friday to see if that helps. I have the jar on my computer desk and don't really want to hear bubbles, but I may not have a choice if either of these rio's don't work out. Update: Even the small power heads are generating too much heat, going to go with the air pump.

I tried using a 20w Coralife Compact mini 50/50, but it adds to the jars temperature. I plan on getting some SPS so I decided to follow "Maritza", which is an inspiration to me (Brandon is an inspiration as well and is who I originally stumbled upon), and ordered a ABI Par38 12w LED 50/50 (also coming on Friday). I believe that's what is used in the latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7944BJfdOA

What are you planning on lighting your jar with?

Archived