Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone awake on the east coast? It's 7 here and I'm read uh for bed.

I'm about to do a water change for the QT tank with flashers but am tired AF after this day!

Anyone awake on the east coast? It's 7 here and I'm read uh for bed.

I went to bed before 9!!!!

I ate too much. I feel like I gained at least 20 lbs :) Now I'm just being lazy!

It got so warm overnight that it is actually colder in our garage than it is outside! all the windows have condensation on the outside!

QRRacgo.jpg

And in not so good news, the beat up chromis didn't make it. I noticed he was hiding in the rocks yesterday and then today, dead chromis. After some research, I found out that most chromis with injuries don't make it. Two came to me pretty beat up. The second beat up guy seems to be doing ok, but he's got a gash behind one of his pectoral fins and that one fin doesn't work, so I don't have high hopes. Which would mean I'd be down to three from my original 5.

CsOb3RH.jpg

Sorry about the fish :(

That stinks, hopefully the remaining ones are healthy and peaceful with each other.

thanks ladies. They all seem peaceful actually and the blenny likes to school with them. It's cute to watch. I'm almost certain the spot over the eye was an injury and not ich on the beat up fish which is good as I freaked thinking I introduced ich to my tank by not QT'ing etc. The others look fine except the one with the injured fin, but he seems to be getting around fine with just the one.

thecoralbeauty

It got so warm overnight that it is actually colder in our garage than it is outside! all the windows have condensation on the outside!

QRRacgo.jpg

And in not so good news, the beat up chromis didn't make it. I noticed he was hiding in the rocks yesterday and then today, dead chromis. After some research, I found out that most chromis with injuries don't make it. Two came to me pretty beat up. The second beat up guy seems to be doing ok, but he's got a gash behind one of his pectoral fins and that one fin doesn't work, so I don't have high hopes. Which would mean I'd be down to three from my original 5.

CsOb3RH.jpg

awe, not you too!! :( I'm sorry stella... at least now you know it wasn't ich!

awe, not you too!! :( I'm sorry stella... at least now you know it wasn't ich!

No kidding. I was so worried about that. This poor guy was really beat up to begin with so I'm not surprised he was the first to go.

Want some? Come on over! My dad wanted an apple, a pumpkin and a pecan. There's only going to be 8 of us. That's a lot of freaking pie for 8 people!

I made an Apple-Pumpkin Pie yesterday. Layer of apples in a caramel sauce on the bottom, pumpkin custard on the top. I should send you the recipe!

I'm a sucker for pumpkin and pecan pies, can your dad adopt me?

I also have a Pumpkin Pecan Pie recipe!

With all this talk about bourbon, have you guys seen these? Alcohol containing advent calendars! They have a variety of different alcohols. The link to the bourbon one is here.

I made an Apple-Pumpkin Pie yesterday. Layer of apples in a caramel sauce on the bottom, pumpkin custard on the top. I should send you the recipe!

I also have a Pumpkin Pecan Pie recipe!

With all this talk about bourbon, have you guys seen these? Alcohol containing advent calendars! They have a variety of different alcohols. The link to the bourbon one is here.

YES! Recipes for both please! Those sound awesome!

And I did see those advent calendars!!!! Aren't they cool?

YES! Recipes for both please! Those sound awesome!

And I did see those advent calendars!!!! Aren't they cool?

I think I would go for either the rum or the tequila calendar...

Anyways, for the recipes!

Apple Pumpkin Pie

1 deep dish frozen pie crust

Apple Layer:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp. cornstarch

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/3 cup water

2 tbsp butter

3 cups peeled apples sliced about 1/8 in thick

Pumpkin Layer:

3/4 cup pumpkin puree

3/4 cup evaporated milk

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375. In a skillet combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, water, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken, creating a caramel sauce. Add the apples and continue cooking over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the mixture into the frozen pie crust and set aside. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, egg, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the apple layer. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Check the crust occasionally, if it looks too brown, cover the edges with foil. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate.

Note: If you can't find the deep dish pie crusts like I couldn't the day before Thanksgiving, you can use 2 regular pie crusts and make two pies. There is enough apple to divide into the two crusts. However, you will need to double the pumpkin layer quantities to have enough for both pies.

Pumpkin Pecan Pie

2 cups pumpkin

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

3/4 tsp cinnamon

3/4 tsp powdered ginger

1/8 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

Topping:

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 250. In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, vanilla, eggs, and milk. Mix until well blended. Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 40 minutes. Meanwhile mix the topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping on the pie and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool and refrigerate before slicing.

Stella, you read correctly... Chromis are drama queens, one flaw and they just give up on life. I never sold them unless they were 100% or warned the customer heavily. I agree, prolly not ich, just scratch n dent.

Maxed out at a crisp 32deg all day here. Mtns got another dusting, really nice "fall" weather. Waiting till the ski areas are 75% or better open till I drop monies on a day pass... or the freebie days start rolling in.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Whiskey advent calendar... might be an oxymoron as, aren't we supposed to give up sumthin for advent? Surely it can't be Whiskey, can it? Nope, gotta be sumthin negative, and nothing about Whiskey is negative. Gonna consider it as a gift for mah uncle next year. :)

Hope you had an awesome thanksgiving and sorry about the chromis.

Thanks Ninja!!! I need to go over and check your thread!!!

Well the Chromis with the broken wing died last night. It was fine and then i saw it hanging out in the Chromis corner of death (aka the corner where chromis go to die). I put it in the sump and then found it a few hours later stuck to the return pump :wacko:

Stella, you read correctly... Chromis are drama queens, one flaw and they just give up on life. I never sold them unless they were 100% or warned the customer heavily. I agree, prolly not ich, just scratch n dent.

Maxed out at a crisp 32deg all day here. Mtns got another dusting, really nice "fall" weather. Waiting till the ski areas are 75% or better open till I drop monies on a day pass... or the freebie days start rolling in.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Whiskey advent calendar... might be an oxymoron as, aren't we supposed to give up sumthin for advent? Surely it can't be Whiskey, can it? Nope, gotta be sumthin negative, and nothing about Whiskey is negative. Gonna consider it as a gift for mah uncle next year. :)

Yeah, two of mine said #### it and decided to give up. No spots on them, just the injuries. The one with the fin that wouldn't work, the gash got red so I didn't have much hope.

I'm looking forward to some snow!! I love the stuff. Do you take any photos when you're up on the mountains? I'd love to see them. We're thinking of getting a season pass to Okemo in vermont, but I'm just not sure we'd use it/get up there enough. One of our friends rented a condo for the season so we'd have a place to stay, but with all the pets, it isn't easy to get away for the weekend.

Yeah, agreed. Not one thing about whiskey is a negative :)

oh gosh, that sucks. they all came from saltwaterfish.com?

Yup. I will NEVER order from Saltwaterfish.com again. I had a gift certificate so I figured why not? Well, now I know why not. Well, that and actually I don't think I'll ever order fish online again. Learned my lesson and luckily I didn't introduce ich to the tank, but ordering online for fish is too scary.

I sent them a note about how unhappy I was with the chromis as two were pretty beat up and they weren't all the size advertised (I ordered small ones and got two small ones and three large ones - two of the large ones are the ones that didn't make it). The midas is beautiful, but way too skinny. Although it is eating well and finally the stomach isn't so concave. Anyway, sent a note and haven't heard one word back. Terrible service.

Archived