inTank Media Baskets

New 10g

Brandonmw

So I just started in this new adventure that is saltwater. This is my starting point. See photo. As of today I have just changed the crushed coral to new live sand ( 10 lbs ). Currently I am running an aqua clear 20 hob and an aqua clear 20 power head. The tank was used for saltwater previously and was still up and running when I got it a little over a week ago. It had a single piece of live rock in it. I have recently add the the rest. Currently in tank cycling process.

post-89518-0-52065900-1446073579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Would anyone recommend upgrading the hob filter? I was thinking either the Aqua clear 30 or 50. Also picked up some chemipure elite and purigen media. Would you just remove the zeo carb and add both of these? Also is it nessary to keep the bio media in the filter with live rock? Just thinking it might make more room for the other two.

Nice little aquascape, but I would remove the fake stuff. :)

How are you cycling, does it have any critters in it?

The AC filters are pretty powerful, a larger size might be too much.

I do think you could find a smaller powerhead to improve the looks, and get one of the hydor flow thingies ... let me find it ...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_AUQA_Gadget_Spin_Stream_Return_Nozzle_Accessories_for_Aquariums-Innovative_Marine-0I10200-FIAQAA-vi.html

Just suggestions, good luck. :)

• Like 2

I would recommend upgrading the hob filter to at least the aquaclear 50. Also, check out the inTank media baskets. They are really popular among nano reef members. I would remove the zeo carb and bio media, and just run the chemi pure elite and purigen.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice set up. I agree you should remove the fake stuff and that power head is monstrous. I think if you want to put that media in the aquaclear 20, it doesn't leave much room for live rock, but I think you should go for the media. I just started a tank 2 weeks ago with well established live rock and sand and I upgraded the filter to have chemi pure elite, purigen, and ceramic rings and things have been really stable and leveled out quickly. The water is crystal clear until I reach my hand in to move something, which happens almost daily lol.

I also agree with Davek.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. The little fake plants are now go took them out today when I changed the crushed coral out. Will post a new pic once the water is nice and clear again. As for the Aqua clear 50 don't think it will be to much water movement for a 10 gallon?

I don't think the larger aqua clear filters would be a problem on a 10 gallon since the flow is adjustable. The larger filters will increase your total water volume, and allow more space for filter media. Also, you can squeeze a heater in the 50 or 70 if you do the inTank media basket upgrade.

• Like 2

Yeah I do want to change that power head it's what came with the tank. It also only looks that big because there is a filter cartridge attached to it. Figured I would leave it for now to help seed for awhile as it was in there from the old owner. Just looking at good options to replace it with right now but don't want to over power the tank.

Currently doing an empty tank cycle just have live rock. The one original it came with. And the 4 new pieces of cultured rock that I added as well as the live sand. Then just flake food.

• Like 2

Yeah I do want to change that power head it's what came with the tank. It also only looks that big because there is a filter cartridge attached to it. Figured I would leave it for now to help seed for awhile as it was in there from the old owner. Just looking at good options to replace it with right now but don't want to over power the tank.

Currently doing an empty tank cycle just have live rock. The one original it came with. And the 4 new pieces of cultured rock that I added as well as the live sand. Then just flake food.

Remember to quote us or like posts so we see you responded. :) The forum software has a lot of nice tools to inform users of quoted replies and such.

• Like 1

From what I've read and experienced so far, most salt water inhabitants like a good amount of flow. I'm using a koralia nano 240 powerhead in my 8 gallon, which is really more like 6 gallon display space and it's fine. I'm upgrading to an 11 gallon tank and am putting an aquaclear 70 on it. It's going to be awesome! Plus, like Davek said, you can put the heater in the bigger filters and clean up the display space.

• Like 2

Nice little aquascape, but I would remove the fake stuff. :)

How are you cycling, does it have any critters in it?

The AC filters are pretty powerful, a larger size might be too much.

I do think you could find a smaller powerhead to improve the looks, and get one of the hydor flow thingies ... let me find it ...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_AUQA_Gadget_Spin_Stream_Return_Nozzle_Accessories_for_Aquariums-Innovative_Marine-0I10200-FIAQAA-vi.html

Just suggestions, good luck. :)

Sorry about that. Not as many option on the Mobile site on my phone

• Like 2

Sorry about that. Not as many option on the Mobile site on my phone

Tanks coming along well- for mobile go to the bottom of the page and change to full view - I forget the exact name- it will allow you to view it just like a computer so you will have all the options- that's what I do with my iPad. Welcome to the community.

• Like 1

Tanks coming along well- for mobile go to the bottom of the page and change to full view - I forget the exact name- it will allow you to view it just like a computer so you will have all the options- that's what I do with my iPad. Welcome to the community.

Thanks !

• Like 2

Nice tank! You could hide that power head for the time being behind that tall rock until you get a different power head.

Thanks! I could do that but I'm hoping to change it out this weekend.

• Like 1

What Would be better in your opinions for my new power head . Looking at the hydor koralia evolution nano 240 or the hydor koralia evolution 425 just not sure if the 425 would be to much with the new aqua clear 70 hob

So a bit of a change of plans. After trying the Aqua clear 70 on the tank I really don't like the look if it especially since it's a feature piece in my living room, it takes up the entire back of my tank so I have to move the light and heater to the side. So my new plan is to go with a second Aqua clear 20 and fill it with live and add chaeto with a screen above to keep it down. Then a small led light above. There would thus be one mechanical and bio filter plus the hydor koralia evolution 240 power head.

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update on things. Recently got all my new products. Second ac20 with in tank media holder new hydor 240 power head and new fluval nano halo fixture. Pics will be up soon. Also added the first of my clean up crew. 4 hermits and there doing great. Next for some snails next week. Also in the process of turning another ten gallon into a fuge/sump. So there will be double the water volume soon.

Has anyone ever used the

Deep Blue Promaxx Overflow Box - Nano ?

And what is a good return pump?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well update again. Everything has been running really smooth so far. Over the last few week there are some to residence in the tank they are 2 turbin snails, 1 emerald crab, 1 dragons eye zoo, and 1 candy cane lps. Everyone seems to be loving there new home. Pic will be up soon.

• Like 1