Pod Your Reef

3 gallon...I think?

Iuvat

Hello nanoreef!

I'm just getting back into the aquarium life. I've done saltwater since middle school, and coral for a few years in nanos and picos. My ex showed up to my house a few weeks ago with our old 7.5 gallon cube dying in bitter, bitter old water, and left it on my porch. Sigh.

All the coral and fish were dead, except for some salvageable LR, (somehow) my two baby sexy shrimp, my tailspot, and some hermits. They've been chilling in this make shift cramped 1.5 gallon I got from Walmart that night. Time for an upgrade since I know I'll miss it if I get rid of it.

Found this sick little tank at goodwill for $10. It looks like it's DIY itself and I decided it's what I wanna deck out. It has an outlet for a 15watt bulb that works...which is kinda useless, but who knows! And a useless underground filter I'm tearing up right now. It has plenty of space for a DIY LED panel uptop which is why I liked it, plus the little orange strip glows through with the light which is cool. I think I'll just do a modded Aquaclear on back, throw in some mushies and zoas and call it home for my shrimps.

If any has any recommendations for light setups I'm down to hear it....I've done DIY LED's before but I'm not proficient so it was messy, I was clean this time and would love something easy, like strips. I don't have a ruler in the house so I have no idea how big this thing is, but I wanna say like 6x5 and the tank itself is maybe 8inches tall.

Thanks for looking!

post-75206-0-69635800-1446010807_thumb.jpg

post-75206-0-33725400-1446010824_thumb.jpg

post-75206-0-54436300-1446010838_thumb.jpg

If you just want zoas and mushrooms, you can pretty much put anything over that tank and it'll grow them. I put a very cheap, less than 50 dollar fixture from petco over a 20 gallon long and was able to grow zoas and mushrooms. It would very rapidly see a decline when I tried putting an lps frag in there, but for zoas and mushrooms the par value is pretty low and pretty much anything will do. The one I picked up was pretty simple white and blue leds.

That's my experience at least.

I would try a Coralife 50/50 mini-compact and see how it does. They come in 10W and 20W and are only $10-$15. Then if you want to upgrade later you haven't invested too much. That's my plan so far.

Archived