Pod Your Reef

Silent Pico Reef tank possible?

strich

I've been doing a lot of research on potentially setting up a 3ish Gallon reef tank to put on my office desk and one of the things I've not seen anyone discuss or try to solve is the loudness of the tank. I don't really want to annoy my colleagues with a constant vibrating hum or overly loud free running water.

Has anyone seen any threads on people who've tried to create a pico reef tank with a focus on making the tank reasonably silent?

Thanks.

My pico is super silent. It has no skimmer and a zetlight (no fan) as light and an aqua-el minifan filter (super silent) as return pump cus the original pump was to loud.

My pico is super silent. It has no skimmer and a zetlight (no fan) as light and an aqua-el minifan filter (super silent) as return pump cus the original pump was to loud.

What tank did you get? Any issues without a skimmer?

So if it is an AIO, best thing to do is minimize the amount of pumps. So no protein skimmer or reactor and try to minimize the sound of falling water in the AIO chamber, which can be by designing it in a specific way or using a lid. For the return pump, try and use something pretty silent and get a small light with no fan.

Man. So few of these products exist at all in the UK. :/

Are fans in light fixtures really that necessary? I'd have figured a LED configuration of almost any brightness wouldn't get so hot to be a heat hazard. Or does this have more to do with drawing it away from the tank itself?

I have a 12" heatsink on my 6 gallon tank with 9 LEDs and no fan. This was over my Spec V before that and has been running for over 2 years without a problem.

Honestly though for a smaller tank I would just get a Par 38 bulb and be done with it.

I've been doing a lot of research on potentially setting up a 3ish Gallon reef tank to put on my office desk and one of the things I've not seen anyone discuss or try to solve is the loudness of the tank. I don't really want to annoy my colleagues with a constant vibrating hum or overly loud free running water.

Has anyone seen any threads on people who've tried to create a pico reef tank with a focus on making the tank reasonably silent?

Thanks.

Our custom AIO nano tank is totally silent except for only the sound of water flow, running Eheim compact 600 pump will get you silent.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/366146-designers-10g-aio-se-feat-coralfish12g-new-picsvideos/

as silent as it gets without annoying a roommate in a dorm room.

REEFerMAdNESS88

only sound for me is the power head and table fan i use to keep it cool during hotter days. Having said that the sound of trickling weater can be quite soothing it may make you have to pee however.

it depends what it is a light hum is acceptable to sleep next to it drones out other noises but i grinding from a pump would drive me up the walls

Archived