Pod Your Reef

Tiger Blenny won't leave shell

magikarp

My Tiger Blenny always enjoys chillin in a upside down shell, but I am a bit concerned, he has been in the same one for 2 days now and refuses to leave.

He keeps his body half in, half out all the time. So he can watch what is going on but won't leave. I'm concerned because a hermit crab started messing with the shell and rather than leave it like he normally would, instead he retreated deeper

Get him a bigger shell! He'll love you for it. Then you put the shell pretty much anywhere and know where he is.

Mine was very similar. I could lift the shell out of the water and he'd wait patiently in the teaspoon of water till I put him back in the tank.

photobucket-12795-1383866763606_zpsc8f43

Is he eating?

He ate a couple mouthfuls of food that passed his shell. He's normally so fat I'm worried he will burst, still a healthy weight for now. He mostly eats film algae from the rocks and glass rather than what I put into the tank, so it's hard to say how much he gets just by watching him at feeding time

I'm worried something has spooked him, he's normally such a bold fish

He ate a couple mouthfuls of food that passed his shell. He's normally so fat I'm worried he will burst, still a healthy weight for now. He mostly eats film algae from the rocks and glass rather than what I put into the tank, so it's hard to say how much he gets just by watching him at feeding time

I'm worried something has spooked him, he's normally such a bold fish

Any new tank mates? New cats in the house? Maybe he's a she and it's nesting instinct ;)

No new tank mates, and it's an understocked (7 fish) 115g.

I noticed he changed she'll today, but looks pale. I'll try target feed him tonight

i'm really worried now. I have target fed for 2 days and it's a real effort to get him to eat even a small amount of food.

And target feeding is incredibly difficult in my tank. Even though there's only another couple fish, my Yellow tang and female occy are impossible to satisfy and such competitive eaters.

Should I isolate the blenny to try feed it void of competition?

Placate the tangs with food on one side of the tank then shoot some his direction. Or you could move his shell into a spot easier to reach.

Yeah, that doesn't work. The tang will only follow where I'm feeding at the time. Then look for whatever it missed later. Even tried 2 people feeding the tank at once, it won't be distracted

I tried to hand feed again today. It's hard to see exactly how much he is eating. But he finally left the shell for a few minutes and didn't look sucked in, although he is noticeably more pale than before.

I'll keep hand feeding best I can.

My other fish are loving it, all the extra food, my clowns are spawning like crazy

this is so frustrating and disheartening. I made some progress, got him to eat a good amount of flake from my hand a couple days in a row, and he is spending more time out of the shell. But unfortunately still not grazing.

The female clown and yellow tang are making things so hard. Hand feeding started OK because they were afraid of my hand, but not really anymore, I can grab the tang in the water with my hand and it doesnt care. It follows where ever I am feeding. I put a whole cube of mysis shrimp in the water to distract the Tang, but it completely ignored it, preferring to follow around my empty hand. My female clown is more and more aggressively biting my hand when I put it in the tank. It is also marking territory by rubbing it's head in the sand near my Blenny's preferred hideout. And no matter how much they eat, how fat they get, their appetite and baldness only increases.

You'll have to move the blenny to a spot up high that you can spot feed him. Either that, or get rid of some fish. I'll let you choose which fish you like best.

Sometimes nature doesn't follow our plans... actually, usually :)

Mother nature is a bitch like that

thanks Metrokat, that was a really good idea. It briefly worked, but once he realised he was trapped he freaked out big time. I'll try find a bigger container and try again.

What about a feeding clip for the tangs/other fish? Put roggers food on it or nori. Once they learn the clip = food, they may be more interested in that then your hand.

Like I said, they are dumb. They'd ignore an all you can eat buffet to follow around an empty hand. The other fish in the tank will be distracted by other food, just my Clown and my Tang.

I got the Blenny to eat a decent amount of pellets (0.5mm) yesterday. I'll keep feeding these, hopefully get some weight back on him.

He is better than a week ago, he leaves the shell. But still not grazing as he was previously.

I'm really happy, yesterday he competed for food, so I didn't hand feed for the first time in 2 weeks.

He's also out of the shell during the day.

Archived